Author Topic: Preparing Your Nib Properly by Schin!  (Read 51285 times)

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
Re: Preparing Your Nib Properly by Schin!
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2015, 02:50:49 AM »
It would be an honor, but it's such outdated info! Yikes!

Nah it's all still true!  I'm not doing this class till July though so I'll check back in in case you update before then - but I wouldn't worry so much, it's still accurate info!

Offline rosana

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2015, 05:19:05 PM »
Thank you so much for the illustrations! i loved it - very clear and fun!

Offline aisyahwhy

• Freshman Member
  • Guide Me!
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2015, 03:54:40 AM »
wow! this is really helpful for a newbie like me. The illustrations make it easier for me to understand. Thank you so much for sharing this information :D
find me in social media 'aisyahwhy'

clangsdorf

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2015, 03:56:14 PM »
Thank you, Shin, for these sheets. Very nice summary of some basic technical information! Darling illustrations!

Offline lainey

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2015, 01:56:50 AM »
I prepped my nib BEFORE I joined his forum and saw this post.  :( I think I "cooked" my nib and there is now a discoloration at the tip. Does that mean it's better to replace it?

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2015, 03:09:37 AM »
Hello Lainey.  :)

I assume that you used a flame and the tip has turned either dark blue or brown?  That does indicate that the temper has been drawn, but you should certainly try it and see what you think.  The moral of the story, of course, is that it's wise to have a few nibs on hand rather than just the one.

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »
How come I missed this thread?
Amazing info, thanks Schin and everyone!

I assume that you used a flame and the tip has turned either dark blue or brown?  That does indicate that the temper has been drawn, but you should certainly try it and see what you think.

A couple of months ago, while battling with a Brause EF66 that did not want to cooperate, I put a flame to it, very briefly.  Yet it did turn dark blue or brown.

I put it aside and tried it again a couple of days ago to see if using magical thinking, it would cooperate.   :P   Of course, no.    Here's what I see:  the ink (in this case, watercolor) still "sticks" to the upper part of the nib but refuses to go down one millimeter where it would reach the paper (in fact this was the case before the potato and the toothpaste and the flame).

It would seem as though the metal is now resisting to let gravity pull the liquid downward.

So my question is:  it is one thing to remove the factory oil with a potato and it is another to destroy the nib with a flame.  Assuming the temper has been drawn, are there any other tricks to get the ink to flow in such an overflamed scenario?

This is a purely scientific experiment because I have given up on this EF66 (and besides I have about a dozen other faithful nibs for real work).  I welcome other creative ideas  :D  I might actually try dipping it in oil.  Or beer?  Usually that works miracles...  ;)

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2015, 06:02:55 PM »
... are there any other tricks to get the ink to flow in such an overflamed scenario?

Purely in the spirit of scientific enquiry, you might try ammonia.  It'll cause other appalling problems with feathering and bleeding, but it does tend to get things flowing!  :)

Offline RyanR

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2015, 07:47:36 AM »
Is the new consensus to prepare nibs with rubbing alcohol? I just relieved my first order of nibs today and wanted to read up here before I took flame to the nib (or other methods). I noticed Schin said that the info was "dated" and now uses alcohol. Do you drop the nib in a container filled with alcohol or use a wipe or drenched cloth to rub the nib? Thank you!

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2015, 10:27:04 AM »
Purely in the spirit of scientific enquiry, you might try ammonia.  It'll cause other appalling problems with feathering and bleeding, but it does tend to get things flowing!  :)
Thanks for the suggestion Andy.  I tried the ammonia (dip in Windex) and there was a slight improvement in the flow but after a few minutes, it was clear to me that I was wasting my time and gave up.

I also observed that the supple tines of the EF66 were not flexing back perfectly together and concluded the nib's bad behaviour might also be due to this weakness.  Anyway it's now making its way out to the great garbage can in the sky.    No big loss as I can get similar results with the Zebra and Nikko G's.

Regarding the ammonia trick, if you are facing a similar situation with the flow, I think it's worth trying it out.

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2015, 11:55:35 PM »
I was always taught (back in the dark ages) never to put a flame to a nib, but while the nib is new place it in your mouth and let the saliva do it's thing. With all the many nibs I have used over the years this has been the tried and true method. A flame can ruin a nib in short order, but NEVER use a butane lighter flame - it's hotter than a match - if you are not interested in keeping the nib go ahead and try the flame method. All you are trying to do is remove the factory oil on the nib. Be safe, not sorry! Use saliva, you won't taste the oil.

Harvey (penstaff)

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2015, 02:06:28 PM »
To be honest these days to clean a nib I just pop it in my mouth! If that doesn't do the trick, I then run it over some rubbing alcohol for a little bit. The nib is usually ready to go then.. no need for fire at all.
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2015, 04:53:03 PM »
To be honest these days to clean a nib I just pop it in my mouth!

Welcome to the club - it's the easiest way, isn't it?  Ironically, the only time I've ever had (brief) second thoughts about this was when you raised the possibility of swallowing a nib in one of your videos.  Just thought I'd pay that one back.  ;)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2015, 10:02:03 PM »
I won't raise the idea of heavy metals, toxic coatings, rat or cockroach poo, human (ahem) contamination from the person who packaged it, or ... on those nibs you are putting in your mouth. LOL! Oh wait, I just did!  ;D

I have always flamed my nib. And [shivers] I've used a butane lighter for the past 14 years. When someone a couple years back suggested I not use a flame, I tried the saliva method again (something I use from time to time). But I am an acidic person and believe it or not, my saliva makes a nib scratchy. (I know ... that can't be a good sign).  :o

Eric, when my Hiro 41s wouldn't work, an extremely quick dip in a tiny bit of PineSol did the trick. But if I went any longer than a quick in/out, it would destroy the nib. I figured it was worth the chance since they were unusable anyway.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2015, 04:16:47 AM »
Thank you for that, Erica.   :-\  I shall endeavour to set those charming mental images to one side...

... Hah!  Us devil-may-care adventurers laugh in the face of danger and tweak the nose of peril!  You see, forgotten already.  :)