Author Topic: Ink Swatches  (Read 6765 times)

Offline ericp

• View Profile
Re: Ink Swatches
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 09:29:15 AM »
This reminds me that in the watercolor space, we have the wonderful and now infamous handprint web site.  In terms of thoroughness, this gentleman (Bruce MacEvoy) has gone to some major trouble in terms of spectroscopy and pigment analysis and stuff like that...

In case you haven't witnessed it yet:   :P

www.handprint.com

A very valuable resource whether you are interested in watercolor or not, I mean just the color theory stuff is utterly fascinating.  Hours of reading!

Offline MH

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 04:18:50 PM »
I'd love to read ink (and other media) reviews here as they'd have a calligraphy focus vs. fountain pen focus.

I find swatches useful even if they aren't perfectly lit or color corrected. I feel like nothing online will perfectly capture and communicate what a color will look like IRL on paper but I would look at them the way I do makeup swatches online. Just as a source of additional information with more context than a lot of official product shots. I'd hate to discourage people from even trying just because it won't be perfect.

A simple photo with the ink name + what you liked and didn't like about it for the way you used it could be so helpful and with forum format the discussion of that review would probably fill in any gaps vs. having to write a super long review.

Offline JohnNealBooks

• View Profile
    • John Neal Books
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2015, 08:58:17 AM »
We have gathered many of our ink swatches on one page:
http://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/1225

Cheers, Michael

Offline Marcia Aronow

• View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Marcia Aronow
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 11:53:35 AM »
Michael, thanks, your link is very helpful & reminded me that I need to order the Dr. Martin's spectralite gray inks.  I get a lot of requests for gray & usually mix, but not having to do that would be a time saver. 
Enjoy your day!
Marcia