Author Topic: My Favorite Nibs for Pointed Pen  (Read 124547 times)

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
Re: My Favorite Nibs for Pointed Pen
« Reply #195 on: March 18, 2020, 06:56:56 AM »
Keep in mind - you get different results with each combination of nib - ink - and paper.
Nikko G's with McCaffrey's ink on Rhodia or Clairefontaine paper is a very friendly combination some of us.
You won't know which combinations will work for you until you try them.
As you collect different nibs and papers, it is helpful to keep a folder with a variety of papers
and then do a test, using different nibs and inks or gouache - so you can find the combinations that feel the best to you.
Happy Lettering

Offline JenniferJesse

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 09, 2021, 01:54:25 PM »
I started out with the Nikko G and Zebra G.  If i had to choose between these two, Nikko G!  I am a fan of the Brause Steno too.  But I have branched out to other nibs recently thru a sampler pack i got from John Neals Books. 

Love:
Brause 66EF
Gillott 1068A, 1950, 170
Hunt 22, 101, 512
Hiro Crown, 111, 700
Leonardt 256,700, principal EF

Offline Daniel McGill

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 02, 2021, 04:55:06 PM »
Personally...I don't have a favourite nib.  I have had the pleasure of using some vintage nibs and they were fantastic and so effortless in their function.  Modern nibs are, in my opinion, horribly made and are deserving of it.  Do not mistake me, however, there are some great nibs out there but none that are wonderful enough to be called a favourite.  I used to have a favourite, that was the Golden Era leonardt Principal EF (those that remember will know what I am meaning) but that is sadly no longer with us.  I have settled on the Hunt 101 (and even then I have to constantly tweak every single nib to either realign or sharpen the nib) and Gillott's 303 but there are still too many issues and disparages between each nib at any given purchase to call them anything other than decent.  I don't think that there will be a nib to call a favourite until either a new company comes along that makes quality nibs, or the current companies manage to fix their problems and give us all more consistent, quality nibs with more accurate designs.

For those that don't want to read the whole thing: I have settled (begrudgingly) on the Hunt 101 and Gillott's 303 nibs but there isn't a nib out there right now that I would hoard for years.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 19, 2021, 11:13:35 AM »
I never thought of not choosing a favorite.  ;D  I will say though, I rediscovered my vintage Esterbrook 357’s. Dreamy! I do like the thins of the current Leonardt Principal EF but it is rather inconsistent in quality. God Bless Brian Walker (Rest in Peace) for his efforts on our behalf.

I still do all my practice with a Zebra G - very consistent and I like the thicks and thins. It produces a smooth line and rarely snags.
I do hope one of these days one of the go-getters develop a nib that is of the quality of ‘back in the day.’
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Daniel McGill

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 19, 2021, 12:48:58 PM »
I never thought of not choosing a favorite.  ;D  I will say though, I rediscovered my vintage Esterbrook 357’s. Dreamy! I do like the thins of the current Leonardt Principal EF but it is rather inconsistent in quality. God Bless Brian Walker (Rest in Peace) for his efforts on our behalf.

I still do all my practice with a Zebra G - very consistent and I like the thicks and thins. It produces a smooth line and rarely snags.
I do hope one of these days one of the go-getters develop a nib that is of the quality of ‘back in the day.’

That would be the dream. I have thought about it many times but the expense of it just doesn’t justify it, not with the way that we all think of it. In order to make a nib of the same quality as the golden age or “principality” age, the nib would need to sold for at least £4 per nib. It would be too far out of anyone’s price range for a disposable item that lasts for hours.

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #200 on: April 20, 2021, 08:40:09 AM »
I do not have it any more, but years ago, I had an article that described all the steps it took to make vintage nibs and it was an incredible amount of work - mostly done by hand. I remember thinking that it must have been a horrible job - for the people who worked in the factories. Sadly, some things just have to made by hand - and there would be no way to compensate someone for the amount of time and effort it would take to replicate the process. I'll contact Bob Hurford and see if he has the article.

Here is an article from the IAMPETH website about vintage nibs.
https://www.iampeth.com/lesson/getting-started/look-fine-flexible-nibs

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 20, 2021, 02:33:31 PM »
Thanks Jean, I would be interested in reading it. I believe there is a place in England where they still make nibs by hand. I will try to find the information about it. It was on our visit list before the trip was canceled because of Covid.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 20, 2021, 04:13:11 PM »
For those with an interest in how pens were made would find this book to be of interest:
People, Pens & Production in Birmingham's Steel Pen Trade edited by Brian Jones MBE
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 10:14:54 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 19, 2021, 08:11:19 AM »
Here is an article from the IAMPETH website about vintage nibs.
https://www.iampeth.com/lesson/getting-started/look-fine-flexible-nibs

I SO wish I could meet you gals there next year.  Funny how the trade on freedom works out.  Not working my time is my own; but no cheddar to travel. {shoulder hunch}.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #204 on: May 22, 2021, 05:31:11 PM »
Thanks Jean, I would be interested in reading it. I believe there is a place in England where they still make nibs by hand. I will try to find the information about it. It was on our visit list before the trip was canceled because of Covid.

I don’t believe anywhere here is actually still making the nibs any hand, although the Pen Museum in Birmingham has many of the old manual tools which were used, and you can have a go yourself at parts of the process.....however, it’s not the whole process and I doubt that everything needed, nor indeed the knowledge, still exists. 
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 22, 2021, 06:03:26 PM »
Thank you @melanie jane . I think that is what I was thinking of.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #206 on: May 22, 2021, 06:06:03 PM »
It would be interesting to know how much of the process they do have the equipment for, but I doubt they’d have the ability to temper (or possibly knowledge) the metal properly etc, nor coat it.

It’s a shame that so much knowledge of how the nibs were made has been lost 😞
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #207 on: May 23, 2021, 07:27:27 AM »
I'm guessing that the techniques for working with metal have not been lost and if a skilled metalsmith wanted to figure out how to make the finest nibs by hand, they could. It reminds me of the handmade knives that are so beautiful and expensive. You don't have to be a chef to appreciate a great knife and anyone who chooses to invest in one will enjoy it for many years. Nibs wear out. It's unlikely anyone would want to pay a fair price for the time and energy it would take to replicate the ones we wish we could buy.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 23, 2021, 11:19:10 AM »
But I would also think with production, machinery, and the technology we have today, a company should be able to produce in quantity a good quality nib. It’s more likely the market just isn’t big enough for the investment.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline USNavyVet

• Freshman Member
  • Combat Veteran (U.S. Navy)
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 14, 2023, 08:22:15 PM »
How do you feel about the Brause Rose nib?

Also, what is a good nib for handmade paper? I found the sharper nibs seem to collect the fibers very quickly.