Author Topic: Writing on Glass  (Read 5536 times)

Offline thistledesignstudio

• View Profile
Writing on Glass
« on: June 13, 2014, 09:37:41 AM »
I've seen a lot of calligraphers writing wedding seating charts, menus, etc. on glass.

I'd like to attempt a project for my kids' teachers for an end of the year gift but have no clue what to use!   :o

Recommendations for best tools for writing on glass please!
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Blog  |  Instagram

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
Re: Writing on Glass
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 09:39:49 AM »
Not sure if this is the answer to the question you want , but a dental drill is good to write on glass. Now where you get one of those I have no Idea?

Offline thistledesignstudio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 10:09:39 AM »
Local dentist offices Brad?  LOL!

Looking for all recommendations...markers, etching tools, etc.

I *think* I saw somewhere someone that used Sharpies Oil Based Paint Pens...anyone?
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Blog  |  Instagram

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 10:12:43 AM »

LOL, I try to stay away that noise makes me cringe!

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 12:28:28 PM »
Here's a snip I posted in another thread that might help

Large chisel markers depending on the surface area, here are the varieties I own:

a - Montana (German) Acrylics are available in different colors and they offer empty markers with nib sizes of 15mm, 30mm and even a 50mm wide one. You can then fill them with whatever colors you want that they offer, these inks are high flow acrylics with great opacity depending on the surface. Molotow offers similar markers and their inks are superb.
b - Pentel Wet Erase Jumbo Markers Are great if they need to be removed.
c - Montana (Spain) 94 Markers are very nice as well and highly permanent as they are alcohol based.

These all come in smaller sizes and work great on glass

In addition to those I now use the BIC Jumbo Window Marker which is extremely easy to clean up. I'm attaching a quick piece I did and placed on my desk at work a few months ago with it on a piece of acrylic.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 12:30:01 PM by Heebs »

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 09:49:49 PM »
I have some jumbo liquid chalk markers that I use to write on windows at work ... but they're not permanent at all, they'll brush off with a dry paper towel.  (Fun though!)

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 06:52:42 AM »
I think you can get glass paint pens. Try Googling glass paint pens.

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 10:50:28 AM »
I have tried Bistro, Chalk Ink and Uni Posca markers.  They all do a pretty good job and I imagine it just depends on your preference.  The Uni Posca markers do come in a wide array of colors, though.  My biggest discovery and why I popped this thread back to the top is that gouache and a paint brush works REALLY well!  Just remember to keep the mixture pretty thick, just a tad thicker than you might use with bleed proof white. 
Debbie

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 03:30:25 PM »
I recently got some silver and gold permanent markers. They were not really easy to find in Spain so I hoarded a bit. They are Edding 751 with a 1-2 mm round point, Edding 780 with a 0.8 mm fine point (available also in white) and Edding 753 "calligraphy" with a 2.5 mm italic point. They were good for a job on some wedding invites to write uncial over printed toner and they work also on plastic and crystal.
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 04:11:06 PM »
I have tried Bistro, Chalk Ink and Uni Posca markers.  They all do a pretty good job and I imagine it just depends on your preference.  The Uni Posca markers do come in a wide array of colors, though.  My biggest discovery and why I popped this thread back to the top is that gouache and a paint brush works REALLY well!  Just remember to keep the mixture pretty thick, just a tad thicker than you might use with bleed proof white.

Interesting tip about the gouache! Do you know how easily it comes off?

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 05:22:36 PM »
Many apologies for not replying sooner, Meredith!  I forgot to turn on notifications for this one and am just seeing your question. 

Clean up is as easy if not easier than with the markers and you can put it on as thick or thin as you like and it adheres as well as the markers, too.  For final clean up, I wanted to polish the mirror and free it from fingerprints, it withstood just like the marker areas, a light buffing with a microfiber cloth. 
Debbie

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 06:07:50 PM »

Looking for all recommendations...markers, etching tools, etc.

I *think* I saw somewhere someone that used Sharpies Oil Based Paint Pens...anyone?

I recently did a window for a Anniversary party and I used Sharpie water based paint pen. I bought the fine and extra fine pens and for the job and I ended up using the extra fine because the fine tip was still putting down too much paint but the extra fine worked perfect. And clean up was easy. Windex and a paper towel.
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 09:09:52 PM »
Many apologies for not replying sooner, Meredith!  I forgot to turn on notifications for this one and am just seeing your question. 

Clean up is as easy if not easier than with the markers and you can put it on as thick or thin as you like and it adheres as well as the markers, too.  For final clean up, I wanted to polish the mirror and free it from fingerprints, it withstood just like the marker areas, a light buffing with a microfiber cloth.

Thanks, Debbie!

Offline Achaneystudio

• View Profile
    • www.achaneystudio.com
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 08:23:52 AM »
I love DecoColor acrylic markers for mirrors and glass - I've also had some luck with Chalk Ink brand chalk markers - I've had some clients who want their seating chart on a mirror for instance but then want to be able to wipe it off later - the chalk ink brand does not rub off with a dry touch, but comes off super easily with a wet paper towel.. so it'll stay in tact for the day but isn't permanent. Clients love that.

Hope this is helpful!

Offline MyPenToPaper

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 11:02:11 PM »
great info! I will definitely be trying these out.
I'd like to update my workspace and calligraphy on glass is so gorgeous!