Author Topic: 'Tagging' members in posts  (Read 2492 times)

Offline ultraQuiche

• View Profile
'Tagging' members in posts
« on: June 05, 2014, 08:48:00 PM »
Could there be a way to 'tag' a member in a post, so that they get some sort of notification if they have been tagged in a post by someone else? For example, I could tag Christopher in my recent thank you post, and he would be notified of it after I posted.

Jut an idea, with no consideration of the technical challenges it may pose to implement.

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
Re: 'Tagging' members in posts
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 08:27:23 AM »
Could there be a way to 'tag' a member in a post, so that they get some sort of notification if they have been tagged in a post by someone else? For example, I could tag Christopher in my recent thank you post, and he would be notified of it after I posted.

Jut an idea, with no consideration of the technical challenges it may pose to implement.

I thought about the same thing.  I think it's a great idea. 
Debbie

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 09:45:21 AM »
This feature is in Facebook.  My one concern is that it might make the forum look "clique-ish" to new members.  Maybe we could send a PM to that person instead?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 11:54:41 AM »
I just checked and there is a new mod for this. However, it is still very new and I'm not sure how well it works. I will have to do a full forum backup before I can upload any new mods so this will take me a bit. But I will hopefully get to it soon.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 12:10:54 PM »
I'm hesitant about this for a few reasons... first, it pulls from data so it will increase data usage. Since the forum is free and I pay for everything myself, I can't increase resources unnecessarily. Second, it opens a door for spammers. Third, it could increase thread length significantly if there is something a bunch of people want to call to other members' attention.

There are two ways to do it. The first sends a PM to let the person know so they would only see it when they log onto the forum. The second sends an email and also creates a "mention" section in your My Messages box and then creates a "Mentions" list.

I will think on this one for a bit. I do like the idea - just not sure of the consequences of implementing.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 02:34:50 PM »
I appreciate your explanations of why it might not be a good idea, Erica.  I'm happy I found the Forum while it's still relatively young.  With more and more people signing up every day, I would hate to see it become a FB for calligraphers. 
Debbie

Offline ultraQuiche

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 04:19:05 AM »
The PM idea is just as well, and I would also hesitate to unnecessarily increase resources. Thank you for your consideration (:

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 09:27:46 PM »
I'm hesitant about this for a few reasons... first, it pulls from data so it will increase data usage. Since the forum is free and I pay for everything myself, I can't increase resources unnecessarily. Second, it opens a door for spammers. Third, it could increase thread length significantly if there is something a bunch of people want to call to other members' attention.

There are two ways to do it. The first sends a PM to let the person know so they would only see it when they log onto the forum. The second sends an email and also creates a "mention" section in your My Messages box and then creates a "Mentions" list.

I will think on this one for a bit. I do like the idea - just not sure of the consequences of implementing.

Erica, just to piggyback on an older thread - I know that you pay for everything yourself, and this is really such a great resource.  Have you considered implementing a 'donate' button?  It could be a way of keeping the forum free to everyone, but allowing those of us who are in a position to assist with costs to do so - I think that compulsory membership costs would drive traffic away, but I'd like to help out, when I can.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 11:34:51 PM »
Thanks Moya! That is very thoughtful of you. A few members have suggested it so I may add one. I just don't want anyone to feel obligated. But I so appreciate your thoughtfulness!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram