Author Topic: Learning Fraktur  (Read 6058 times)

Offline theochrebelly

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Learning Fraktur
« on: February 23, 2016, 12:33:17 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am interested in learning Fraktur calligraphy and was wondering where to start. I have been learning calligraphy for some time and now want to take up Fraktur. Im unable to find any references / exemplars.

I was hoping that one of you could help me looking for good exemplars / links / guidelines along with instructions for both majuscules and minuscules.

Thanks in advance
Warm regards,
theochrebellydesign
IG: https://www.instagram.com/theochrebellydesign/

Offline Susanna R

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Learning Fraktur
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 01:05:13 PM »
Hi!

I recently got a book from my aunt that belonged my grandfather, the book was printed in 1947.
It has a few pages of examples of "fraktuura" type of handwriting which I assume is the same as "fraktur". They are a bit different compared to each other and I haven't explored to the wonders of fraktur or other broadpen calligraphy (apart from occasional uncial and italic) so I am sadly unable to say much more about them. But hopefully these pictures have at least some use.

Offline theochrebelly

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 01:23:48 PM »
Hi!

I recently got a book from my aunt that belonged my grandfather, the book was printed in 1947.
It has a few pages of examples of "fraktuura" type of handwriting which I assume is the same as "fraktur". They are a bit different compared to each other and I haven't explored to the wonders of fraktur or other broadpen calligraphy (apart from occasional uncial and italic) so I am sadly unable to say much more about them. But hopefully these pictures have at least some use.

Thanks a lot Susanna..this is of great help...really appreciate your prompt reply..:)
Warm regards,
theochrebellydesign

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 01:49:47 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am interested in learning Fraktur calligraphy and was wondering where to start. I have been learning calligraphy for some time and now want to take up Fraktur. Im unable to find any references / exemplars.

I was hoping that one of you could help me looking for good exemplars / links / guidelines along with instructions for both majuscules and minuscules.

Thanks in advance
A good place to start is past posts on this forum. There are exemplars and references right here.
Go to the main FF page, type in fraktur in the search box at the top right, press enter, and you will have a long list of posts about fraktur to consider. Happy reading.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 04:13:10 PM »
Historically speaking "Fraktur" is a word from the world of printing, but just lately it seems to be applied to pretty much any alphabet which looks spiky and vaguely Germanic.  So the first thing is to identify what you'd like to learn.  A while back I posted a link to a little book about Fraktur here which may be of interest, and as Anasazi says there are numerous posts on the subject to have a look through.

There is, however, a book called "Fraktur Mon Amour" - and what a book it is.  It's the size of a telephone directory and has hundreds of exemplars (many of which aren't Fraktur, strictly speaking), and if you want inspiration, you'll find it there, guaranteed.  Do try to see it.

David Harris' "Art of Calligraphy" or "Calligrapher's Bible" books are also worth seeking out because they're full of practical guidance: in both cases the copperplate sections are suspect, but the broad edge material is all useful.

Offline katerina

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 03:42:54 AM »
Hello!
This summer I attend a wonderful ws with Giovanni DeFaccio about Texura and Fraktur, and he has shown us a stunnig work.
Is a roll long I think something like 30 mt (100 feet ?) with a variety of maiuscles

Someone has stiched all the work in a unique pic that I attach here!
This is amazing!  ;)

Offline Ergative

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 08:25:21 AM »
Katerina, was that at the Passionate Pen?
Clara

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 08:30:45 AM »
AndyT touched on the confusion of the titles of the many various styles coming under the general heading of Gothic.

There are a few here in "My Exemplars" including a favourite of mine, based on the "Tudor" font.

http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=2233.0

Ken

Offline theochrebelly

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 08:31:08 AM »
Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance
A good place to start is past posts on this forum. There are exemplars and references right here.
Go to the main FF page, type in fraktur in the search box at the top right, press enter, and you will have a long list of posts about fraktur to consider. Happy reading.

Thank you @AnasaziWrites sometimes.. we do not simply arrive at the most obvious solution to a question..:) Am going through the past posts and yes am able to find few references..:) :)
Warm regards,
theochrebellydesign

Offline theochrebelly

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 08:34:01 AM »
Historically speaking "Fraktur" is a word from the world of printing, but just lately it seems to be applied to pretty much any alphabet which looks spiky and vaguely Germanic.  So the first thing is to identify what you'd like to learn.  A while back I posted a link to a little book about Fraktur here which may be of interest, and as Anasazi says there are numerous posts on the subject to have a look through.

There is, however, a book called "Fraktur Mon Amour" - and what a book it is.  It's the size of a telephone directory and has hundreds of exemplars (many of which aren't Fraktur, strictly speaking), and if you want inspiration, you'll find it there, guaranteed.  Do try to see it.

David Harris' "Art of Calligraphy" or "Calligrapher's Bible" books are also worth seeking out because they're full of practical guidance: in both cases the copperplate sections are suspect, but the broad edge material is all useful.

Thank you @AndyT  for a good intro to fraktur and for mentioning such great book references, shall be trying to get my hands on atleast one..:) 
Warm regards,
theochrebellydesign

Offline theochrebelly

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 08:36:11 AM »
Hello!
This summer I attend a wonderful ws with Giovanni DeFaccio about Texura and Fraktur, and he has shown us a stunnig work.
Is a roll long I think something like 30 mt (100 feet ?) with a variety of maiuscles

Someone has stiched all the work in a unique pic that I attach here!
This is amazing!  ;)

Thank you @katerina for sharing such a stunning piece, the 'unique pic' is indeed of great help..:)
Warm regards,
theochrebellydesign

Offline katerina

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 08:37:07 AM »
Katerina, was that at the Passionate Pen?
No, that was Fine Estate in Calligrafia at Abano (Italy) with AssociazioneCalligraficaItaliana.
Unfortunately I do not live in US  ::)
This was the last year program
http://www.calligrafia.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/ABANO-2015-english.pdf
such an intresting event!

Offline theochrebelly

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 08:39:38 AM »
AndyT touched on the confusion of the titles of the many various styles coming under the general heading of Gothic.

There are a few here in "My Exemplars" including a favourite of mine, based on the "Tudor" font.

http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=2233.0

Ken

Thank you Ken..thats a great link....!! shall be spending some good time on it..:)
Warm regards,
theochrebellydesign

Offline Viktor Petrov

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 02:01:25 PM »
"Fraktur Mon Amour" as a huge pack of samples and ideas