Author Topic: Addressing Envelopes Best Practices  (Read 15653 times)

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Addressing Envelopes Best Practices
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 06:05:31 PM »
@Ellen:  When I have a longer line for the second line of the address, I reverse things. - I indent the first line about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.  Then, I move the second line to the left-hand side of the envelope.  I then indent the third line to exactly the same indention as line #1.  If there is a fourth line (like, "Unit C" or "Apartment 6109"), I move it to match the second line.  I hope that makes sense!  The staggered effect is usually esthetically pleasing to the eye. 

Janis

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 06:06:44 PM »
Jean, you're changing the way I do envelopes, thank you!! :) Any tip that gets me out of having to erase anything is a keeper!

In a couple weeks I will post a video that shows a template/guard sheet that gives you a guide to follow and you won't need any pencil lines at all. You might like it.

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 06:09:17 PM »
@Jean:  I can't wait!!

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 06:50:43 PM »
I agree with the stamp thing--I thought I would be smart once and put the stamp on first to make room for it, but then I left out a South in the address.  :( So now if I'm afraid if my calligraphy will encroach on the stamps, I pencil out room for them!!

I build it into my envelope template - I insert it in my envelope, and when I see the guidelines through my lightpad, it's a good reminder to leave room for a stamp.  :)

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 08:09:14 PM »
Jean, you're changing the way I do envelopes, thank you!! :) Any tip that gets me out of having to erase anything is a keeper!

In a couple weeks I will post a video that shows a template/guard sheet that gives you a guide to follow and you won't need any pencil lines at all. You might like it.

I would love to see this!

Offline mamabear

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 01:16:19 PM »
Jean, a template sheet sounds great! Can't wait!!

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 03:39:36 PM »
In college I worked at a frame shop, so we used "framers corners" to hold artwork/photographs in place behind a mat before framing.

I adapted my envelope sheets for my light box with guidelines that I design, print off and add the two framers corners at the bottom. I just slide in envelope and I can see the guidelines through the envelope with the back light. Plus, the paper at the bottom helps my hand not stick to the light box surface so I can glide and flourish without problems. I print on using card stock, so it's a cushion for my lettering.

You can find the "framers corners" at art stores, in the DIY framing section.

Offline Sarah Foutz

• Write on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 05:21:30 PM »
What a great idea, Amy!!!
Sarah Pearl Foutz
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You, too? I thought I was the only one!" C.S. Lewis
http://instagram.com/sarahpearlstudio

Offline arherbgm

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 08:11:42 PM »

Jean, this would be awesome, and generous!  Can't wait!  (Didn't miss it, did I?)

Arlen

clangsdorf

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 08:56:35 PM »
Love those framers corners.
I do prefer to slip in a heavy guideline sheet so that the bumps of the envelope do not cause problems.

Offline MeganUnderlined

• Esse quam videri.
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 08:07:56 AM »
Do all you seasoned envelope addressers make your own guidelines for slipping inside the envelope, or are you using purchased versions like those sold at John Neal? I just saw there is a set of 6 guidelines for only $4.95 on the website and am wondering if that is a good purchase or if it's just way to easy to make your own? Great thread and ideas here, by the way. Thank you all!
Calligraphy newbie and bibliophile, penning my (and your) favorite passages since December 2014

My Instagram

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 08:31:32 AM »
Amy, that is ingenious! Thanks for sharing.

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 11:07:54 AM »
Do all you seasoned envelope addressers make your own guidelines for slipping inside the envelope, or are you using purchased versions like those sold at John Neal? I just saw there is a set of 6 guidelines for only $4.95 on the website and am wondering if that is a good purchase or if it's just way to easy to make your own? Great thread and ideas here, by the way. Thank you all!

I make my own in Photoshop, or I use this calligraphy guideline generator http://shipbrook.net/guidelines/

Sometimes I get square envelopes, or larger envelopes, so I make them bigger, or smaller for return address, or RSVP.

But I am sure if you google "copperplate guidelines" you will get a few images.

clangsdorf

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 12:07:46 PM »

I have gotten to the point where I make inserts for each job. And here is why - I have gotten so many clients who have forgotten someone and a week later they need one or two more. I have a hard time remembering the specifics for a layout without my insert. BTW - I also keep a sample of an envelope in their client file with any helpful info to myself, like what nib and ink I used. I make my own for each job based on the envelope size, lettering style and their list. I have several masters that I enlarge or reduce based on layout. Any short cuts you can come up with will help!

Offline risharoll

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2015, 11:05:11 PM »
I also saw this template online: http://www.thelettermate.com/

But I don't know if I would feel too confined while using it. Maybe it would be good for easy lines..

I have a lettermate! It's a bit tedious having to erase all the lines, but i currently don't have a light pad. i normally trace the boxes on my envelope and just use it as a guide, not necessarily keeping my letters confined to the height of the box.