Author Topic: Calligraphy: Share the Craft, Preserve the Trade  (Read 59786 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Calligraphy: Share the Craft, Preserve the Trade
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2021, 03:00:25 PM »
@Wanderful Writs  That is GREAT to hear! So happy to know you have been working away at your business and excited for you are you branch into teaching flourishing! Keep up the hard work and enjoying the process.  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2021, 08:19:42 AM »
growing segment of newcomers who bridged the gap by starting with modern calligraphy and then decided they wanted to go deeper and learn traditional styles.

So does it matter? Some would say no as we always need to adapt and change with the times, and like it or not, this is how it works in our world today. I would argue it matters a great deal. It isn't about the differences between us, it's about the quality of work we produce and share with others. It's how what we do effects not just us, but an entire industry. As a calligrapher, I have always felt a great responsibility to do my best to help preserve the integrity of both the craft and the trade.

However, I hope people will take an honest look at their work, solicit constructive and forthright feedback from other professionals, and ask themselves if they can offer a quality service and product which upholds the value of not just the market, but the trade as well.

What a profound blog post @Erica McPhee and a joy to read.

My first online six month class was modern.  Within two weeks I realized what I wanted was not so I switched to pointed pen (though the course was still modern she instructed with brush and pointed pen) and I pushed through the end knowing I needed to find what I found out was called "copperplate".

I was relieved that my interests were purely self-edification vs. business.  It has taken pressure off of me for I know the time it would take me to rise to such a standard I shall probably not live that long being almost 62 now.

So glad FF is a real, thriving entity.  Thanks for all that you are doing, Ms. M.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2021, 11:27:21 AM »
Thank you for your kind words! It really does take the pressure off to just learn for your own enjoyment. And then perhaps once you know this is something you are truly vested in, then comes the business side if you so desire. We are very glad you delved into calligraphy deeper and became such a valuable part of our community!  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2021, 03:59:00 PM »
Thank you for your kind words! It really does take the pressure off to just learn for your own enjoyment. And then perhaps once you know this is something you are truly vested in, then comes the business side if you so desire. We are very glad you delved into calligraphy deeper and became such a valuable part of our community!  :-*

Not sure if you remember, but several months back a friend asked me to address envelopes for her daughter's baby shower.  I was SO stressed with the whole proposal.  Knowing I was not up to the task was probably the reason why.  IG buds commented "She has seen your calligraphy if she did not like it she would not have asked."  That made sense, so on I went trying to answer her seemingly simple question, "How much will you charge?"  Fast forwarding I was SO relieved when she came back with the message that "her daughter decided against my 'services'.  She felt the money could be better spent."  Hallelujah!!  I was SO relieved.  Should that EVER happen again I know how to respond.  Off the rip, "No, thank you.  But, I can point you in the direction of a wonderful calligrapher."

Amen.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2022, 05:24:37 PM »

@Erica McPhee ..I don't know how I missed this Post!!!! ??? I know this is an old post but you deserve and merits a big thank for pointing us with this  heartfelt strong message Erica.
Anyone who has fallen love with the writing of words must know this  truth. Like you had transmuted to calligraphy from  photography I have the same walk of life as you. I got into art from photography. and I still do photography. It is really true  what you  witnessed in transforming of the changing in the photo industry. 

But I must say there are few like you who are really concern and the rest is as you put into to the content.. they are seeking for selling after they just finished their week end Calligraphy learning courses.
However they do ..just like in photography there's always a demand for quality work in calligraphy. I think it is the truth. Thank you for sharing your concern  Erica!!! ;D I am glad I revisited this thread and leave you a " Big thumb-Up." I second you too and I am learning the history of writing and the forms  and arts of writing styles and how it forms our humanity around. I know it is a long process to learn how to do it right and I'll be happy  if it could be used  as a service to the public in some way. Just like my photography did.

Cheers Erica!!! For this long share!!! :)   

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2022, 11:26:15 AM »
Thank you for this! Wow, so much has changed since this post… it has been so interesting to see the Calligraphy World change and grow in such a short time period. What is also interesting is to see how social media has changed so dramatically in the same period. When Flourish was started, Instagram was just getting popular. Now there are so many ways people are sharing their work and forming communities. I’m so happy to have been a small part of bringing people together “back in the day.”

Wonderful that we share the love and journey of photography. It will also be a passion of mine. Isn’t it interesting how the internet has brought the “doing” of art into so many people’s lives that either never had access to it and/or the opportunity to study it.

Thank you for your lovely comment.   :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Wanderful Writs

• Freshman Member
  • Modern Calligrapher and Flourishing Enthusiast :)
    • View Profile
    • Wanderful Writs
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2023, 09:56:04 PM »
What a difference a year makes! Haven’t logged in a while and the web is changing! Appears the world is shifting to in person meetings again! Glad the forum is still active, glad to be here!
@wanderfulwrits

Wanderful Writs – Capturing moments through spreading glee with calligraphy and flourishing!