Author Topic: Can you help me?  (Read 3626 times)

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Can you help me?
« on: May 04, 2019, 06:19:07 PM »
Hello!

I have a bit of an odd request. In addition to a love of letters, I am a scientist and a hobby naturalist. Something else I love to do is take pictures of sand at a microscope level. I would love to do this using samples from all over the world.

This is where you can help me dear FF friends. As the weather warms and we gravitate to the waterways, will you please think of me and send me some sand? I don't need much...a couple of teaspoons worth will do! I promise to give you credit and will send a letter in return.

Please message me and I will send me address if you have some sand to send my way.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 06:21:37 PM by Starlee »
Star

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
Re: Can you help me?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 11:04:16 AM »
I live by the sea, and there are 3 beaches in a walking distance from my house. I can send you some samples and provide some information if you want it. One of them was not in a good shape and was fixed with sand from the bottom of the near sea, another one still has some coal from a many-years-ago accident. Maybe you get interesting photos from those.
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 09:11:52 PM »
Not to put a dampener on what sounds like a terrific project, but are there any biohazards involved with sending such material overseas?

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 11:49:29 AM »
@Inked botanicals that would be great!

@Empty_of_Clouds I double checked. Apparently a strip company tried that for their luau themed night in unmarked envelopes and it was taken for anthrax :S Another company will send sand (among other things) to your 'enemy'. :S :S This world just keeps getting more crazy.

Bottom line: sand is ok to send (it is not on the mailing restricted lists I found), but it should be placed in a sealed small plastic bag (ziploc, twist-tie), and then in the envelope.
Star

Offline NikkiB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 12:26:10 PM »
I will happily send some over when I go to Barmouth in Wales at the end of May 😊
Nikki x

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 08:58:03 PM »
@Starlee

Cool  8)   I will endeavour to get some New Zealand sand for you!  ;D

*did you see what I did there?

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 01:39:29 PM »
Months ago, @Inked botanicals supplied me with not one, but 3 samples, of sand from Spain. Thank you Alba!!! I finally have gotten around to taking the pictures, and the results are beautiful. I thought I would share. To put things into perspective, the entire picture is 5.5 mm wide. The first pic is from Playa del Arbeyal in northern Spain; a natural beach that had a facelift using sand from the bottom of the nearby sea. The second is from Playa de San Lorenzo, which is not far from Arbeyal. The third is from Playa de Poniente, a man-made beach on the East side of Spain. So cool! If anyone else would share some small samples of sand, I would be happy to receive and share the results. :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 01:44:02 PM by Starlee »
Star

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 01:43:13 PM »
Here are a couple I have of Ontario Canada...so far I have Pelee Island and Kincardine...which is really funny that I do not yet have a sample of lake Ontario given that I live right across the street from the beach...lol Still....the differences between regions are fascinating
Star

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 02:07:23 PM »
How cool @Starlee !

I wouldn't have thought sand would look so different; it's beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 05:37:47 PM »
Like tiny jewels :)!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 06:09:18 PM »
This is fascinating!  It looks like a teeeeeeeny tiny little seashell in the top middle of the first photo.  Wouldn't that be crazy! 

I do have some sand from the bay a couple blocks from me - I'll snag some and send it to you!

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 02:01:15 PM »
Sooooo cool!!! How different they are, right??? Amazing!

It looks like a teeeeeeeny tiny little seashell in the top middle of the first photo.  Wouldn't that be crazy! 

That would be right! They are quite common around here! It looks like the beach is just sand but if you look well you can see a lot of those super tiny seashells!
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 06:40:32 PM »
So fascinating! I will have to get you a sample from Siesta Key Beach which was just named #1 in the country again and in the top 10 in the world!  :o
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Emilyrose

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Extras by Emily Website
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 09:11:08 PM »
Love the pictures!  I will send you some Charleston, South Carolina sand the next time we go to the beach!

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2020, 11:13:03 AM »
@Starlee Wow, I agree this is so fascinating! And like what Stefanie said--they really do look like tiny jewels.

If you still want some sand, I'll definitely send you some from Hilton Head, South Carolina in June.
@Emilyrose It would be interesting to see how the sand differs from Charleston.