Author Topic: Copperplate on Birthday Card Envelopes  (Read 277 times)

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Copperplate on Birthday Card Envelopes
« on: June 06, 2023, 10:39:01 AM »
I keep buying cards (birthday, graduation, new baby, etc.).  When I letter on them, the ink “feathers” like mad. My lettering then looks sloppy. Other than switching to Italic & using a marker, is there anything that I can do??  I’m beyond frustrated! 

Offline K-2

• View Profile
Re: Copperplate on Birthday Card Envelopes
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 12:36:18 PM »
@JanisTX - This is my go-to fix: Krylon Matte Spray (https://www.krylon.com/en/products/clear-coatings/matte-finish-spray-coating). Usually charcoal, pastel, and graphite artists spray it on finished work so that the chalky, soft, pigments stay fixed to the paper.  But it's also fantastic for making paper less prone to bleeding and able to accept a really wide variety of inks.  Spray it on the blank paper/card-stock BEFORE you start, and let it dry for a few minutes (do it in a well ventilated area). When in doubt, matte spray!

* note - if you spray it OVER finished ink work, it will dull any special qualities of the ink (like shimmer or sheen, which work by reflecting the light at different angles; since it kind of makes everything adhere to a single plane, you won't get so much sparkle).
** also - don't go overboard spraying the paper/card.  I over-sprayed once, and it literally caused the ink to bead up on the paper.
*** If you want to be old-fashioned or traditional about it, you could use pounce (aka gum sandarac https://www.johnnealbooks.com/product/gum-sandarac), but I find matte spray to be easier to use and more reliable, especially with poorly bonded paper or really juicy ink.

--yours truly, K

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 01:47:46 PM »
@JanisTX
Agree with K-2, fixative works pretty well. Here's my favorite. Commercial greeting cards and their envelopes, with a few exceptions, are made with really poor paper, and the ink you put on them always bleeds. I've had only mediocre results with gum sandarac.
I generally make my cards using Strathmore Bristol Smooth (300 or 400) paper. Takes ink beautifully.

Offline TeresaS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 02:31:07 PM »
I feel your frustration Janis!  I hold my breath when I make that first downstroke… praying it is not going to feather!  I seem to have better luck using Sumi ink.  I once used hairspray on some stationery paper, and that worked!  Sometimes I just trade out the envelope with one I know takes ink.🤷‍♀️
Teresa

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2023, 08:54:28 PM »
Thank you for the advice!  If I use Pearl Ex ink, it also feathers less!