Author Topic: Should I switch from Spencerian to Italic?  (Read 8508 times)

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
Re: Should I switch from Spencerian to Italic?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 07:14:28 AM »
Yes, I am still around and I will enjoy adding my 2-cents to this conversation.
Before you dismiss italics entirely, let me find some samples and post them - so you can see what part of italics will be of benefit to your legibility.
I don't think you need to dive into italics entirely, because your goal is to improve legibility.
The fun of working on penmanship is that you personalize any style and create something that is your very own still.
And then - you get to enjoy feedback - because people sometimes comment on beautiful penmanship because it is so rare.
Again, I know this from helping students - and their stories about how good it felt when someone was amazed at how beautiful their writing was.

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 07:56:36 AM »
I didn't see the examples you posted until I scrolled further.

First -- you illustrate perfectly that half the problem is speed. Most of the time people can improve legibility by slowing down.

Second -- you have several things going on that are already very nice that you can build on. The main one is your consistent slant.
Most of the time you have enough space between your letters. A common problem with legibility is that there is too little space between the letters.
Check your normal speed sample and notice the places where letters are touching. On the careful sample - all the letter spacing is perfect.

So, you are in a perfect position to start repairing things.
The two main areas to work on are:
taking the time to form letters that have enough space within the letters.
Keeping your x-height consistent.

When you write fast, certain letters are done so quickly, they become small and pinched -
At some point, you might want to analyze each letter - but for now, just look at the a, o, and e.
Some are quite a bit shorter than adjacent letters. Some are so tight there is no *counter* - the word used for the space enclosed by the letter.
And some are both.

There is no magical way to correct issues caused by speed. All you need to do is slow down. Eventually, your accuracy will improve and you can speed up naturally. Forcing yourself to write larger will help, but it will feel unnatural - so it's something to try. For some people it works very well, for others it is just annoying. You're the one who has to try everything and sort out what's right for you. Think of it a physical therapy for an injury. You don't have to do it forever, but it will speed the healing process if you can force yourself to do it for a little bit. Once you see some results, you might feel better about the process.

Side note on the Spencerian e -- it's very tricky to keep it open enough. On your careful sample, the a's and o's are all very nice. Some of the e's are pretty tight. Your careful sample shows that you have the basics down -- so your main task is to find a way to enjoy practicing and building up muscle memory and then rev up the speed gradually.

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 09:29:33 AM »
Yes, I am still around and I will enjoy adding my 2-cents to this conversation.
Before you dismiss italics entirely, let me find some samples and post them - so you can see what part of italics will be of benefit to your legibility.

Great, I look forward to seeing them for truly from what Ms. Erica shared, I truly do NOT like italics . . . . sorry - kinda.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Trazo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2020, 01:05:02 PM »
A lot have said (and shown) in this thread by people much more qualified than I am, but I thought I could add a suggestion. If your main goal is to improve your everyday writing on a monoline basis, I can recommend you "The lost art of handwriting by Brenna Jordan (https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Brenna-Jordan/dp/1507209363).  I find this book very instructive and inspiring. The main script taught in it is a cursive with a Spencerian filiation, but she shows how to play with it in different ways (entrance and exit strokes, simple flourishes, capital variations...). She also presents italics (you never know when if you will change your mind in the future) and roman capitals, and (which I find very interesting) how to combine all these scripts in a tasty lay out. A little book that will keep you busy for a while.

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2020, 04:41:25 PM »

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2020, 12:48:13 AM »

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2020, 01:24:10 AM »
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2022, 10:29:45 AM »
so your main task is to find a way to enjoy practicing and building up muscle memory and then rev up the speed gradually.

Still working at this, Jean.  Talk about a life long journey.  Phew!!!
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2022, 06:42:53 AM »
For me, Italic is always the best starting point.