Author Topic: Zebra G vs Nikko G for beginners  (Read 33476 times)

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
Re: Zebra G vs Nikko G for beginners
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2015, 09:48:55 AM »
the best way to determine if you like a nib...try it.  and if you don't like it, hang on to it and revisit it every now and again.  as your skill and style changes and develops, so will your ability to use different nibs.  I go thru phases of favorites.

clangsdorf

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2015, 03:09:14 PM »
Totally agree with Joi - I go through phases. A nib will be my favorite until I run into a paper problem and am forced to try something new. Then that nib takes over.

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2015, 06:45:04 PM »
Brian's Unique Oblique, I finally was able to get my hands on, had a Nikko G with it when I purchased it.

You are most fortunate!  I had the Devil's own time trying to legitimately acquire a UniqueOblique. In the end I had to stop as it was simply wasting too much of my time trying to watch for them to magically appear like mushrooms after the rains.  That was when a kindly FPN member stepped in and offered to make a holder for me (pictures elsewhere on this forum).

As for the G nibs, I started with a Zebra G and really like it. As others note it takes abuse in its stride and lasts a good long time. In fact, I am still on my first one, and this is several months after taking up this hobby! Admittedly i do not do as much writing as others, but even so...

I also have a Nikko G (just the one) and although the shape is subtly different I don't notice that much difference in writing character. However, I am still a beginner so it is quite possible - highly likely in fact - that I am not sensitive enough to feel the difference yet.

Overall I would like to say that there is nothing scary about using any nib.  I have used Gillott 303s and Leonardt Principals and so on. None are beyond use by a beginner in my opinion, as long as a modicum of care and patience is applied.  If someone takes a Principal and mashes it into the page like a ballpoint (sorry for the bad language!) then all bets are off.

Offline andy277

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2015, 06:53:53 AM »
I guess it depends on your goal, I could see how starting off with a G nib would discourage someone who is aiming to create works with whisper thin hairlines and expressive shades, but I disagree that using a G nib will create difficult to break habits of heavy handedness. Additionally I've seen some incredible works done by Michael Sull with a Nikko G.

I don't think anyone has said that using a G nib will "create difficult to break habits of heavy handedness". For my part, I don't see how they can encourage users to develop a light hand, because you can't get shades with a G nib without using a relatively heavy hand, but that's not the same as saying they will develop difficult to break habits. If someone wants to get serious about pointed pen, however, I do believe that they will have to learn how to use a more flexible nib, so I think they may as well start learning with one straight away, and save time.

I'm probably in the minority here, but while I think that Michael Sull has done a tremendous amount to promote Spencerian script and is probably an excellent historian of the hand, I've never been that impressed by his actual script. His use of G nibs seems to me to rob his writing of the delicacy that I find so vital to the beauty of Spencerian, and his reliance on finger movement over arm movement makes his curves less smooth and even.

Offline tomcalligraphy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2015, 10:21:56 AM »
I guess it depends on your goal, I could see how starting off with a G nib would discourage someone who is aiming to create works with whisper thin hairlines and expressive shades, but I disagree that using a G nib will create difficult to break habits of heavy handedness. Additionally I've seen some incredible works done by Michael Sull with a Nikko G.

I don't think anyone has said that using a G nib will "create difficult to break habits of heavy handedness". For my part, I don't see how they can encourage users to develop a light hand, because you can't get shades with a G nib without using a relatively heavy hand, but that's not the same as saying they will develop difficult to break habits. If someone wants to get serious about pointed pen, however, I do believe that they will have to learn how to use a more flexible nib, so I think they may as well start learning with one straight away, and save time.

I'm probably in the minority here, but while I think that Michael Sull has done a tremendous amount to promote Spencerian script and is probably an excellent historian of the hand, I've never been that impressed by his actual script. His use of G nibs seems to me to rob his writing of the delicacy that I find so vital to the beauty of Spencerian, and his reliance on finger movement over arm movement makes his curves less smooth and even.

I totally agree with you. He's become so accustomed to them that he told me that he breaks LP in about 5 name plates, where as he can write all week with one G nib.

Offline Os

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2015, 11:54:30 AM »
Out of all the Japanese G nibs, I prefer the Tachikawa because I find it the most flexible :) My fingers easily fatigue, and exerting that downward pressure takes its toll on me, so I'm a huge fan of flexible nibs :) When it comes to very fine hairlines, though, the Zebra takes the cake :)

Offline Sanbearz

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2016, 06:07:19 AM »
Hey guys!
Personally I prefer Nikko G over Zebra G as my inability to control the force on it! Nikko G seems to help me to write with more consistent lines since it'd more stiff......  Though it would mean that I can't train controlling the force I use to control the line variation.....
Just the do a summary, so other beginner alternatives are Gillott 303, Leonardt Principal, Brause 66EF and anything else? :)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2016, 04:18:14 PM »

I would humbly suggest that you may possibly not have seen his best work (certainly not at a pen show or convention where he is writing endless nameplates for everyone who asks using a nib that can take the punishment)

=&field_artist_tid[value_field]=+%22%22Michael+Sull%22%22]http://www.iampeth.com/artwork?field_artist_tid[textfield]=&field_artist_tid[value_field]=+%22%22Michael+Sull%22%22
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 04:38:45 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2016, 07:06:30 PM »
After reading this thread, I've come to the conclusion that the best thing to do as a pointed pen newbie would be to buy a variety pack of nibs and try them all to see which feels best.  I did a search and found that John Neal Books has such a thing and I think it has all of the nibs mentioned on this thread.  Might be worth checking out.
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline Mudman

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2016, 12:27:56 AM »
I'm a beginner and started out with the the Nikko, Titanium, and Zebra nibs. Love them for more textured paper. I usually go nuts buying nibs, and try them all. Just when I think I've found a favorite, a new one will takes it's place. Recently I started using a Leonardt Principal (tricky little nib to learn on), prior to that was an Esterbrook 358.

So many options, so little time.  ;D

Offline Daniel Mastrofski

• View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Daniel Mastrofski
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2016, 02:18:12 PM »
I have been learning copperplate for a few months now and feel i have progressed nicely but still having issues with getting smooth thick lines.....i am using zebra g nibs in a desaderata pen. Perhaps its my technique although i have almost religiously been following Paul Antonios advice on technique here. Would anyone suggest a new nib for me to experiment with? I am mostly a broad edge guy but have really been obsessed and in love with pointed calligraphy lately and would like to take some chances....what would you go for after a zebra g? According to Pierre at Desaderata Pens, he says his pens are really only compatible with zebra, Nemosine, Pilot and Goulet nibs.....
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 02:30:05 PM by Daniel Mastrofski »
Instagram : @danielmastrofski