Author Topic: Leonardt EF Principal Nib is too catchy.  (Read 9914 times)

Offline not just a card

• View Profile
Leonardt EF Principal Nib is too catchy.
« on: January 11, 2015, 09:16:32 PM »
I normally use Leonardt EF Principal Nib, Nikko G and Zebra G for copperplate.
I am working on a project which the paper surface is kinda medium to smooth and I realize that EF Principal nib is too catchy.
But I need a nib that has enough flex for shades, any other suggestion please?
Thank you all.

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
Re: Leonardt EF Principal Nib is too catchy.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 09:22:26 PM »
I'll mail you a couple of my SUPER MAGIC vintage gillott 303s ;) can you remind me your mailing address?

They are much stiffer than the Leonardt but I don't know what magic is involved - they never catch!  And they give a fine line. You just have to press harder.

Offline ExtrasbyAlaina

• View Profile
    • Extras by Alaina
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 09:38:10 PM »
I can't top magic nibs (which sound epic and amazing in every way!) but I would suggest the Brause Steno (blue pumpkin) - great thicks and, if you keep a light hand, wonderfully snagless hairlines! Can you tell it's my fave nib  :P

Offline Afreen Gaffar

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 10:02:49 PM »
I'll mail you a couple of my SUPER MAGIC vintage gillott 303s ;) can you remind me your mailing address?

They are much stiffer than the Leonardt but I don't know what magic is involved - they never catch!  And they give a fine line. You just have to press harder.

Moya!! You read my mind! I LOVE Gillott 303s and I was going to suggest the same!  :-* (Not that I am an expert lol! But I tried all nibs and Gillott just worked for me like MAGIC!! <3 )

Can you please let me know how to get hold of Vintage 303s and 303s in bulk pleassseee!! <3 <3

Regards,
Afreen.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 10:13:10 PM by Afreen Gaffar »
Budding Calligrapher,Artist, Engineer, Adventurer... and a bunch of other stuff :-)

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/afreengaffar/

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 10:09:55 PM »
Moya!! You read my mind! I LOVE Gillott 303s and I was going to suggest the same!  :-* (Not that I am an expert lol! But I tried all nibs and Gillott just worked for me like MAGIC!! <3

Can you please let me know how to get hold of Vintage 303s and 303s in bulk pleassseee!! <3 <3

Regards,
Afreen.

Haha I wish I knew!  I was lucky enough to stumble upon an Australian estate sale so I have a few - but I have no hope of ever getting any more, lucky finds like that just don't happen in Australia it seems :(

Offline Afreen Gaffar

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 10:16:54 PM »
Haha I wish I knew!  I was lucky enough to stumble upon an Australian estate sale so I have a few - but I have no hope of ever getting any more, lucky finds like that just don't happen in Australia it seems :(

Awww!! Thats sad :( Lucky finds like that don't happen anywhere!  :'( :'(

I'll keep an eye out on the usual sites here in US....if I get hold of something will let you know for sure!  :D

Regards,
Afreen.
Budding Calligrapher,Artist, Engineer, Adventurer... and a bunch of other stuff :-)

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/afreengaffar/

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 12:32:35 AM »
John Neal is currently selling some Gillott 303's. I've got some in the mail coming to me, I certainly can't wait.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 03:41:30 AM »
Moya!! You read my mind! I LOVE Gillott 303s and I was going to suggest the same!  :-* (Not that I am an expert lol! But I tried all nibs and Gillott just worked for me like MAGIC!! <3

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 05:19:08 AM »
That's interesting - this isn't the first time I've heard reports of snaggy LPefs lately.  For those who missed it, there was quite a kerfuffle about a batch which appeared last September with badly misaligned slits.  Leonardt were made aware of the problem and undertook to fix it - the nibs from that production run were pretty much unusable and many people returned them - but since the replacements went out a few people have told me that the LPef isn't as good as it was.  Since I bought in bulk before all this happened I haven't experienced the new production, but the Principal was never a scratchy nib before.  Given the usual retail price and the extravagant claims about the superiority of the product, this needs sorting out pronto.

As for the vintage 303s, they are indeed SUPER MAGIC!  :)  The way things seem to be going, I'd be more inclined to buy the modern 303s over the LPef, on the - ahem - principle that if you're going to get a scratchy nib, it may as well be cheap.

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 05:58:26 AM »
Now that you mention it Andy ... I have had problems with my most recent batch of EFPs.  I had just assumed it was a problem with me, not the nibs - I figured I'd set them aside for a while and come back to them when I run out of G303s.  But that's another data point for you just in case.

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 08:32:57 AM »
I agree--the vintage 303's are just the best and when they work, the LPef's are my 2nd favorite.  I've had some of the new batch LP's and can't say they're all fantastic either.  They seem to wear out a lot faster than they used to.  Just when the flex gets going, they start catching.   :-\
Debbie

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 02:54:55 PM »
New Gillott 303 are extremely sharp. I always dig into the paper no matter what kind it is. How come Gillot  won't make the principality again?

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 03:03:17 PM »
New Gillott 303 are extremely sharp. I always dig into the paper no matter what kind it is. How come Gillot  won't make the principality again?

Those were all hand finished to perfection which would be feasible if there was a huge demand for nibs but there's no way the profit would be worth it for them to setup such an operation. As with production of anything else, if there isn't enough demand (much much more than there is now) the costs of setting up an operation with the right machinery, materials, R&D and hands on man power it's just not something a company is willing to invest in.

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 03:08:43 PM »
I guess I have to stick with the manuscript principle.

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 03:36:49 PM »
Those were all hand finished to perfection which would be feasible if there was a huge demand for nibs but there's no way the profit would be worth it for them to setup such an operation. As with production of anything else, if there isn't enough demand (much much more than there is now) the costs of setting up an operation with the right machinery, materials, R&D and hands on man power it's just not something a company is willing to invest in.

I've read somewhere that women and children(!) were mainly the workers who did the handiwork in the pen factories because they have small hands :o

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/hanks-wells-cos-factory-birmingham-more-than-50-women-sit-news-photo/113442988

https://comestepbackintime.wordpress.com/2012/12/04/the-pen-room-museum-birmingham/

The second link has an illustration of the Joseph Gillott factory with women working on grinding the nibs...