Author Topic: Help with M's and N's please  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Scap

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Help with M's and N's please
« on: February 02, 2016, 01:37:40 PM »
I am a beginner (started at Christmas) and am having a great time learning Copperplate based on the information from this great group, specifically the worksheets posted by Erica. Thank you so much, these are a great resource for noobs like myself.
I am still very shaky and have not made it through the worksheets but I am doing this for fun and fun is what I am having so far. I also do understand that practice and repetition are necessary to get better and am willing to put in the time and effort. However...... capital M's and N's seem to have a mind of their own and are not cooperating no matter how many pages I fill with them. I can't wrap my head around the slants and their alignment to the basic 55° slant. Should either of the four basic lines of the capital M be aligned with the slant or are all four at different angle or only 2......?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have attached a picture to show the level that I am at (which ain't much yet but it will be).

Thanks in advance,

Steffen

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help with M's and N's please
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 06:16:44 PM »
Hello Steffen.  :)

Have you found Erica's videos yet, in the Pointed Pen Nirvana section?  This one should help a lot.

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 01:26:54 AM »
HI Steffen,
Like Andy said,  Erica's video is amazing to get a clear picture on how to form the letters.  That is where I started my journey into calligraphy too.

What also helped me a LOT in getting the letterforms proportions consistent in width and height, was the guidelines mentioned in this thread.

http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=3322.msg45957#msg45957         (Reply#4)

Using these guidelines I could focus on the width to height proportions and get the spacing correct.  Still need a lot of practice but it's getting there.  ;D

I have attached a picture to show how the guidelines help me in forming the letters .
Hope this helps

Happy writing
-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline Scap

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 11:00:21 AM »
Thanks guys,

That helps. The video was not completely clear to me but based on he picture I see that the main alignment is the second and fourth stroke at the 55° angle.

M is certainly kicking my butt.

steffen