Author Topic: Pointed Pen Calligraphy Supplies - Starter Kit  (Read 31432 times)

Offline Kate Knowles

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Pointed Pen Calligraphy Supplies - Starter Kit
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 06:12:02 PM »
Which size do I need for the pen? I know it says Nikko G, but I don't see that as an option on the website. Maybe I just don't know the abbreviation. Sorry for so many posts, I'm still figuring out all of this.

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 06:25:25 PM »
Which size do I need for the pen? I know it says Nikko G, but I don't see that as an option on the website. Maybe I just don't know the abbreviation. Sorry for so many posts, I'm still figuring out all of this.

I believe only John Neal has them pre sized for different nibs

http://www.johnnealbooks.com/product/2960/133
http://www.johnnealbooks.com/product/3795/133

Simply select NIKK for the Nikko G

The flange is relatively easy to adjust if you wanted to order from Paper & Ink Arts as well.

Offline Kate Knowles

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 06:50:26 PM »
Thank you! I really am clueless about all of this.

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 07:33:52 PM »
Thank you! I really am clueless about all of this.

Thats how we all started! :) Don't be afraid to ask anything.

Offline Cheri

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Stellar Camp
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 06:54:53 AM »
Oh, too late. I already made my purchase yesterday :-[ The inks I have are Higgins Eternal, Pelikan 4001 black and Winsor and Newton but the one I keep practicing with is Pelikan (it feathers sometimes). For practice paper I used the one recommended in Eleanor's book, Bienfang. I did not know where to look for recommendations on good ink and paper. I'll try to look for the HP laser choice paper your using. I might be able to save with that :D

Thank you very much for this list! I always did read that Sumi ink are highly recommendable.

Offline LinenAndTwine

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 06:43:18 PM »
I use the HP Premium Choice Laser ($17/500 sheets) almost exclusively unless I need to lay out a larger piece. I just bought HP Bright White Inkjet ($12/500 sheets) and it isn't as smooth as the Laser but it seems to work fine! And it's $5 less per ream.

Since the majority of my work is for reproduction it's almost all I use!

Hi Erica!

I recently purchased the HP Premium Choice Laser paper and noticed that my nibs (Nikko G and Hunt 22B) have been catching on the paper fibers (just a bit, nothing extreme). Just wondering if you've encountered this issue?

Thanks!

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 08:29:28 PM »
Hi lineandtwine, I use the HP paper you mentioned. My nibs the nikko G, the tach. G and the EF Principal Nib all catch in the fibers of the paper on the upstrokes especially when it goes through some wet ink already on the paper. So I defiantly experience this, not sure bout other folks.

Offline Cindy_H

• Freshman Member
  • Always in pursuit of happiness...
    • View Profile
    • Love, Cindy ADH
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2015, 11:14:33 PM »
This guide is so helpful. I know I'll be making a supply purchase soon, my first one. And forgive me but I'm so terribly excited about it.
Love, Cindy ADH
Mother, Wife, Lover of Animals, Crafter
Instagram ~ Blog ~ YouTube Channel

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2015, 12:51:10 PM »
Sorry I didn't see this earlier... for future reference. The Hunt 22B will catch on just about anything. I do not have problems with the Nikko G catching except when using an ink like Higgins Eternal. I don't have catching problems with Walnut ink or McCaffreys with the Nikko G and the laser paper. Although I will say if it is extremely humid or pouring rain, no matter what I use catches.

Thanks!

Hi Erica!

I recently purchased the HP Premium Choice Laser paper and noticed that my nibs (Nikko G and Hunt 22B) have been catching on the paper fibers (just a bit, nothing extreme). Just wondering if you've encountered this issue?

Thanks!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline JohnNealBooks

• View Profile
    • John Neal Books
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 08:00:55 PM »
We have recently found a new paper for all of our JNB pads.  It is smooth enough for pointed pen, but also works great with broad edge.  I tested with Higgins Eternal, McCaffery, Pelikan and several Noodler colors....NO feathering!  We have it in plain graph (items P21 and P22), copperplate graph (item P01) and blank (items P20 and P25). 

If you want a FREE sample sheet, please let us know when you order or send me a PM with your address. 

We used to use an HP paper, but Higgins and Pelikan both started feathering.  I tested 20+ papers before I found "the one". 

Cheers,
Michael

Offline sarah_pascoe

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2016, 10:39:49 AM »
Does anyone have any suggestions of starter supplies available in the UK??

Regards

Sarah x

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2016, 11:13:55 AM »
What are you looking for specifically, @sarah_pascoe ?  You'll find a list of the principal European suppliers in this thread - pretty much everything is available within the UK, or close equivalents.

Offline sarah_pascoe

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2016, 01:39:28 PM »
Thanks for that Andy T - just starting out and looking for the basic starter items without paying a fortune for postage.  That thread is perfect for me, thank you  ;D

S x