Author Topic: Let's create a list of inks that are acidic  (Read 7096 times)

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
Re: Let's create a list of inks that are acidic
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 04:17:56 AM »
Haha, I am really sorry that I sounded maybe complaining :D. It wasn't meant like that. It's just that I have a batch of vintage Brause Rose nibs, and they are just a delight, and wanted to let you know that for especially precious nibs I like to use an ink that lets me use them longer :). And I find that walnut ink is nearly as nicely performing as iron gall ink, just it's not black.

I am totally with you there, Christopher, that nibs are things that don't last forever (and were never meant to). But we can make them last a little longer if we take care ;).

Also I find that Spencerian capitals with the assymetrical capital stem shade puts more stress on the nibs than the more regular shades in Copperplate, because you have to twist the nib a little and put more pressure on one tine than the other. But maybe you think now I am crazy!!

Thanks for the historical facts. I must admit that I wasn't aware that so much manual finetuning went into these nibs. That makes it more understandable that most modern nibs I tried really are not so great in comparison to an old one! But also that noone would manufacture them anymore like this!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 07:45:22 AM »
Yes I completely agree with all your points Estefa, the reason I went on a small rant was there are about 3 threads going on right now with the acidity of ink. Sometimes I may seem a little rough around the edges because I speak type very matter-of-factly and to the point. I'm not giving anyone a hard time :) Was just making sure everyone was well aware of the fact nib damage is unavoidable and don't miss out on trying an ink just because it may be more acidic than another :)

Also here is an engraving of the Gillott factory around the latter part of the 19th century. This was when the royal family visited the factory to see production methods. If you can, the Birmingham Pen Museum sells a great book on the history of nibs, "People, Pens and Production - in Birmingham's Steel Pen Trade"
Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 07:57:15 AM »
Thanks, Christopher!  That last answer was really helpful. I had no idea if a nib should last with a good deal of practice for a day, a week or a month.  You've given me something concrete to go on.  I'm probably not discarding my nibs as often as I should and I bet that change will make a big difference. 
Debbie

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 11:36:11 AM »
Great advice Christopher!

I'm happy to know what inks are considered more acidic than others, though. I use mostly walnut ink (which I don't find acidic at all really) and Sumi and McCaffery's. I've considered trying Iron Gall but know it is even more acidic than McCaffery's, I'll just stick with McCaffery's.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 12:34:47 PM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 12:06:26 PM »
Great advice Christopher!

I'm happy to know what inks are considered more acidic than others, though. I use mostly walnut ink (which I don't find acidic at all really) and Sumi and McCaffrey's. I've considered trying Iron Gall but know it is even more acidic than McCaffrey's, I'll just stick with McCaffrey's.

McCafferys is an iron gall ink :)
Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 12:30:42 PM »
DOH!... I meant Old World! My fingers sometimes don't keep up with my brain!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram