Author Topic: DIPPING YOUR NIB INTO WHAT?  (Read 11744 times)

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
Re: DIPPING YOUR NIB INTO WHAT?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 01:09:39 PM »
I do something similar with plastic pipettes – they hold about 3 ml of ink, I keep small quantities of metallic inks in them and load the nib drop by drop. I find shaking less of a hassle because I just put the finger on the pipette instead of having to close the ink jar every time the ink needs shaking.
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 02:45:07 PM »
Faeleia: That's ridiculous. I am sure your local manicure shop has them and is willing to sell. Or go to those wholesale beauty shops, they should have some.
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 04:38:10 PM »
Dentists use dappen dishes as well.  Call Dr. Joe!

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 06:02:46 PM »
i found some great small italian jam jars that are wide mouth, short, and the base is just as wide as the mouth...did i just describe George Costanza?
anyhoo, they are glass for easy clean up, copper lid is very pretty, and they won't tip over because of their width.  i love them!

Italians make the best stuff. Hehe
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 10:22:18 PM »
Reply to Ellen -the syringe is difficult to loosen just a drop or two onto a nib or reservoir - you be wise not to do this as you might find yourself cleaning up an ink spot

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 01:25:48 AM »
I have done this before.  Too much of a hassle just easier  to dip. I would still have to shake the excess off the nib into the ink jar because it would puddle up on the nib. Works better for broad edge nibs with reservoirs. 

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 06:55:41 AM »
Faeleia: That's ridiculous. I am sure your local manicure shop has them and is willing to sell. Or go to those wholesale beauty shops, they should have some.

Are dappen dishes used by manicure shops? Didn't know that. Will go scour some shops and see what i come up with.

Yeah, shipping to Singapore is costly.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 06:57:44 AM »
I also didn't know that — I had never seen them before and thought maybe they are used as a table dish for spices or such :D!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 10:28:42 AM »
reply to Ellen - good idea, but the syring is difficult to expel one drop at a time. Careful you don't get ink all over yourself and everything else.
Harvey

Offline Aisling Beatha

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2014, 12:08:58 PM »
i found some great small italian jam jars that are wide mouth, short, and the base is just as wide as the mouth...did i just describe George Costanza?
anyhoo, they are glass for easy clean up, copper lid is very pretty, and they won't tip over because of their width.  i love them!

Oooh, I think I have a stash of them somewhere I was saving for another project.  Never thought of using them for this!
THANK YOU for the suggestion!

Offline rebeccasinnen

• View Profile
    • Hadassah Calligraphy
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2014, 11:23:32 AM »
The syringe has got me thinking.  Has anyone tried sucking the ink into the syringe, and then added it by drop to the nib?  Afterwards, the syringe could be emptied back into the bottle.

When I use the Hydrus Watercolors, I just use the dropper that comes in the bottle to put ink on the nib.  Nalgene no-drip bottles will dispense one drop at a time without spilling.  You can find them here:
http://www.containerstore.com/shop/travel/bottlesMedication?productId=10000248
I think John Neal sells them now too, but I actually got mine at the local art store.

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2014, 01:08:55 PM »
I recently learned that dappen dishes are used in nail salons for holding something or another.  Perhaps they are available locally at beauty supply stores.

Offline steffie_sf

• Freshman Member
  • The Tea Lady Writes CALLIGRAPHY
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2015, 11:26:57 PM »
While waiting for my dinky dips order, i had to make use of our shot glasses at home, small enough to carry ink and wide enough so the oblique pen can fit  ;)
"What we learn with pleasure, we never forget." - Alfred Mercier
steffie_sf (IG)

Offline Jeremy_S

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • BEERngineer
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2015, 03:31:27 AM »
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have found something that is a bit novel, and I like it a lot!

I use brass plumbing fittings, end caps. They are just the right shape and depth to use for an inkwell, and are pleasingly heavy. I use the male cap as the ink holder, and the female cap as the cap. 1/2" and 3/4" caps fall into a reasonable price range for me. On my main inkwell, I soldered the male end to a chunk of copper to make it harder to tip and to provide a better grip when opening.

I cut out some circles from an old silicone cake pan to use as gaskets on the caps, this prevents leaks and gives a soft but firm close.

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2015, 09:54:20 AM »
Nice and heavy and cheap. A good combo. My only concern would be with IG or other acidic inks reacting with the brass or copper. Not sure if it would be a problem or not.

When I use a straight holder, I like to use 2 oz Nalgene bottles. I can screw them on tightly and carry them around safely, but can also see how much is in there and they don't react with the ink.

For use with an oblique holder, I've become a big fan of Dinky Dips in the wooden base. I've also used a shot glass for an emergency ink well and it worked great. I would imagine old baby food jars, the short, fat ones, would also work well if you have a lot of ink.

I'll take a look at the plumbing section of the hardware store now. They also have the end caps for plastic pipes that might work, but you'd have to improvise a cap.

And another hint, if you're looking to adhere one material (like a glass jar) to a heavier base of another material, since you can't weld glass or wood, I've become a big fan of Sugru. You can do amazing stuff with this moldable, sculptable silicon "glue." https://sugru.com/  Ever since they started selling it in Target (large chain store in the US), I always have some around and use it for a million uses. Most recently I took a section of an old glass stir rod, and molded a small bulb at the end containing a tiny rare-earth magnet using sugru. I use this to retrieve steel nibs that have fallen into my ink bottle. It's only happened a couple of times, but it's a real pain when it does.

I've also used Sugru to creat a new "seal" for the inside of the cap of an old Sheaffer ink bottle, the one with the built-in filling "shelf." Which, by the way, is also a great bottle to use for dip pens. The built-in shelf works quite well for even oblique holders. If you can find one of those they work well. Unfortunately, they haven't made those bottles since about the '80's. But they were made from the 30's, so there are still quite a few around.

No connection to Sugru, just a huge fan.
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/