Author Topic: Inktober 2021  (Read 10912 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Inktober 2021
« Reply #120 on: November 02, 2021, 09:13:53 AM »
@AnasaziWrites I can’t wait to see your Inkvent creations. I didn’t get one this year, but a lot of members in our local FP club did, so I am sure I’ll get to see lots of samples.
@darrin1200
I'm guessing you meant to address this to K-2, although who knows, perhaps I'll get the 2021 Inkvent as well, and join in the fun on the proposed thread.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2021, 09:41:45 AM »
@Erica McPhee - I'm going to be testing inks from the Diamine 2021 Inkvent Calendar for my own purposes, and I could post the results here on the Forum if anyone is interested in them.
I'm sure there are lots of people who would like to see these test results.

My process is as follows - I make a swatch with a broad edge script, a pointed pen script, a chromatography test to see how the ink bleeds, and a bleach segment.  Then I draw a picture with it (using the name of the ink as a prompt).  I do this with pretty much all of the inks in my studio collection, so that I can refer to them for various art and calligraphy projects.  It helps me know about their level of bleach reactivity and suitability for various sorts of lettering, drawing, and painting.
@K-2
What paper are you using with these swatches? How about the drawings?

So here are two test swatches from the Diamine 2019 Inkvent Calendar with their corresponding drawings.  The inks are "Purple Bow" (a standard purple) and "Happy Holidays" (blue with a red sheen and a silver shimmer).  This year I'm going to do more rigorous test swatches though.

I know at some point the Forum decided that an ink thread might be more trouble than it's worth, given the variability of how color appears on different monitors and such.  But maybe this sort of experimental design might encourage other forum members to try out different types of ink in different ways.  Maybe some flourishers might even already be planning to get this year's Inkvent Calendar and could post their own work too.  I don't know - if you don't think it sounds relevant, I completely understand.
There are already some threads about ink in the Tools and Supplies section of the forum, and your swatches would be most welcome there I would think. The drawings would have wider appeal, and might be put best in the Open Forum section, or you could put the swatches with the drawings. What do you think, @Erica McPhee  ? You could confine the thread to "Inkvent Drawings" or open it up to something like "Drawing in Ink" where others might participate with other drawings or scripts with ink of various types. So many possibilities. I do hope you will proceed with this over time on the forum.

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2021, 10:05:48 AM »
@AnasaziWrites I can’t wait to see your Inkvent creations. I didn’t get one this year, but a lot of members in our local FP club did, so I am sure I’ll get to see lots of samples.
@darrin1200
I'm guessing you meant to address this to K-2, although who knows, perhaps I'll get the 2021 Inkvent as well, and join in the fun on the proposed thread.

OMG Where was my head this morning. The Inkvent note was meant for @K-2 . But I do hope you put your hand to it as well. I’m sure the results will be outstanding.
Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 02, 2021, 11:33:50 AM »
@AnasaziWrites - those 2019 Invent swatches are on Col-O-Ring paper.  I use them to keep all my ink swatches in sort of chromatic order so that I can refer to them for projects.  The drawings are on Fabriano 140lb/300gsm paper.  It's not my favorite paper, but it's priced well for everyday sketching and study purposes.

@darrin1200 - Thank you so much for your kind thoughts.  After I finish this Dante project, I'm going to owe myself a new pen.  How's that BlueDew project coming along?  Can you make me an orange body for one?  Hmmm.  that reminds me - I'd better send your holiday card now, so that it gets to you before... Easter.

--yours truly, K

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
« Reply #124 on: November 02, 2021, 12:10:48 PM »
@K-2 i just finished another project, and was going to try a section for the BlueDew this afternoon.
I’ll let you know how it goes.
Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2021, 01:51:56 PM »
YES! That is a wonderful idea. I am going to set up a board.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram