Author Topic: Italic at an excessive slope  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Italic at an excessive slope
« on: December 03, 2020, 06:16:57 AM »
I think that this looks OK, although I know that this is considered too sloping for Italic  :(

Offline K-2

• View Profile
Re: Italic at an excessive slope
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 11:20:58 AM »
Beautiful!  But I've definitely seen historic examples of Cancelleresca Corsiva that slope that much, so I wouldn't say all people at all times "considered it too sloping for Italic".  Here's a 17th century poem by Lady Mary Worth (a young contemporary of Shakespeare) in her own hand, that shows just such a considerable slope: "Love leave to urge" (at the Folger Shakespeare Library)

https://luna.folger.edu/luna/servlet/detail/FOLGERCM1~6~6~248677~116414:Pamphilia-to-Amphilanthus?sort=call_number%2Cmpsortorder1%2Ccd_title%2Cimprint&qvq=q:call_number%3D%22V.a.104%22;sort:call_number%2Cmpsortorder1%2Ccd_title%2Cimprint;lc:FOLGERCM1~6~6&mi=14&trs=147

--yours, K

Offline Karl H

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 04:04:42 PM »
I'm actually a fan of italic at a slant in excess of what is considered "normal."  Try as I might, I find that my hand just wants to write it at just such an angle, and I find it equally pleasing to the eye as the classic slant.  If I don't use ruled slant lines, as I progress the letters start slanting more and more of their own accord (it feels like.)  If I'm just messing around, no big deal (other than that it reinforces a bad habit), but if it's to be a finished piece... well, I'd better use guidelines.  For some reason though, I don't have that problem when writing in a circle or spiral ... just in a straight line.  Odd....

Nice work as always, Ken!  And I've always loved that quote from Isaac Asimov... one of my favorite sci-fi authors from younger days.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 04:06:31 PM by Karl H »

Offline Ngaire_W

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 02:09:22 PM »
Beautiful! Your spacing is absolutely impeccable!