Author Topic: Share some experience about Social Media  (Read 13345 times)

Offline Perfectsettings

• View Profile
    • Perfect Settings
Re: Share some experience about Social Media
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2014, 09:00:14 AM »
Hi everyone.  I have to admit I didn't read word-for-word on the last 4 pages of posts... but this topic is near and dear to me. 
Nikki, when blogging first became the thing to do for your business we had an unwritten law within the coordinating community and that was: DON'T read my blog.  Because once you read it you can't unread it and you think about it all day long.  I once wrote "think pink" as a blog title.  Know how many Think Pinks were posted?  Lots.  It's just like a song that gets stuck. 
All of that said, I do believe that artistic flare can sometimes be the same as thinking pink - so to speak.  You see it then you can't unsee it.  It could have very well been that that person DID see your logo and it was locked in the memory bank.  Intentional or unintentional it happens. 
Now, all of THAT said, there are those people who are "above" copying but do it b/c they think no one would think they would copy.  I see that a lot too.  Like the little old woman who told me; I cursed him out and said my peace.  I knew if he repeated it to anyone they'd say; Renee would NEVER talk like that!  Um, yeah.  It happens. 

Lastly, as for Pinterest... *sigh* I feel about Pinterest like I felt about Martha some 15 years ago.  Why do they show these shots of a block of ice with 25 pieces of shrimp on it, stacked on a vintage dresser in the middle of a wheat field then have brides come and ask; Daisy, could you do that for me?  My answer is always the same; sure! but think about people at a football game gathering around that dresser for their serving of shrimp!  I don't think brides put that stuff in perspective.  It makes me nuts!  and Pinterest perpetuates that!!!
Daisy
Lover of all things beautiful.

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2014, 09:52:26 AM »
2.  I am one of those IGers that uses the hashtags calligraphy, lettering, typography, etc. on my posts.  For me, when I post my work on IG, it's to get as much feedback as I possibly can...criticism, kudos, whatever...so I use the hashtags interchangeably to increase my views for personal gain!  :)

Guilty! Though I do know the difference.
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2014, 12:57:36 PM »
Why do they show these shots of a block of ice with 25 pieces of shrimp on it, stacked on a vintage dresser in the middle of a wheat field then have brides come and ask; Daisy, could you do that for me?  My answer is always the same; sure! but think about people at a football game gathering around that dresser for their serving of shrimp!  I don't think brides put that stuff in perspective.  It makes me nuts!  and Pinterest perpetuates that!!!

That's the funniest thing ever!! I like looking at Pinterest stuff for ideas, but some of them are just plain ridiculous and only looks great in a photo. There should be a 'ridiculous ideas' section on there.
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2014, 01:47:30 PM »
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 01:49:05 PM by Linda Y. »

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2014, 05:07:57 PM »
Thank you, Linda, I did a laugh out loud!

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2014, 05:21:12 PM »
Me too!!!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• yogini, calligraphiste*
    • View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2014, 04:23:04 PM »
This is an interesting subject.  I have a lot of thoughts on this. 

I found one of my own photos on somebody else's website, recently.  I prepared an email in my head and was going to send it, but the next day it was gone... maybe she was paying attention to Google Analytics? 

These days I'm trying my best to straight-up copy from my Sull's Ornamental Penmanship anthology, as I'm trying to improve and refine what I'm doing and make my writing, as much as possible, like some of my favorite Penmen's.  I'm trying to get all the traces of my 'handwriting' out of my calligraphy, if you see what I mean.  One's personality always comes through, I think, but I'm trying to understand and embody the basics in a better way.  The personality will always show eventually, I suppose, but I'm interested in technique right now.  When I have any time to practice, that is what I'm up to. 

When it comes to *current* artists or calligraphers, whenever what I've done something that was inspired in any way, or reminds me in any way, of the work of a living person, I always give credit. I've been inspired by some of Barbara Calzolari's beautiful banners (this is a common illustration in calligraphy), but I never actually tried to draw one until her banners made me care about them.  (In the one and only broadpen class that I ever took, my teacher used them in a heraldry-like way on envelopes, but those didn't turn my head). 

I learned some shapes in flourishing from Heather Held's videos, which I used on a holiday card, and I posted my attempts on IG and linked to her (and wrote her an email saying thanks).   A while back, when a bride I was working for asked me to decorate her wedding food bar signage with some gold accents (I first tried to splatter them here and there like goldy stars or something, then I made little tendrils of gold around the ascenders and descenders), and finally I ended up trying to squiggle and dot them on the just on the black letters instead of on the white paper, to pick up and reflect a bit of light in a subtle way.  Of course, the second I did that, I had a very clear image of one of Schin's beautiful photos, where she had done something very intricate and beautiful with pearls of white ink to mimic the pattern on a piece of china dinnerware (totally gorgeous), and I thought, "I have to show her this, lol"...  Not the same thing as my little reflective "dots", but of course I tagged her right away on IG and laughed about how mine looked like a leopard.  :)  I absolutely had one of Estefa's first show-and-tell posts in the forefront of my mind the other day when I was making some signage on black paper, and was trying to work out how to include a cat.  Her Halloweeny-feeling poster for a theatre piece obviously made its mark on me and I would like to try to capture a feeling that I got from looking at that work, rather than an exact detail.  Whenever I'm inspired by someone directly, I always would give credit.  These are all the living people/IG/forum/FB friends that pop into my mind right now, whose stuff has inspired or influenced me.   

I guess what I mean is I can feel a difference in between "inspired by" and "in imitation of".  It bears mentioning even when you weren't directly inspired by someone, but nevertheless it made you think of their work after you look at it.  I saw another calligrapher in France use what is more or less an exact copy of a descender flourish that I regularly make on the little "r" in "Paris" the other day, but it's also kind of an obvious mark to make in a central, evenly spaced kind of place at the bottom of an envelope... just kind of looks like it belongs there.  Like Erica said, different people using the same kinds of inspirations can end up making the same kind of mark.  My own is based on something from the Universal Penman, anyway.  I've had someone ask me to make an exemplar of an alphabet, so they can learn from it!  That's funny to me... why would anyone... they just don't realize yet that there's a wealth of work by real masters to draw from. 

So many masters to copy, so little time.  ;)  As for living people-- if you wouldn't show it to them happily, maybe you shouldn't do it? 

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• yogini, calligraphiste*
    • View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2014, 05:24:17 PM »

Lastly, as for Pinterest... *sigh* I feel about Pinterest like I felt about Martha some 15 years ago.  Why do they show these shots of a block of ice with 25 pieces of shrimp on it, stacked on a vintage dresser in the middle of a wheat field then have brides come and ask; Daisy, could you do that for me?  My answer is always the same; sure! but think about people at a football game gathering around that dresser for their serving of shrimp!  I don't think brides put that stuff in perspective.  It makes me nuts!  and Pinterest perpetuates that!!!

THIS, ABSOLUTELY !   I've been part of a few styled shoots just like this.   ;D ;D ;D

You are so funny.