Author Topic: Greetings from Wisconsin  (Read 461 times)

Offline Chessie

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Greetings from Wisconsin
« on: March 18, 2023, 08:32:06 PM »
Well goodness, I just now noticed the 'introductions' threads and decided to pop by, it being my first week on the forums.

My name is Chessie.  I'm a knife sharpener and took an interest in calligraphy more or less out of nowhere.  I couldn't tell you why even if I tried.  It's meditative, beautiful, and requires manual dexterity, maybe?  Certainly something in common with knife sharpening, but I'm not sure.  Whatever the reason, I find it deeply satisfying.

I'm interested in historical illumination and modern, crafted illuminated works as an art form using modern subjects.  Right now, I'm learning the Foundational Hand (per Edward Johnston's method) and trying to figure out precisely which fonts I want to invest myself in. 

I used broad-edged dip pens with ground inksticks (at the moment the Brause nibs, though at the advice of one of the members I may switch to Mitchell.  If anyone has any feelings on that, I'd love to hear them) and can best be described as 'extremely novice'.  I've only been at regular, focused practice for about two months.  Fortunately, one of the other members pointed me at a lovely online course that sounds like just the thing to improve.

I'm always open to advice and the thoughts of other calligraphers.  I've attached a small sample of my recent work. 

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings from Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 11:54:49 AM »
Beautiful! You’ve caught the calligraphy bug. It does makes sense given your abilities with precision, sharp edges, and metal tools.  ;D
Welcome to Flourish!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 05:05:55 PM »
Greetings, @Chessie -- It's always a joy to see new members join the Flourish Forum! As you've likely already discovered, this is a really great place to pose calligraphy and writing questions of any and all sorts. Hoping you too find joy in interacting with people who share and can help support your interests.   Welcome!

~Karl
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 07:13:16 PM »
Hello from Minnesota, @Chessie - your neighbor to the west!

I wish there were a knife sharpener near me (in Duluth); I have to sharpen my knives and tools on my own.

Beautiful lettering! I do broad edge calligraphy too - and study the history of it.
--yours truly, K

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 08:29:33 PM »
Hello from London !  ;D I am sharpening my knives too but I am not at all good at getting my knives well sharped and back in right shape.
I guess when you start to use POINTED PENS  some prefer to get their pens very Sharpe..   so that they make their best hair lines very perfect. So you have more chance of mastering that technique  to get the best sharp pens faster than any one else!!!!
Welcome to the Forum !!! ;D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 12:50:48 PM by Cyril Jayant »

Offline Chessie

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 09:55:25 AM »
It may not be entirely on topic, but in the last year when I've heard people having trouble getting that 'final edge' on their knives (I frequently get people coming to my booth telling me they sharpen themselves, but are having difficulty), the issue is frequently that they didn't use a strop to remove the burr on the edge of their knife.

A burr develops as you sharpen on a whetstone (the metal rod that comes with your knife sets is not a sharpening tool.  It's for honing and straightening, but it doesn't sharpen).  You can feel a burr by putting your fingertips on the 'flat' of your blade and gently moving them toward the edge.  That burr has to be removed for the knife to cut properly. 

Get a leather strop from Amazon and chrome oxide (green) sharpening compound.  Use the compound on the strop.  It's a bit like a crayon.  You can look up how to strop knives on Youtube, but to get proper sharpness what you want to do is strop 10 times on one side, 10 times on the other, reducing by 2 strokes until you hit 1.  So, 10, 10, 8, 8, 6, 6 and so on.  It's completely key.

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 05:13:19 PM »
... the issue is frequently that they didn't use a strop to remove the burr on the edge of their knife ...

I use the heel and palm of hand strop method. Very handy -- don't judge. Oh, and I'm still able to write with my remaining right hand.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 12:13:54 PM by Zivio »
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace