Author Topic: Ultrasonic cleaners  (Read 2865 times)

Offline Susan C

• View Profile
    • Susan M. Carter Photography
Ultrasonic cleaners
« on: May 19, 2016, 09:27:03 AM »
I know this is a really basic question but are you just using the jewelry cleaners that can be found on Amazon for about $30? If so, do you use the detergents that come with them or just tap water? If just tap water, does it matter that I have acidic well water that includes whatever stuff comes up out of the ground? I'm having a lot of trouble with uneven ink flow from my Rotring Artpens and wonder if I'm not getting the nibs clean enough just rinsing in the sink.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Ultrasonic cleaners
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 10:35:02 AM »
I know this is a really basic question but are you just using the jewelry cleaners that can be found on Amazon for about $30?
Yes, although mine cost a little more.
If so, do you use the detergents that come with them or just tap water?
I use Windex with ammonia plus a little tap water.

If just tap water, does it matter that I have acidic well water that includes whatever stuff comes up out of the ground?
Interesting question. Windex  is a basic solution (pH greater than 7, around 12 I think), as are many detergents. Adding acidic water to detergents would make the solution less basic, and perhaps, less of an effective cleaning agent. A simple trial of using distilled water plus detergent instead of well water might yield the answer.
I'm having a lot of trouble with uneven ink flow from my Rotring Artpens and wonder if I'm not getting the nibs clean enough just rinsing in the sink.
That may be the case. Did you have flow problems when the pens were new?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 10:36:39 AM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Susan C

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 01:20:29 PM »
That may be the case. Did you have flow problems when the pens were new?
The one I'm particularly having trouble with is the 1.1. When I got it, I used a Rotring cartridge and it was fine. When that ran out I filled the cartridge with Sailor Nano Kiwa-guro ink. I can't remember if I got through a cartridge or two before the problem started or if it happened on the first one. I cleaned the nib under the tap and let it dry for a few days, then tried filling a cartridge with Noodler's Black Waterproof fountain pen ink. I'm not really sure how that flowed because the color was so anemic I dumped it, and cleaned again. I went back to a new Rotring cartridge but am having the same trouble. Sometimes I can write for a few lines or even a paragraph, then it suddenly starts pouring ink. If I put it away for a couple of hours and try again, usually it is OK for a while. I had tried using the Rotring converter with the 1.5 but was never able to get it to work properly - either it was so dry I had to turn the screw and force the ink down or it would surge. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. :-[ New Rotring cartridges seem to keep the 1.5 happy although I would like to use other inks. 

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 03:36:14 PM »
Clean the converter well.  A cup of water + 2 drops of dishwashing detergent.  Run it through the converter maybe 6 times.  Then follow up with clean water another 6 times.

Next clean the pen.  Go to a drug store and get a bulb syringe.  In the baby supplies area.  The bulb syringe forces more water thru the pen, so is good for cleaning cartridge/converter pens.  Using the same mix above, fill the bulb and stick it into the back of the section, squeeze and let the water/ink drain into the sink/bucket.  Do this a few times, followed up by several times with CLEAN water.
Just holding the section under the tap does not have enough water pressure to clean the ink channel of ink.

All inks are not equal.
Some inks can be too wet for the pen.  I don't know about Sailor, but the few Noodlers inks that I tried ranged from wet to VERY wet.
And some inks can be too dry for the pen.
Without adjusting the nib to the ink, you are left with finding the ink that will flow at a desired rate thru the pen.
Gary

Offline Susan C

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 07:51:08 PM »
I will try that. Thank you!

Is there any place that lists ink characteristics or is it just trial and error?

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 10:09:54 PM »
Trial and error.

Some Noodlers are VERY wet.  My experience is that Noodler's is wetter than Waterman, but there are so many different Noodler's inks with different characteristics that one cannot say anything global about the inks.

Waterman is considered wet.
Parker Quink is wetter than Pelikan.
Pelikan 4001 is considered dry.

The old Cross bottle ink is/was made by Pelikan, but their cartridge ink is made by someone else.  I don't know who makes the new line of Cross bottle inks.

My 2 reference inks are Waterman and Pelikan.  I reference my other inks from these 2 inks.
Gary

Offline Inkysloth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 02:38:06 AM »
If your Rotring pen still doesn't behave, you can pull the whole nib & feed out of the section. They're pressure fit, and pop back in with no problems.

Offline Susan C

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 07:45:32 AM »
I had a regular syringe so I used that to push first soapy, then clean water through the nib. The first squirt shot out inky water so clearly my previous cleaning wasn't adequate. I'm letting it dry thoroughly before trying again.

If your Rotring pen still doesn't behave, you can pull the whole nib & feed out of the section. They're pressure fit, and pop back in with no problems.

OK, this is a little scary but if the pen won't work properly, I haven't got much to lose.

Thank you, garyn, AnasaziWrites and Inkysloth for the suggestions.

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 03:46:50 PM »
this is how to use a bulb syringe
Gary

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 05:38:11 PM »
this is how to use a bulb syringe
Very informative. Thank you.

Offline Susan C

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 08:10:53 AM »
Great info, thanks!

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 08:44:31 AM »
I use a small, inexpensive jewelery cleaner for my fountain pens. The one thing I would recomend, is to get one with the controls on the main body, not the lid. From speaking to other fountain pen users, the ones with the controls in the lid have very fine wires running through the hinges to the controls. Because of opening and closing the lid, the wires tend to break very easily due to stress.
Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

Offline Susan C

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 12:29:00 PM »
I use a small, inexpensive jewelery cleaner for my fountain pens. The one thing I would recomend, is to get one with the controls on the main body, not the lid. From speaking to other fountain pen users, the ones with the controls in the lid have very fine wires running through the hinges to the controls. Because of opening and closing the lid, the wires tend to break very easily due to stress.

That would never have occurred to me. Thanks!

Offline KrzysiekS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 02:50:47 PM »
Few things about using UltraSonic Cleaner:

• Evacuate air from pen's feed before turning USC on, for example get section into bath and suck water into it with converter, then unplug converter without taking your pen out of water.
  • Small elements like for example o-ring seals can be dislodged by USC, do not pour out dirty water directly to sink without ensuring nothing is missing.
  • USC will strip any lubricant from converter, o-ring seal on piston will become dry and will stuck or crumble in time. If you decide to clean converter, re-lubricate inside wall with tinniest amount of silicon grease on top of toothpick.
  • Utilitarian pens with steel nibs are sturdy enough to be cleaned without those plastic baskets

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 05:02:27 PM »
Few things about using UltraSonic Cleaner:

• Evacuate air from pen's feed before turning USC on, for example get section into bath and suck water into it with converter, then unplug converter without taking your pen out of water.
  • Small elements like for example o-ring seals can be dislodged by USC, do not pour out dirty water directly to sink without ensuring nothing is missing.
  • USC will strip any lubricant from converter, o-ring seal on piston will become dry and will stuck or crumble in time. If you decide to clean converter, re-lubricate inside wall with tinniest amount of silicon grease on top of toothpick.
  • Utilitarian pens with steel nibs are sturdy enough to be cleaned without those plastic baskets

For #2 - I would get an old/cheap kitchen strainer.
Then pour into a small bucket first.  This gives you a first chance of saving something, if it falls off the pen.  Been there, done that, many times.
Put a sink drain strainer on your sink that you are working over.  This is your last chance to catch something that fell off your pen, before it goes down the drain.

Also work on a cookie/baking tray with raised sides.  To contain any spills and keep things from rolling off the table/counter.
Gary