Author Topic: Underliners  (Read 3375 times)

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
Underliners
« on: July 22, 2014, 11:36:20 AM »
Has anyone (everyone) tried Underliners? They are clear heavy plastic with nib widths preprinted and come 6 ito a package. They are mostly for broad tip nibs, but can be used for pointed nibs as well. Their nib widths are: fine, medium, broad, B2, B3 and B4, but choose the one you like best for copperplate or Spencerian writing - PLUS you can even turn them at a slant to give yourself slant lines. Thse Underliners go underneath your artwork so that no lines are visible on top, but clearly visible underneath (best when used with a lightbox). I suggest mounting them with removable scotch tape to your artwork or directly to your lightbox. They will be easily removed when finished and last a lifetime. They are extremely useful when wanting to write on a straight line, but you can improvise and not write on the line giving yourself the flexibility of bounce. Underliners are the answer to the Phantom Line Guideand Ames (Draw your Own Lines) but need light reflecting upward in order to see the lines throught your paper. I endorse them highly, and you won't be sorry when you use them…I always hated to draw lines then come back and erase - I found that counter-productive and time consuming…ink smearing, and loss of ink quality on the paper. They are available from Paper and Ink Arts for only $7.95 per set…this is only a recommendation not a For Sale item even tho I have a few left in inventory.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:37:01 PM by penstaff »

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
Re: Underliners
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 11:42:58 AM »
i have these and love them, use them all the time.  i used a fine tip red sharpie and drew 55 degree slant lines on them.  i use them with the Lightpad and the are well worth the $8.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 01:15:58 PM »
I love these and they're indispensable for writing letters on unlined paper! I tape my favorite underliner sheet to a bunch of scrap paper as cushion, and lay my writing paper over it and secure with paper clips. Instant guidelines!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 04:01:22 PM »
Once you use them you will find them indispensable.
Harvey (penstaff)

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 07:39:54 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation, Harvey.

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 09:36:12 PM »
Reply to SueL, you are so welcome. Hope you enjoy using them as much as I (and others) have. You can even send them thru a copy machine (onto another clear sheet of plastic) and have duplicates to use as slant lines, cut them up to use inside envelopes etc., but the copier's copy will rub off if not careful. But it might become more permanent if you sprayed it with clear coat. This is an $8 item that is truly worth the money and more (imho).

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 04:30:32 AM »
I'm sorry, I have no idea what this is and a product search on PIA didn't turn up anything either. Could you post a photo?
Are they just plastic guideline sheets? If so, why not just use a piece of paper with printed guides unterneath the paper you're writing on?
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline patweecia

• View Profile
    • Patty Paperie
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 05:11:45 AM »
@sisterofdream i think this is what they are talking about:  http://www.paperinkarts.com/undrln.html

i saw them in dickblick too http://www.dickblick.com/products/transparent-underliners/
patricia
instagram    |   blog    |   facebook

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 05:41:25 AM »
I still don't get the difference between that and a guide sheet ??? ???
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 07:46:52 AM »
for me the difference is durability.  i use paper guidelines too but they usually get wet, ink stained, and eventually kinda crunchy...so yes i just print out another sheet...but the underliners you can wipe clean if anything splatters or spills on it.  and they are clear so you can really see the lines through.  i wouldn't necessarily call them life changing or a must have...just nice to have.

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 08:19:41 AM »
Thanks Joi, I wasn't sure if I was missing something.
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 09:17:07 AM »
reply to sisterofdreams: they are just another good tool to have in your arsenal. They basically allow you to see your guide lines better than paper plus more durable. If you don't have a set you'll never know what you have missed. True, not a life changing tool, but another helpful tool to have…like a ruler or pencil, etc.
penstaff

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 10:54:09 AM »
@Joi:  How did you draw your 55 degree slant lines??  A protractor and a ruler?  How far apart are the parallel lines?

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 12:37:34 PM »
reply to joi: Very simply draw your slant lines directly onto the Underliner with a protractor and ruler and Sharpie (color your choice). Then automatically you have your slant lines while looking through your paper. The parallel lines are not changeable - you would have to get a different sheet (fine, medium, broad, B1, B2, B3) for different parallel lines.
penstaff

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 04:27:50 PM »
Thank you!!

Janis