Author Topic: How do you get ink to dry faster?  (Read 2173 times)

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
How do you get ink to dry faster?
« on: November 27, 2014, 02:46:25 AM »
I'm wondering if there's a quiet contraption I can use to dry my inks quicker. I've considered heat guns, but they make some noise. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: How do you get ink to dry faster?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 05:59:58 AM »
Pray really hard ::) or maybe put the paper on your radiator. That's what I do, but sometimes the paper gets wonky.
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 07:59:29 AM »
Lol Natascha. :)

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 09:30:23 AM »
I use a little fan.  It's the kind that they use in nail salons in the US.  It doesn't put out too much air, so it doesn't blow my work around.  It really does help the ink to dry faster, though!

Janis

Offline mescalito2

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 03:25:37 PM »
there is something call gum arabic, I have no idea how to use it but I got it by mistake, I have never use it but I think is for that. If someone can enlighten me will be nice!   ???

Offline Inkysloth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 03:54:01 PM »
there is something call gum arabic, I have no idea how to use it but I got it by mistake, I have never use it but I think is for that. If someone can enlighten me will be nice!   ???

Gum arabic is a tree resin, and can be added to ink to make it a little thicker and more viscous. It also acts as a "glue" binding pigment to paper, so if you use thinned gouache, a little gum arabic (like, a dot from the back end of a paintbrush) added to the thinned paint means you can erase lines more easily without flaking or smudging, and the ink will stay on the page better.

It's not used for drying, as far as I know, but I'm happy to be corrected on this.

Gum Sandarac has been suggested to me to help with ink drying, but I don't know if this is true or if it's a bit of lettering folklore. What I was told was, it can be rubbed into the page before writing to give the paper resistance against feathering (if its absorbent paper), or sprinkled over the ink after writing to dry it out. Again, all corrections gratefully received. 

Offline colorsofchrist

• View Profile
    • Connie Chen
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 11:46:11 AM »
I'm wondering if there's a quiet contraption I can use to dry my inks quicker. I've considered heat guns, but they make some noise. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

I use a heat gun but you have to be very very careful. Sometimes you can get too concentrated and too close on a spot and the paper browns....>_<
IG: http://instagram.com/colorsofchrist || Website: http://connie-chen.com || Youtube Channel: conniechencalligraphy

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 02:24:08 PM »
Live in the desert. It works wonders for me!

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 03:34:04 PM »
I'm with Elsa - I wish ink doesn't dry SO FAST here in the California desert. Gouache dries up on my nib so fast that I have to clean after nearly every line  :-X