Author Topic: Traveling for a workshop tips, please!  (Read 3540 times)

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
Traveling for a workshop tips, please!
« on: May 17, 2016, 06:02:06 AM »
Hi everyone!!

In ten days I will be traveling to Barcelona (Spain) for a two-days Spencerian workshop with Barbara Calzolari!! And I am getting too excited about it with all my planning. I am going to meet some Flourish Forum members in person there too!!

But the thing is, it will be my first pointed pen workshop ever (I only took one 3 hour class on brushpen last year, so we can consider this is going to be my first calligraphy workshop at all). And most important, it is going to be the first time I travel for that reason. I am not entirely sure of what should I bring on my suitcase. Also I don't want the people at the airport take away my pens and nibs because I could kill the pilot with them or something (they don't let us travel with a nail file so who knows what can be done with some pointy dip pens...). The people that organizes the workshop say that the necessary material is included there: a speedball oblique, nibs, ink and paper. But I am not sure, mostly because I am going to be out of my town, and if I need anything else I won't know where to purchase it.

So, you that are more experience in that situations, any tips? Should I bring my own pen and nibs? Any other material useful for a workshop that may not be included? mechanical pencil? any kind of pencil? rulers? arabic gum? brushes? am I overthinking it?

Also, are this kind of workshops a place for taking notes? Should I bring a notebook and a normal pen in order to do that? Or everything is practical? I don't know if I could take notes and practice at the same time, because changing constantly to different grip with different pens and all that may not be a good thing. What do you think?
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline katerina

• View Profile
Re: Traveling for a workshop tips, please!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 06:29:58 AM »
Hello Alba!
Iíve take the same workshop like two months ago.
I had only couple of hours by train (I never flew with nibs, so I canít say what would happen), and I was very nervous too  ;)
I packed my suitcase with almost all the things on my desk, and then what I used is what I bought from her.
Usually she always bring the material for the students, and she also have a little range of other material too.
If you have other oblique than the speedball bring it with you! It will be very comfortable to switch from a nib to another. At that workshop we used NikkoG and Principal (She lent us some of her holder with strange nibs, but the two that we used for writing was that two).
She usually arrange a very nice welcome kit to the ws, with a lots of practice sheets and others gadget (I have a spencerian water too )
I think the only things you need are:
- obliques
- dinky dips with dropper
- irongall ink (preferably McCaffery's)
- Rodhia A4 white (no ruling)
- some nibs (just tbring small amount so although it will be seized will not be terrible)

She will wrote letters on her piece of paper and it will be projected on a big screen, so you can watch her, take some notes and re-do the same. A pencil would be great for this, also should be useful for drill exercise :)

Relax and have fun! it will be great!  ;)

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 07:22:28 AM »
Alba, what a wonderful opportunity! Hope you have lots of fun.

I assume it's a beginning class, so you probably won't need too big a variety of things. How interesting that Katerina just took the same class. The teacher sounds great and her stuff is amazing.

And you know how calligraphers generally are - a very sharing bunch, and if there's anything you need and don't have hopefully you could borrow it. And hopefully the teacher will provide guideline sheets, or you'd just need a ruler. I like to take notes in classes so usually have a pen/pencil, with not much problem switching between instruments.

Have a great time!

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 06:34:21 PM »
Thank you so much Katerina and Tiffany!!! I will take your advices!! I think I will take a pair of extra obliques, some nibs (not so many just in case), my dinky dips and some pipettes (thanks, Katerina! I did not think about that!), some iron gall ink, a cleaning cloth, pencils and a normal notebook for taking notes. In my pencil case I always carry a small ruler, and I suppose a larger one would not be hard to find in a big city if needed.

Thank you so much again!! I am quite nervous about the whole thing!
Alba.

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 10:05:24 PM »
I would say to watch her write when she writes. Only practice letters when she stops writing. You will learn so much from watching her hand, arm, nib, and control. Of course others around you will probably just start writing with her, but don't. Also for me, I like to listen too, so it's hard to concentrate when an instructor talks a lot; I can't write either. I just try to absorb it all I guess.  No peer pressure, jk.

Have fun, she's amazing to learn from!

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 05:29:24 AM »
I would say to watch her write when she writes. Only practice letters when she stops writing. You will learn so much from watching her hand, arm, nib, and control. Of course others around you will probably just start writing with her, but don't. Also for me, I like to listen too, so it's hard to concentrate when an instructor talks a lot; I can't write either. I just try to absorb it all I guess.  No peer pressure, jk.

Have fun, she's amazing to learn from!

Nice advise!! Thank you so much!! I will do that! I love watching videos and DVDs for practice, but I suppose I cannot pause her as well!  ;D
Alba.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 05:38:38 AM »
I also took Barbara's Spencerian workshop about 2 years ago Ė it was great! I wrote a review about it (it's post #12):

http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=74.msg1611#msg1611

But maybe you don't want to spoil your surprise :).

We didn't have to bring anything, she even included Dinky Dips, iron gall ink, paper etc. I did bring my own nibs which she wasn't very fond of ;D. But I don't know if material is always included in her workshops, she mentioned that usually peope had to buy their supplies in advance.

I second to bring a better oblique than the Speedball though :). Or you buy one of the Sull holders she'll probably bring with her! I regret I didn't buy one back then.
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 06:53:02 AM »
Alba, I fly with my pointed pen nibs ALL THE TIME.  Even on International flights!  No worries!  Security doesn't consider them a threat!  I used an Ahab pen to practice on planes, as you can't really practice with an open jar of ink on a plane. (I tried it once & it made the flight attendants crazy!)  So, pack up your favorite nibs, pen holder & ink & go!   ;D  I'm very jealous that you are getting to take a class with Barbara!  I admire her work so much!!

Janis

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 07:18:56 AM »
I also took Barbara's Spencerian workshop about 2 years ago Ė it was great! I wrote a review about it (it's post #12):

http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=74.msg1611#msg1611

But maybe you don't want to spoil your surprise :).

We didn't have to bring anything, she even included Dinky Dips, iron gall ink, paper etc. I did bring my own nibs which she wasn't very fond of ;D. But I don't know if material is always included in her workshops, she mentioned that usually peope had to buy their supplies in advance.

I second to bring a better oblique than the Speedball though :). Or you buy one of the Sull holders she'll probably bring with her! I regret I didn't buy one back then.

Thanks Estefa!! Your review is amazing! More than spoiling the surprise I think it makes me more excited about the workshop!!  ;D
Alba.

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 07:24:24 AM »
Alba, I fly with my pointed pen nibs ALL THE TIME.  Even on International flights!  No worries!  Security doesn't consider them a threat!  I used an Ahab pen to practice on planes, as you can't really practice with an open jar of ink on a plane. (I tried it once & it made the flight attendants crazy!)  So, pack up your favorite nibs, pen holder & ink & go!   ;D  I'm very jealous that you are getting to take a class with Barbara!  I admire her work so much!!

Janis

Good to know, Janis!! I do not fly very often so I am always the crazy person worried about everything, 3 h in advanced at the airport, with my plane tickets printed twice, and measuring my bag every ten minutes... just in case...   ;D
Alba.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 10:18:28 AM »
... any tips?
Oh, Alba, how I envy you. Her work is wonderful and I'd surely take a course from her if she comes to the states.

Stephanie's and Amy's tips are right on the money.

The only thing I would add is, if she has time  (during a break maybe?) ask her to write your name (and bring the paper you would like to have her use). It will be something you will treasure.
She wrote this to me (it's an address label, hence the appearance). The x-height is 9mm, the whole label is about 160 x 230mm).

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 02:58:04 PM »
... any tips?
Oh, Alba, how I envy you. Her work is wonderful and I'd surely take a course from her if she comes to the states.

Stephanie's and Amy's tips are right on the money.

The only thing I would add is, if she has time  (during a break maybe?) ask her to write your name (and bring the paper you would like to have her use). It will be something you will treasure.
She wrote this to me (it's an address label, hence the appearance). The x-height is 9mm, the whole label is about 160 x 230mm).

That is beautiful!!! Thanks for the suggestion Michael! I am planning on bring a copy of her book for her to sign it for me (thanks to Katerina). Maybe I can experiment on "how many things you can ask before a calligraphy teacher hates you"  ;D
Alba.

Offline katerina

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 08:38:01 AM »
And so?  How was it?

Now I'm supercurios  ;D I took a peek at FB but now I want a detailed resume!  ;)

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 06:11:04 AM »
And so?  How was it?

Now I'm supercurios  ;D I took a peek at FB but now I want a detailed resume!  ;)

oh! It was amazing!!! Barbara is an amazing teacher, not only about calligraphy! She told us a lot of anecdotes in her life and gave us a lot of advice for life itself and how to find jobs and keep growing. The workshop was very intense. Two full days with her, doing exercises and practicing every letter and variations one by one. She used a projector so everyone could see perfectly how she was doing each stroke. She also spent some time with each of us correcting our letterforms and giving us individualized advice. She also showed us other styles of calligraphy, and differences between spencerian, copperplate, engrossers, etc.

The people at the workshop was very nice too. We were from all parts of Spain (and out!). I even met some flourish forum friends, Keysa and Nabeelah!! That was awesome! We went to lunch together, and after the classes some of us went drinking beers. Even on Monday, other two girls and I went shopping with Barbara while waiting for our flights back home!

It all was an amazing experience. And I really recommend to take a workshop with her if you have the opportunity!

By the way Katerina, I have a special photo for you, please send me your email in a DM or something and I'll send it to you. I want to thank you again for the book. Barbara loved the story and I got it signed! I will treasure it!!! Best signed book ever (as you all can see)!

Alba.

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 06:24:38 AM »
Oh and by the way, didn't have a problem with my materials on the plane. I travelled with 15 nibs in a tin, 2 bottles of ink and 4 dinky dips full of ink with no spilling, and my suitcase had more books, pens and papers than clothes!

At the workshop we didn't need anything because we had there all the materials. The only thing we needed was some ink, because of a last minute problem in the organization (the package with our materials was delayed at customs so they had to re-buy all the nibs, holders and pads locally, but McCaffery's ink is not available in Spain) but Barbara bring some bottles for us to buy and use there if needed. I used my own iron-pomegranate ink and it was ok. She even gifted us with some pentel gel pens and mechanical pencils, and we got a notebook for taking notes and a rhodia pad to practice.
Alba.