Author Topic: IAMPETH Virtual 2023: Wrap-Up  (Read 352 times)

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
IAMPETH Virtual 2023: Wrap-Up
« on: December 30, 2023, 11:11:57 AM »
In this post I enthusiastically share my thoughts on this year’s IAMPETH Virtual, just because it was such a nice event and wanted to share. I attended each demo and/or watched the video later. I include brief comments on each one below. I will try to avoid giving too much information and any artwork I post below will be my own. I only have a few attempts. This year, I didn’t attempt to try each style or technique (as I did last year), but I enjoyed watching each one.

IAMPETH Virtual 2023 Wrap-Up
Across the board, all the invited artists provided top-notch video presentations.
Seeing how people write/create is very helpful.
The artists were delightful and so willing to answer our questions. Everyone gave great insights and were honest about their creative journeys, including mistakes made hoping it would help others. The hosts (Kestrel, Christen, Jody, and Harvest) did a wonderful job interviewing each teacher after their demo and at the after party.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 11:28:28 AM by tiffany.c.a »

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
Re: IAMPETH Virtual 2023: Wrap-Up
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2023, 11:13:48 AM »
Demo Block 1

Abhay Pratap Singh Rathore - Brush Lettering
Abhay demoed his beautiful brush lettering. Very consistent too. I enjoyed watching him write. He said speed, position/angle the brush is held at, slant of letters, and paper all help lead to variation in letter style. He showed different brush pens and used different ones as he wrote each letter. He demonstrated writing the word “handwriting” in three different styles. All three looked great.

Andrew van der Merwe - The Pointed Beachscriber
It was so interesting to listen to Andrew talk about the beginnings of his beach calligraphy and the first tools he used, and how it all has developed over time. He also discussed what discoveries he has made through writing in the sand that he can apply to writing on paper. It was fascinating to watch him actually write in the sand with his tools and to see his work on paper.

Miranda Songer - Gold on Black
Miranda’s work is absolutely stunning. Gorgeous letters and designs in gold on black paper. She discussed the importance of keeping an even weight to the letters, whether pressure or no pressure, keeping parallel lines and evenly spaced, and lightly joining perpendicular lines at joins. For writing around a circle she uses upright writing, lines (downstrokes) always pointing to the center of the circle below it.
She mentioned more than once that it’s important not to rush the work. Basically accept from the beginning that the process will take as long as it takes.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 11:15:38 AM by tiffany.c.a »

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 11:15:08 AM »
Demo Block Two

Randall Hasson - Versals
It was really amazing to watch Randy build up the versals and so expertly touch them up (like the corners of the “N”) and smoothly weight the curves. He showed 3 types: the more basic Roman versals, the style he tends to do (which is more natural for the movement of his hand), and the uncial-inspired Lombardics.
I’ve seen examples of his versals before, so it was a treat to actually watch him form them.

Gia Graham - Digital Drop Caps
Gia is a graphic designer and digital lettering artist. The wonderful demo showed us how to create a drop cap letter on Procreate. She also very clearly gave solid basics on using Procreate.
Gia chose the letter “R” to use as a demo letter. She used the Apple Pencil to draw with smoothness and adeptness. I appreciated seeing her process.

Thomas Vezina - Versatile Vyaz
How interesting to watch Thomas form these unique letters. For the demo, he used a brush pen (capable of doing thicks and thins).
He demoed a more readable style of Vyaz.
He also gave an idea of how to compose words with these letters - some letters side-by-side as usual, and some shortened and slotted into open spaces.
Either way, this style can create a wonderful texture to the word/page.

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 11:17:36 AM »
Demo Block Three

Amruta Walvekar - Elegant Finishing Touches
Amruta’s envelopes were gorgeous. It was so creative how she used thread, ribbon, and flowers to add decorative accents to envelopes. I imagine you can do the same with boxes. Her calligraphy is beautiful as well. What a total package she presents.

Molly Suber Thorpe - Flourished Procreate Layouts
First of all, thank you Molly for the free brush and guidelines! Very helpful demo. Just seeing how she uses layers, and how to select/move text to edit spacing was majorly helpful.
Her lettering and flourishes were accomplished very smoothly. She did some strokes over again but she did so with skill, and that also made me feel like, oh, you can try again. Of course it would take me 5 more times compared to a more experienced person’s one extra go.
Her demo piece was beautiful.

Gabriela Soba - Textured Capitals
Gabriela mentioned having studied classical capitals and knowing classical proportions. I’m sure it helps her even with these freer form capitals. She used a ruling pen akin to how a flat brush is used. (I believe she used the Lthuis ruling pen. She said you could also use a 6.0mm parallel pen or an automatic pen.) It was very helpful seeing how she adjusted her hand to form the different parts of the letters, and how she approached the curved ones. She showed a variety for each letter.
It was great to see how she then uses this writing as paper for covering books and boxes.

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2023, 11:19:04 AM »
Demo Block Four

Loredana Zega - Calligraphy Candle Lamps
These are like lampshades to use over battery operated tea lights. Beautiful for table accents for a special dinner, as a gift idea, or just for creative accents around your home. Loredana has very expressive lettering that make these lamps very cool. Her way of creating these lamp shades was clearly demoed, and I think they would be relatively simple for students to create their own.

Paola Marino - Inked Acanthus
Paola used fountain pen inks for this drawing. Seeing her way of creating the winding acanthus leaves was so clear it was like - well of course that’s the way to make them. Her technique involved forming lines in a cross and building up from there.
It was nice to see her use of color and how she used darker shades to create depth and shadow. Her use of color was very delicate and nicely blended.

Julie Wildman - Variations On Akim
I liked watching the expressiveness of Julie’s writing. She is well-studied in Akim and was very much able to give a good grounding of this hand and how it can vary.
Her exercise which showed writing at a slow, medium, and faster speed was very telling in showing the effects of speed on the writing and overall appearance (texture, thickness, lightness) of the line.

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2023, 11:19:46 AM »
After Party

Could there be more to talk about after those informative two days? Yes! There was more technical knowledge and more discussion about how to approach creative pursuits and how to continue to develop. The artists shared pitfalls they’ve experienced and lessons they’ve learned. I walked away with a lot, but mostly I was impressed by the personalities of this very international group, and their willingness to share wisdom and knowledge and give encouragement. It was so very appreciated and I left encouraged.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2023, 05:56:57 PM »
Wow @tiffany.c.a What a fabulous write up! Thank you for putting this together and sharing with us all. I hope you will be submitting this to IAMPETH for their next journal.  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram