Author Topic: help! my hand really hurts!  (Read 4320 times)

Offline dreamingkathleen

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
help! my hand really hurts!
« on: February 12, 2014, 09:02:32 PM »
So I'm finally starting to learn pointed pen, and so far I've had 3 practice sessons. I'm working on Lesson 1 in the tutorials and just trying to go over the basic strokes.

I'm having some problems though. When I write, my hand hurts. I just had to end early because my hand hurt too much. When I write with a regular pen, I can write forever, so I know I'm doing something wrong with the oblique pen. It feels very awkward and I'm constantly adjusting it. Even though I've read about and looked at diagrams on 'the correct angle' to put your paper at in relation to the pen, I am still confused about how exactly to sit, what angle to hold the nib at, etc. My pen 'rests' on my ring finger in my hand and now my ring finger really hurts. I think subconsciously I might grip the pen harder when I press down but I'm trying to hold it more loosely.

So yes, I think I need remedial lessons on pen holding 101. Anyone have any suggestions?
"Don't compare your beginning to someone else's middle."

my 2014 Lettering Project.

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• yogini, calligraphiste*
    • View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
Re: help! my hand really hurts!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 02:10:13 AM »
Hi Kathleen,

Don't know if this is helpful, but my pen doesn't touch my ring finger at all.  You often read that the grip on the pen should be easy and not too tight, and the ring finger and pinky finger curve under the hand the way they naturally do when the arm is at rest.  Could you adjust your hold and see if it helps? 

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 09:49:58 AM »
 :'( So sorry your hand is hurting! You are most likely using different muscles in your hand and the tension of trying to signal your hand to do something new is causing pain. Also, I did develop a hard callous on my middle finger where my pen rests. It's just been there for so long, it doesn't bother me.

One trick to try - hold a pencil, eraser side down, in your opposite hand against the paper while you are writing. Hold it as if you were going to write with it, but just place it against the page. This will help balance the energy and will take some of the stress off your writing hand. It really does work.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:51:48 AM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 04:25:03 PM »
Oh dear! Well I also read somewhere that sitting up straight and not hunching over will help. Try that, maybe it'll help some.
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline dreamingkathleen

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 11:12:30 AM »
Thanks everyone! I think that the angle of the oblique pen was throwing me off so I was holding it differently than I do a normal pen. I'm going to try to hold the pen more naturally and lightly. Also watch more videos and study how they use the pen. After I practice again today I will report back!

Also Erika I am going to try that trick! It sounds like it's so crazy it just might work!

Kathleen
"Don't compare your beginning to someone else's middle."

my 2014 Lettering Project.

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 01:47:21 PM »
One trick to try - hold a pencil, eraser side down, in your opposite hand against the paper while you are writing. Hold it as if you were going to write with it, but just place it against the page. This will help balance the energy and will take some of the stress off your writing hand. It really does work.  ;)

You, Erica, are a genius. I just tried this and it uncramps my hand considerably. Thank you!!
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline dailyletterings

• no formal training, but LOVE callig+hand-lettering
    • View Profile
    • daily letterings
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 08:01:07 PM »

wow! can't wait to try this one!!! as always... constantly sharing invaluable tips, erica!! thanks! i use a very tight grip on my pen (i feel it's the only way i can control my letters to look the way i want them to) and i hunch over and i tense my shoulders... i've got a lot of improving to do!
torrie t. asai

[email protected]
dailyletterings.tumblr.com
instagram: @dailyletterings

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 09:49:19 PM »
Kathleen, LOL - It is a bit crazy but it works! And the oblique angle seems weird for a bit but you really do hold the pen the same as you would a non-oblique. Let the angle of the flange do the work!  :)

Natascha, I'm happy it worked for you!  :D

Torrie - I still hunch over and tense my shoulders, too! I constantly have to remind myself!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline thistledesignstudio

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 12:16:17 PM »
My calligraphy teacher told use that hand cramps can be from the holder being too small so she suggested to the person in our class to use a thicker holder or one of those pencil grip thingies which helped her a lot.
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Blog  |  Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 05:53:21 PM »
Good tip! I didn't think of that. I can't use the smaller wooden handles because they hurt my hand, too.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram