Author Topic: Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy: A Step-by-Step Manual by Eleanor Winters  (Read 22648 times)

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
I agree with everyone here, this is a great, reliable book for Copperplate. It's how I got started with my own practice. You can always flesh it out with Erica's tutorials here, Schin's videos, calligraphy workshops, and video tips from calligraphers you like on IG because (IMO) there's no substitute for seeing calligraphy (strokes, flow, etc.) done in real time and by hand. Good luck!

Offline tomcalligraphy

• View Profile
I prefer the Zanerian Manual compared to this book. The letter forms demonstrated aren't as good as it is in the Manual. Seeing old master penman like Lupfer's exemplar and information about each letter really helped me a lot more than this book, but that's just one man's opinion.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
I prefer the Zanerian Manual compared to this book. The letter forms demonstrated aren't as good as it is in the Manual. Seeing old master penman like Lupfer's exemplar and information about each letter really helped me a lot more than this book, but that's just one man's opinion.

I agree.

The Engrosser's Script letterforms in the Zanerian Manual are closer to the 18th Century English Roundhand examples in the Universal Penman; and it doesn't get any better than that IMO.

Ken
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 08:03:21 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline FrancescaV

• View Profile
Re: Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy: A Step-by-Step Manual by Eleanor Winters
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2015, 09:29:52 AM »
Is it still possible to pick up the Zanerian Manual?
A pen is to me as a beak is to a hen -J.R.R Tolkien

Instagram

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 11:18:06 AM »

I don't know if there is more than one Zanerian Manual.
This one is available
http://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/s?keyword=zanerian+manual

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2015, 12:00:55 PM »
I agree - the Zanerian manual is more true to an Engrosser's Script and very crisp, excellent exemplars. It wasn't recommended so much last year or earlier this year because it was out of print and difficult to get. However, John Neal has brought it back to us. Hooray!

I will say though, I think Eleanor Winter's book offers more in-depth study of each and every letter.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2015, 01:37:12 PM »
Personally I would recommend the Zanerian Manual as having better letterforms than those in Eleanor Winter's book. Dr. Vitolo's free eBook is also excellent, especially as it has videos of all the letters being written:

http://zanerian.com/
Andrew

@andrewdh

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2015, 04:02:42 PM »
Personally I would recommend the Zanerian Manual as having better letterforms than those in Eleanor Winter's book. Dr. Vitolo's free eBook is also excellent, especially as it has videos of all the letters being written:

Ahh, but you have to have an iPad for Dr. Vitolo's book.  I like Eleanor Winters book for instruction.  You can always fine tune you letters later.

Offline tomcalligraphy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2015, 04:36:05 PM »

Ahh, but you have to have an iPad for Dr. Vitolo's book.  I like Eleanor Winters book for instruction.  You can always fine tune you letters later.

Also Senior Master Penman William Lilly has an in-depth letter by letter book that you can get from PIA. I mean he was the one that taught Joe Vitolo. 

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2015, 05:08:48 PM »

You can get all of his lessons online. All the videos, too. So, you do need a computer...
I believe they are under lessons at the IAMPETH site - don't have time to look right now.
His own website, zanerian.com might have everything.
Videos are on YouTube

Offline FrancescaV

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2015, 05:59:01 AM »

I don't know if there is more than one Zanerian Manual.
This one is available
http://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/s?keyword=zanerian+manual

Thanks for the link Jean! I think that might be an early Christmas present!!
A pen is to me as a beak is to a hen -J.R.R Tolkien

Instagram

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2015, 07:21:19 AM »
I learned calligraphy using Eleanor Winter's book & the great videos on IAMPETH.  Lately, I have spent more time using Dick Jackson's book:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0486803864?keywords=Dick%20Jackson&qid=1447676320&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I find it to be very reliable!  I also have the reprinted Zanerian's Manual and find the examples to be very, very good.  However, you do not get the in-depth instruction that you get from Ms. Winters' book!

Janis

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2015, 07:24:41 PM »

I don't own an iPad, but I do have a Mac and I used that to read it in iBooks (or half of it, until I started picking up lessons from all over). Dr Vitolo also has a PDF of the book available, and all the videos are on youtube; that would be my preference if I were starting again today and didn't have a Mac/iPad.
Andrew

@andrewdh

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2015, 07:47:43 PM »
Also Senior Master Penman William Lilly has an in-depth letter by letter book that you can get from PIA. I mean he was the one that taught Joe Vitolo.

I didn't know that Joe learned from Bill Lilly, I was under the impression that he learned his script from study of the work of Willis Baird and other masters. But regardless, I firmly believe that he has since taken analysis of the fundamental forms and principles of Engrosser's Script to a level I have never seen in any other instruction I've come across so far. The big BUT here is that I haven't been able to buy Bill Lilly's book as yet (I do have his DVD), so accept that I could be completely wrong! ;)
Andrew

@andrewdh

Offline tomcalligraphy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2015, 09:18:54 PM »

I didn't know that Joe learned from Bill Lilly, I was under the impression that he learned his script from study of the work of Willis Baird and other masters. But regardless, I firmly believe that he has since taken analysis of the fundamental forms and principles of Engrosser's Script to a level I have never seen in any other instruction I've come across so far. The big BUT here is that I haven't been able to buy Bill Lilly's book as yet (I do have his DVD), so accept that I could be completely wrong! ;)

Not saying Joe Vitolo is bad, but on his video for the letter W and V. For the ending stroke he just does a weird quick shoot across the page, I'm not even sure how to describe it. I'll go and find the videos.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 09:31:33 PM by tomcalligraphy »