Author Topic: Confused on what class to take  (Read 910 times)

Offline garyn

• View Profile
Confused on what class to take
« on: May 10, 2015, 03:16:01 AM »
I need some advice from those that know the subject, please.
At the SF Pen Show, Michael Sull is teaching 2 classes, American Penmanship and Spencerian.
I'm totally at a loss on which class to take, or even if I should be looking at Copperplate instead.
I was told that for the Spencerian class, we are to bring our own oblique holder, vs the American Penmanship class where I think we bring any pen.
I'm a novice novice, and all of my dip pen writing has been basically Palmer style, but using a Nikko G in an oblique holder, to get the flex in the downstroke.  So really nothing fancy, I just enjoy writing with a dip pen.

thanks

ps, I can't take both classes, as I have to run the registration table also.
Gary

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
Re: Confused on what class to take
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 09:53:39 AM »
Spencerian I know, but what style is American Penmanship?  I wonder if it might be similar to Palmer.  Guess it depends if you want to improve what you already know or learn something new.  I would go with Spencerian!

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 11:16:28 AM »
I suspect that Ellen's on the right lines, going by Mr Sull's "American Cursive Handwriting" project.  I haven't seen the book, mind you, but did watch an interview in which he explained that the general thrust was along Palmerish lines, and an oblique penholder was definitely not a requirement.  In fact, having watched it again just now, I think it will tell you exactly what to expect.  ;)

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 11:33:26 PM »
Hmm my guess is that the Spencerian class would be based on this book of his: http://www.johnnealbooks.com/fullsize/164/s
Where it's got the thick and thins using a nib and more 'calligraphic' like...

The American penmanship class is based off this book of his: http://www.johnnealbooks.com/fullsize/3024/s
You can see it's more handwriting-ish and more linear. That's probably why he says you can bring any pen, cos it doesn't do the thick/thins.
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 06:15:53 PM »
Thanks guys.
I think I will do the Spencerian class.
I "think" I have the normal handwriting part OK.  Well at least it is much more readable than it used to be.
Gary