Author Topic: Lettering Styles  (Read 8739 times)

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Lettering Styles
« on: August 06, 2014, 04:20:58 PM »
I'm a book hog and have a lot of calligraphy books, so I am in general familiar with many of the calligraphy "hands".  There is a calligrapher who is very popular here in the US and who has a big online presence.  Her work is beautiful and she seems to know so very many "hands".  However, I am unfamiliar with most of the names of the hands, as they are not in any of my calligraphy books.  Her website is www.theconstantscribe.com and if you look at her portfolio, she as names such as "Lettering style:  Burgues", "Cezanne Script with Lively Romans", "Lettering Style:  Markham", "Lettering Style:  April TCS", and etc.  Can anyone explain to me whether or not those are really calligraphy hand names?  Her work does seem to be hand done and she notes the ink she used ("Ink:  Black Sumi", "Ink:  Walnut", etc.), so I believe that she is actually doing calligraphy.  Do you think she is copying computer fonts?  (Did that even make sense to you?)  Or, am I just terribly uninformed about the vast array of calligraphy hands? 

Her work is gorgeous and she's someone I'd like to someday emulate, but what is it that she's really doing??

Janis

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
Re: Lettering Styles
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 05:01:47 PM »
There are quite a few hands that are little known and don't show up in the many available books but, as you alluded to, many times they are hand interpretations of computer fonts. I saw at least one that is based on a computer font but computer fonts are often digital interpretations of classic typefaces/calligraphy and it becomes difficult to track down origins due to the many levels of translation.

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 05:19:20 PM »
Hmmm, Heebs, you've got me thinking!  I use a computer font, "Edwardian Script" (a true type font) on Wills, Deeds, & other formal legal documents when i want them to be very attractive.  It's basically just Copperplate on the computer.  I think that you're right, that she may be copying different computer fonts.  I wonder how hard that would be to do?  Do you have an opinion about that?  I guess you'd print out the uppercase and lowercase letters in that font, as a guide when addressing envelopes??  I wonder if I could do that!

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 05:36:03 PM »
Yep! Lot's of people do that, there are many digital typefaces that are very beautiful and stand out when you want to use something other than the standard classic styles. Edwardian Script, for example, was designed by Ed Benguiat in the early 90s to mimic the pointed pen (most likely roundhand or copperplate) but there are still some liberties he took when interpreting the style.

Sometimes you'll find that certain digital fonts are hard to replicate with a pointed pen because the weight is placed in unusual places but you can always adapt them yourself.

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 06:03:36 PM »
I have a bunch of fonts on my computer, but none of them have names matching the names that she assigned to her work.  But, just for fun, I went into PhotoShop and picked a font ("Cotillion") and wrote out an alphabet, as if I were making a sampler to cheat off of while making calligraphy letters.  Do you think that this' basically what she's doing?

I don't have a problem with her copying fonts, and in fact rather admire it, since it's likely harder to do that one would think!  And, I suppose she must be good at pointed pen in the first place, since her exemplars in Copperplate look good to me.  Do you think she picks the fonts based upon the job?  e.g., to match a particular invitation font, or to match the "style" of a couple?  OR what?  I'm pretty intrigued, as she shows a vast array of styles that are each very attractive in their own way.

Offline Marcia Aronow

• View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Marcia Aronow
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 06:53:27 PM »
Hi Janis - Kim is from another Chicago suburb.  We have corresponded, but never met in person.  I admire her work tremendously.  However she learned her varied styles, or whatever she chooses to call them, it all must work for her.  She's very nice & quite willing to talk shop, as I have done with her.  I bet if you emailed her with questions, she'll get back to you.     
Enjoy your day!
Marcia

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 08:56:10 PM »
She is really good! All of her lettering styles can be traced back to a typeface. She even says on her autumn invite that she matched her lettering to the font used on the invite. She has quite the talent! Loved sifting through her stuff!
Star

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 11:16:04 PM »
I have a bunch of fonts on my computer, but none of them have names matching the names that she assigned to her work.  But, just for fun, I went into PhotoShop and picked a font ("Cotillion") and wrote out an alphabet, as if I were making a sampler to cheat off of while making calligraphy letters.  Do you think that this' basically what she's doing?

I don't have a problem with her copying fonts, and in fact rather admire it, since it's likely harder to do that one would think!  And, I suppose she must be good at pointed pen in the first place, since her exemplars in Copperplate look good to me.  Do you think she picks the fonts based upon the job?  e.g., to match a particular invitation font, or to match the "style" of a couple?  OR what?  I'm pretty intrigued, as she shows a vast array of styles that are each very attractive in their own way.

That is Script MT font. Most PC's have it loaded.

If you are trying to find a name of a font or typeface made by a computer, whatthefont.com helps. You need to crop a JPEG of the letters and upload it to their website. It is pretty accurate for finding the names. I had to use it in my typography class for my font journal.

She probably asks the client for their invitation and then creates the script based on that. I have had many clients want me to write like their styles. It doesn't work for me, because it's like learning a new calligraphy hand. More power to her though.

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 11:25:52 PM »
I'm a book hog and have a lot of calligraphy books, so I am in general familiar with many of the calligraphy "hands".  There is a calligrapher who is very popular here in the US and who has a big online presence.  Her work is beautiful and she seems to know so very many "hands".  However, I am unfamiliar with most of the names of the hands, as they are not in any of my calligraphy books.  Her website is www.theconstantscribe.com and if you look at her portfolio, she as names such as "Lettering style:  Burgues", "Cezanne Script with Lively Romans", "Lettering Style:  Markham", "Lettering Style:  April TCS", and etc.  Can anyone explain to me whether or not those are really calligraphy hand names?  Her work does seem to be hand done and she notes the ink she used ("Ink:  Black Sumi", "Ink:  Walnut", etc.), so I believe that she is actually doing calligraphy.  Do you think she is copying computer fonts?  (Did that even make sense to you?)  Or, am I just terribly uninformed about the vast array of calligraphy hands? 

Her work is gorgeous and she's someone I'd like to someday emulate, but what is it that she's really doing??

Janis

This book "The Calligraphers Bible" has 100 hands. I just receive it as a present. It is awesome, because you can check out what script everyone is talking about like Fractura and not feel lost. Oh maybe that is just me. Plus it has a calligraphy history lesson too.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Calligraphers-Bible-Complete-Alphabets/dp/0764156152/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=01SJTC2YAH70BZJ9KPSC

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 03:09:48 AM »
Many of the best Calligraphy fonts were drawn to simulate handwriting, and were not written.

I've modified one or two myself, to add to my "armoury". As the fonts were drawn and not written, there are occasional shades in odd places. To produce them, it is necessary to turn the paper or the hand and to break the letter into several strokes. Alternatively, it is possible to modify the letter to conform to normal lettering. I prefer the latter approach, as I like to be able to use the style(s) in normal writing.

Handwriting suitable fonts isn't particularly difficult to do. As with so many aspects of our craft, it's largely a matter of observation.

Here are three additions to my "repertoire". Having made the necessary slight amendments, I prefer to use these as my exemplars for future use.

1) Handwritten "Clerestory"

The alphabet and example were written with a Rotring Artpen fitted with an edged nib.

2) Handwritten "Kaufmann"

I wrote the alphabet in monoline as in the original font, but chose to write the example with an edged nib. I think that both work well and are suitable for a handwriting style.
The alphabet was written with a Pelikan fountain pen fitted with a round-tipped fine nib and the example, with a Manuscript fountain pen fitted with a medium, edged nib.

Handwritten "Elicit"

Handwritten with Rotring Artpens.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 06:06:42 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 10:16:10 AM »
Ken, that's brilliant!  I'm really interested in what you and the lady at the Constant Scribe are doing with copying typeface with pointed and/or broad-edge nibs!  I'm going to try to work off of a font this weekend.  Her "ornate citadel" (shown in the Gallery on one of her envelope samples) is just gorgeous!  I love that "M" she shows!  I may also attempt one of your samples this weekend!

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 07:45:26 AM »
Ken, that's brilliant!  I'm really interested in what you and the lady at the Constant Scribe are doing with copying typeface with pointed and/or broad-edge nibs!  I'm going to try to work off of a font this weekend.  Her "ornate citadel" (shown in the Gallery on one of her envelope samples) is just gorgeous!  I love that "M" she shows!  I may also attempt one of your samples this weekend!

To me, there is no difference in adding to my repertoire by converting suitable fonts to handwriting, or by writing in the styles of others. Her are four of the trickier ones which I use occasionally. The first was devised by James Hayes and the others are credited within the texts themselves.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 08:30:23 AM by Ken Fraser »