Author Topic: What firm-flex (semi-flex) nibs do you like to use?  (Read 2260 times)

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
What firm-flex (semi-flex) nibs do you like to use?
« on: September 21, 2015, 04:38:42 PM »
Here are a few that I have at work that I like. These are all Esterbrooks. I used HP Premium Laser as the paper, but it couldn't handle the wetter pens at the bottom of the list very well. The nibs are roughly in reverse order of flexiness.

What are your favorites?
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
Re: What firm-flex (semi-flex) nibs do you like to use?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 05:15:19 PM »
Whenever I want something less flexy I use the Nikko or Zebra G... my favs!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 05:21:49 PM »
Whenever I want something less flexy I use the Nikko or Zebra G... my favs!

Same....

Great post AAAndrew. Thanks for taking the time to share!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 05:47:37 PM »
I like the good old McNiven & Cameron Waverley, surely one of the commonest vintage nibs of all.  Very easy to get along with.

I can also recommend these, especially at the price.  There are loads of different points along those lines, like the Brandauer Review Pen, the Hinks Wells Shoulder Pen or the Perry Saxon for instance, all of which seem to be good.  The only trouble is that they're huge, so it's a case of using a straight holder, making an oblique with an extra long flange to suit, or cutting down the nib.

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 08:23:14 PM »
I like the good old McNiven & Cameron Waverley, surely one of the commonest vintage nibs of all.  Very easy to get along with.

I can also recommend these, especially at the price.  There are loads of different points along those lines, like the Brandauer Review Pen, the Hinks Wells Shoulder Pen or the Perry Saxon for instance, all of which seem to be good.  The only trouble is that they're huge, so it's a case of using a straight holder, making an oblique with an extra long flange to suit, or cutting down the nib.

I found the Waverley's a bit finicky with paper and ink. Or maybe it was just me. I have a few, I'll go back and give them another try. Maybe I know a thing or two more about preparing a nib. "Flame on! (just kidding)

Those nibs you linked to look great. They remind me of another of my favorites which I didn't have at work, the Esterbrook Bank Pen (#14). Big honkin' thing with just a nice amount of mild flex and very durable.

Now I'll have to get my Nikko G and do a comparison.

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 02:02:25 PM »
With just a quick comparison, I found the Zebra G to be somewhere in between the 048 Falcon and the Natural Slant. I have to admit, I was surprised. It has been a while since I've used the Zebra, but I somehow remembered it to be more flexible. And it's more flexible than the Nikko G.  And I've had individual examples of the 048 Falcon that were more flexible than the one I was using in this comparison. But some don't like the huge nib. And it is a big one. Holds a ton of ink but rather awkward to use in an oblique holder. It can be done, but it's long.

Offline Matthew_R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 07:58:09 PM »
Tachikawa 'G' is my favorite.  Smooth on both downstrokes and upstrokes, and consistent flow.  Plus, the hairlines can be pretty fine.

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 02:01:23 PM »
I also am a Tachikawa G fan - a new convert, actually.  I was Zebra G all the way until I met my first Tachikawa.  It's much easier to get squared off tops and bottoms with this one.  I still have a Leonardt G around here somewhere that I still need to try, but I'm going to enjoy my newest "G" love for a while first.

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 11:55:08 AM »
I love a good semi-flex! I like tachikawa and Nikko g nibs. Also hiro 111 EF. For vintage nibs henry 605 is fabulous as well as Perry 120 EF.