Author Topic: Modern stamps  (Read 5724 times)

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
Modern stamps
« on: February 04, 2019, 09:37:04 AM »
Hi there!
I know I have always said that stamps here in Spain are uglier. But now, I have to tell you, they're quite modern! They have been using some cool things in the making of Spanish stamps. There are many stamps with original shapes, not squared. For example, I have stamps shaped as chess pieces or buildings. There is also a plastic clear stamp, so cool on colored envelopes! There are some models of stamps with qr codes, and augmented reality (but I haven't try those yet!). There are some with holographic foil, and some with raised designs. I'll try to take photographs if you are interested on seeing them.
Meanwhile, let you know that I am using for the Hearts Affire Exchange some stamps with the shape of an Eucalyptus leaf and aroma! If you happen to receive one, rub it a bit and tell me if it does still smell!
And I am now curious to know, are there any special cool stamps over there?
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
Re: Modern stamps
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 11:38:46 AM »
Oh my goodness, yes, please, take photos!  Those sound amazing.  We are still trucking along with our rectangular and square shaped stamps here in the USA, with a round "Global" stamp being the exception to those shapes.  The best looking stamps are still vintage, perhaps because of the charm of torn perforated edges, but every once in a while, USPS puts out some great ones. These two are pretty fun.  The Dragons have metallic copper on them, which I didn't realize until I got them in the mail - a fun surprise.

Offline KristinT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 01:59:31 PM »
I have a few pages of the dragons!  I was so excited to see those.  The USPS had a nice "Winter Birds" selection over the holidays, too.  All of my holiday mailing went out with those.

@Inked botanicals  I would also love to see some photos; those all sound charming!

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 04:55:07 PM »
Oh my goodness, yes, please, take photos!

Your wishes are my commands  ;D

These two are pretty fun.  The Dragons have metallic copper on them, which I didn't realize until I got them in the mail - a fun surprise.

Love them! Dragons looks awesome!! The magic collection is so nice! I received some on my envelopes from the Halloween exchange I think, they are great!

Here you have the transparent stamps I was talking about. They are from a film festival. They are fun!
Alba.

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 05:02:19 PM »
This one honors video games! That was the look of "La Abadía del Crimen", one of the most famous video games, from 1987! It was based on the story of The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. The doors you see dark gray, change color with heat (just with your hands) to reveal different objects behind.
Alba.

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 05:06:28 PM »
Here you have some not-squared shapes!

Some chess pieces, some eucalyptus leaves (these smell like eucalyptus too!), and some paint palette in honor of the painter Murillo. As you can see I have them half used already!
Alba.

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 05:10:07 PM »
And this one is quite difficult to show on photo. it is from Star Wars movie. Both stamps in the photo are exactly equal. I post 3 photos for you to see how the image on the stamp changes with movement!
Alba.

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 07:50:09 PM »
I picked up a bunch of these because I like the classic feeling of them.
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 11:46:59 AM »
@Inked botanicals Alba, those stamps are out of this world!!! I've never seen anything like them! I am particularly intrigued by the clear stamps, but all those shapes are SO COOL.  I am a total stamp hoarder... and I have serious stamp envy right now!!

@AAAndrew I love those president stamps, too - any stamp with an old-timey feel gets two thumbs up from me (including the blue and red air mail issues that I see are no longer available as of recent).  I currently have about 200 of those president stamps.

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 03:35:30 PM »
@Bianca M I'll save some for your next letters then  :D
Alba.

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 05:29:46 PM »
@Bianca M I'll save some for your next letters then  :D

YESSSS!!!!   ;D

Offline KristinT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 06:30:47 PM »
This one honors video games! That was the look of "La Abadía del Crimen", one of the most famous video games, from 1987! It was based on the story of The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. The doors you see dark gray, change color with heat (just with your hands) to reveal different objects behind.

Fascinating!  Those colors are killing me, though!  :P  Apparently the original game was never released outside of Spain, though it's clearly well regarded: several updates and remakes.  If anyone is really intrigued, the game platform Steam has a modern remake available (with more naturalistic colors).  I can link it if anyone can't find it, but I can never remember the rules for linking....

Anyway, thanks so much, @Inked botanicals !  Those are all really cool!  The transparent stamps just look like a ton of fun.  <3

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 08:14:12 PM »
Alba, I was already happy when I saw your name on Hearts Affire exchange list, but now I am really excited! I love eucalyptus. And all those others look really neat too. Canada is pretty limited in its stamps.  The occasional themed edition is released, and they can be pretty, but selection and creativity are limited. One thing we can do is pay a little more and make our own by submitting a picture. So I treated myself last year to test it out. :)

Star

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 08:59:05 PM »
@Starlee Pretty!!  If I may ask, what's the markup on getting your own postage printed like that?  Here (USA), it's about $1.25 for a 55¢ stamp (our first class 1oz rate) and there's a big ugly barcode printed on it. 

Offline KristinT

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 10:36:44 PM »
@Starlee Your flourishes are lovely!  The flower next to the second line of the address is particularly striking, and it's quite complimented by the fade-out effect of the ink!  (Is that Walnut ink?).