Author Topic: Hi from Oregon  (Read 646 times)

Offline Aries M

• View Profile
Hi from Oregon
« on: May 18, 2021, 07:12:00 PM »
Hello everyone!

My name is Aries :) I am very excited to be apart of this community (and the calligraphy community in general!). Calligraphy is such a calming, relaxing, time consuming, and sometimes exhausting hobby that has turned into a full blown passion for me as it has for so many others!

I'm a big fan of Harry Potter. I love the quills and the idea of writing with quills and ink. So I bought a fancy feather for my home office March 2020. After playing around with it and the ink it came with, I quickly invested in speedball set by June. I found and fell in love with point pen scripts (heeeello Copperplate! ;D) and it became my saving grace in quarantine. I love love love everything about it. The sound of the nib on paper, the smell of sumi ink, the never ending chase of perfection! All of these things have led me here in hopes of continuing to develop my knowledge and hand, as well as making friends with such an amazing group of people.

When I'm not writing and rewriting my letters, I spend a lot of time with my son and Wife out side enjoying everything the PNW has to offer. I look forward to getting to know all of you and making some new snail mail/pen pal buddies!

;D Aries

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Oregon
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 10:29:49 PM »
Hi Aries (what a great name!),
I can’t think of a better way to pass the time in quarantine than learning Calligraphy! Be sure to check out our tutorials section for some good videos. I’m a huge Harry Potter fan as well! Let us know if you have any questions as you go.
Welcome to Flourish!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 02:56:06 PM »
Welcome Aries!  I am a huge Harry Potter fan myself. In fact, I have a wizard wand pen holder - I just couldn't help myself.

It's not very often I hear someone say they enjoy the smell of sumi ink; usually it's quite the opposite, so that made me chuckle.  I personally don't mind it, but I also barely notice the smell anymore.

Anyhow, it sounds like you're loving every bit of calligraphy, and that's wonderful!  We're glad to have you here.

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 08:50:16 AM »
Hi Aries, welcome to the forum!

What a great way to be introduced to calligraphy. Sounds like you're hooked now :). I also love the smell of sumi, so earthy.