Author Topic: San Francisco Pen Show 2015  (Read 3876 times)

Offline garyn

• View Profile
San Francisco Pen Show 2015
« on: May 03, 2015, 06:27:12 PM »
The San Francisco Pen Show is back for 2015.

It will be in the same place, the Sofitel Hotel in Redwood City.
August 28,29,30 (Fri thru Sun).  Fri will be traders only.  Sat & Sun will be open to the public.

Michael Sull will be teaching 2 classes on Friday.  The morning class will be American Cursive and the afternoon class will be Spencerian.  There is a 20 person limit to each of the classes.

https://www.facebook.com/sfpenshow

I will be at the registration desk most of the time.  Stop by and say hi.
Gary
Gary

Offline garyn

• View Profile
Re: San Francisco Pen Show 2015
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 12:08:13 AM »
Update
Here is the web site for the SF Pen Show, with more details.

http://sfpenshow.com/SFPENSHOW/Home.html
Gary

Offline chantellehoffmann

• View Profile
    • Bespoke Strokes Calligraphy
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 12:42:02 AM »
Thanks for sharing Gary! I live soon close to Redwood city & would love to attend. Unfortunately I'll be out of town that weekend, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for next year :)

Chantelle Hoffmann
Instagram: @bespokestrokes Web:BespokeStrokes.com Facebook: FB

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 04:09:29 PM »
Chantelle
The 2016 show should be about the same time, end of August.
Gary

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 08:46:54 PM »
The SF Pen Show is in 2 weeks.
Anyone going?
I'll probably be at the registration desk or my vendor table, drop by and say hi.
Gary

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 11:40:09 PM »
I'm hoping to go but we just got invited to a kids birthday party for the morning of the 30th.  At a bouncy house place.  I'd rather have all my fingernails pulled out, but I have to attend.  Hopefully, I will still have some spirit left in me for the afternoon because I originally proposed a FF meetup in the afternoon on the 30th!
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 12:36:34 AM »
Elisabeth,
You can come on Sat the 29th.
Gary

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 03:38:11 PM »
I probably will come on the 29th, but there is a seminar with Michael Sull listed for the 30th, which I have not seen any registration information about so I assume it is open admission.  The birthday party ends at 12:30 on the 30th, though, and the seminar starts at noon.  :(
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 04:39:00 PM »
Could someone please explain the purpose behind the 'traders only' day? I mean is so that traders can simply shift wares from one dealer to another? If so, I don't understand the purpose of this. Unless thee term 'trader' in this context does not refer only to dealers. Please illuminate.

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 01:16:38 AM »
@elisabeth
- I don't know what Micheal's seminar on Sat afternoon 330-430 will be about.  I need to ask the guys.  That is open to all.
- Deborah Basel will also be giving 2 tuition seminars; a shorter 2 hr American Cursive (Sat 130-330), and a 2 hr italic (Sun 11-1).   Both are $40, paid at the registration desk.  I think there is a 20 seat limit on both of her classes.
- All other seminars are open to all.

A problem is that the seminars are still moving.  They have added seminars, such as Deborah Basel's, and moved others around.
I will talk to the guys about getting an up to date seminar schedule up on the web site.
The current seminar schedule will be posted in the show lobby.  I know that does not help those planning what day to go.

@cryptos
Yes there are dealers buying from other dealers.  I've seen that in many other hobby shows that I've gone to.

To me, the term "trader" seems to apply to "serious" pen folks who want first crack at what the dealers are selling.  So if you were seriously looking for a particular pen or pens, you would buy a trader pass, so you got to check the dealers out on Friday, before the general public who enter on Sat/Sun.  Heck if you were serious, you would be there when the door open, because the guy in front of you might be looking for the same pen you are looking for.  It's the old saying "early bird gets the worm."

Traders can also bring their own pens to trade/sell with others.  Last year the traders could use a half table that wasn't occupied by a vendor, on Friday.  Or trade/sell on one of the round trading tables.

Some traders are selling entire collections of pens.  And these pens may just be in a briefcase or pen case, and shown to just a few other people, who would buy entire collections.

Other hobbies have similar arrangements.  In my bird hobby, the local bird shows have an extra charge, 1 hour early admission.  And when I was looking for certain birds to breed, I would buy the early admission, cuz I wanted first crack at the birds to get what I want.  Sometimes it worked out, sometimes not.  But for me as a breeder, I really did not want to see someone else leave with the bird that I wanted.  And like pens, some of the birds are in limited supply.

But for a new pen person, I would recommend the weekend general public days, and skip the trader day.
Then next year, they can decide if they want to "go for it" and do the trader bit.
Gary

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 10:42:14 PM »
Found an updated Pen show schedule on this thread:  http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/290104-san-francisco-pen-show-2015-update/page-5

I'm going to be going on Sat. and am hoping to see Michael Sull's seminar on "the story of American Penmanship" which is at 3:30.  I'm not going to be able to go on Sunday due to a schedule conflict.

I'd still love to meet any FF peeps who might be going, so is there anyone interested in going to lunch together?  We could meet at the ink testing station at 1:00.

Instagram

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 02:55:26 PM »
Micheal Sull is amazing. 
I attended his Spencerian class.
I was following him as he went through the lower case letters, but he lost me real fast when he started on the upper case letters.  He made it look so effortless.

Elisabeth, sorry I could not meet.  I got sick, so was in poor shape.
Gary