Author Topic: This is your forum! What do you want to see here?  (Read 3074 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
This is your forum! What do you want to see here?
« on: January 02, 2014, 10:52:03 PM »
I am loving all the great activity happening here at Flourish!!! I hope everyone feels comfortable posting and sharing and asking questions. Don't worry if you are a complete newbie, beginner, etc. We all started at the beginning and we all have something to offer, no matter what stage in the process!

This forum is for everyone and while I am working hard to share all I can, I hope others will share their knowledge and work, too!

I would like to ask what would you all like to learn and/or see here in the forum in 2014? Please share your suggestions and comments about what you hope to learn, see, and share. What topics, new categories, tutorials, etc.

I am completely open to any and all suggestions! Let's make 2014 a FANTASTIC year for calligraphy!  :D
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
Re: This is your forum! What do you want to see here?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 11:12:05 PM »
Hi Erica,
Thank you.
I would love to learn how to Flourish! 

Love,
Roseann
Roseann

The world is so full of a number of things, Im sure we should all be as happy as kings.   R. L. Stevenson

Offline ewigginton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 09:38:51 AM »
I would love to see any kind of modern exemplars. There are a ton of letter examples in Molly Suber Thorpe's book, but I would love to see them all together as an exemplar by style. I've tried assembling some by tracing her letters and assuming the first example of each letter, etc. is part of an alphabet but that's taking forever and I'm not exactly sure they belong together in an alphabet that way.

If anyone is aware of a resource, please share!

Thanks,

Ellen

Offline Perfectsettings

• View Profile
    • Perfect Settings
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 12:19:47 PM »
I'd love to see a modern alphabet.  I'm having a tough time coming up with something myself.
Daisy
Lover of all things beautiful.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 01:25:05 PM »
I would love to see more community projects :)
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 07:39:30 PM »
Such good suggestions already! Flourishing is definitely on the list as is a Modern exemplar. I have been deciding about how to break up the lessons to try to balance for both beginner and more advanced. So the exemplar will be a good topic for sooner rather than later.

Schin, I would love to hear more about the community project suggestion. Can you give some ideas?
Truly, Erica

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 08:10:18 PM »
I'd love to see a modern alphabet.  I'm having a tough time coming up with something myself.

Daisy, have you looked at Molly Jacques' Skillshare class? As a class project, you get to compose your own one-of-a-kind alphabet.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 05:05:24 PM by Linda Y. »

Offline ewigginton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 01:49:12 PM »
In my experience, there wasn't much assistance in developing one's own alphabet in that class. The reviews seem to reflect that opinion. It was a good way to get my feet wet, however, in pointed pen which I had no exposure to prior.

Offline Sharon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 03:11:38 PM »
Hi Erica,
Thank you.
I would love to learn how to Flourish! 

Love,
Roseann

Me too! Dying seeing the beautiful flourishing done by others.

Offline Sharon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 03:13:13 PM »
I would love to see any kind of modern exemplars. There are a ton of letter examples in Molly Suber Thorpe's book, but I would love to see them all together as an exemplar by style. I've tried assembling some by tracing her letters and assuming the first example of each letter, etc. is part of an alphabet but that's taking forever and I'm not exactly sure they belong together in an alphabet that way.

If anyone is aware of a resource, please share!

Thanks,

Ellen

Me too Ellen! Exactly what I'd like to see. Using Molly's book, I feel like I'm just mixing and not always matching! :-)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 06:44:20 PM »
Flourishing and modern alphabets for sure!  :D

I'm not sure what was added but I know Molly Jacques went back and added a lot more videos to her tutorial because of the feedback. I don't know if she added a modern exemplar per se but she expanded on her lessons. I have found the skillshare classes to be great instructors but difficult because they are project based. (It is probably the only reason I haven't looked into offering classes there.)

I find it hard to teach a full subject and a project together because you end up not having enough time to delve into either fully. But that is just me. I took one of the convert-your-calligraphy-to-vector courses and it was basically live tracing and keeping the "quirks" of the hand-lettered look which really doesn't help me.

This is why I have preferred the Lynda.com classes in the past as they are much more in depth and learning based, not project based. Although, they are software based learning, not calligraphy! I digress!

Sorry - I am going off topic! But anyway, wanted to mention that about Molly's class in case you missed the additional instruction she posted recently.
Truly, Erica

Offline Perfectsettings

• View Profile
    • Perfect Settings
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 01:45:10 PM »
Linda, I've never heard of Molly since I'm so new to all of this but I'm off to check it all out.  Thanks for the reply!
Daisy
Lover of all things beautiful.