Author Topic: HELP! Calligraphy Ink for Glass or Ceramic  (Read 3891 times)

Offline houseofrika

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
HELP! Calligraphy Ink for Glass or Ceramic
« on: November 26, 2014, 09:35:50 PM »
A friend requested for me to do custom ornaments for her husband's soldiers and she wants to have calligraphy done with their names.  I've played with several mediums including Sharpie (Oil Based) and I do not like the outcome.  I can't get the fire hairlines without actually using a nib.  The ornaments are just the circular ceramic you can find on any Art Store.  I am at a loss.  Do I just give up and tell her I cannot do it?!  HELP!!!!

Frustrated Calligrapher,
Rika

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
Re: HELP! Calligraphy Ink for Glass or Ceramic
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 07:41:17 PM »
I've had good luck with a paintbrush and Finetec Gold, in a previous life - a soft, long paintbrush.  It's hard to get very fine lines, of course, but you can get relatively fine lines on a bigger scale.  The trick is in getting the right paintbrush - it needs to be round, and quite long and slender - and then you need to practice using it, because that is a heck of a trick that I still don't quite have down. 

I think I ended up cradling the baubles on blobs of blu-tac so that they would stay put, and then bracing my forearm on a couple of books to get to a good height and to minimise the shake.

I've also seen people have great results writing with a glue pen and then applying glitter.

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 12:06:54 AM »
You might try Dr ph maritins iridescent inks. I have not used this on ornaments but copperplate gold has adhered to every surface I've tried so far.

Offline houseofrika

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 09:44:40 PM »
Thank you all!  I will try all of your recommendations!  I felt like I have attempted every possible thing with this thing and I am so close to throwing the towel down and calling it quits!

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 08:35:18 PM »
oh, I didn't mention - I did have to clean the baubles with rubbing alcohol first - nothing would stick until the surface was very very clean.

And I suspect bits will still smear off them if they are played with - I might get some kind of clear varnish spray if I do it again, as that is certainly a risk!

Let us know how you go :) Post pictures!

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 03:21:41 AM »
Hi Rika,
I saw the finished ornament on IG.
It's beautiful.  What did you use to write on the ornament?
Roseann

The world is so full of a number of things, Im sure we should all be as happy as kings.   R. L. Stevenson

Offline marilyns

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 10:43:50 PM »
I have a request to write in black monoline on a glazed ceramic piece.  Would like the calligraphy to be waterproof for hand washing if possible.  Any suggestions on what medium to use.

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 06:35:56 AM »
If you go on Pinterest or Google and do a search for Sharpie ceramics, you will find many tutorials for writing on ceramics with Sharpies and baking them in a regular oven. Craft stores (Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc) also have special paint markers for writing on ceramics and baking. Pebeo makes paint in jars that are for ceramics and glass. I have used all of them and they all work.

Not all ceramics are create equal. There are many different glazes. So, in a perfect world, you will have a spare piece to do some testing. But, if you do not have a lot of time or if the budget is tight, Sharpies would be the easiest ones to try first.

I have chipped off Pebeo (which is the most permanent of all) with an Xacto knife. You can scrape any of them off if necessary.
The ceramic surface is very tough, so even if you have to do the testing on the finished piece...you don't have to worry if you need to redo the lettering.

Jean

Offline marilyns

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 10:51:25 PM »
Jean, thanks for your response.  I looked at the tutorials and did some Googling.  Went to local Hobby Lobby but they did not have what I thought I needed.  After cleaning the writing area with rubbing alcohol, used a permanent Sharpie on one of my own porcelain pieces, let it dry for 24 hours, put it through the dishwasher.  Did not put it in the oven as most of the tutorials advised--did not want to take a chance on damaging customer's piece in the oven.  My piece came out of the dishwasher looking great. So I did the same process on customer's piece.  Looks great and provided a card to include with piece "not dishwasher safe" just in case that special piece has more applications of glaze than my cheaper piece.  Since the piece is something to put up on a shelf and will not be used daily like a tea cup it should work just fine.  Thanks again.