Author Topic: How do you make a custom calligraphy stamp  (Read 14149 times)

Offline Nice Plume

• View Profile
    • Nice Plume
How do you make a custom calligraphy stamp
« on: November 18, 2013, 07:46:48 AM »
Erica, I can't wait the pleasure to follow your tutorials !!!!!!! I don't think it's the right place for that, (anyway it's still with pointed pen  ;) I would like to learn how to make stamp with Custom Calligraphy ...so tutorial or advices are truly welcome !
Thanks -Nora

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
Re: How do you make a custom calligraphy stamp
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 09:41:04 PM »
Hi Nora,
Me too, I've been wondering how to make one.

Love,
Roseann
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 09:45:51 AM »
It's been some time since I had one of these made. But thankfully, there are even more great suppliers and better prices than when I was doing this years ago!

Please note, I have not used either of these companies for stamps yet, but I found them with a quick google search. I will have one made and do a video when it arrives! FUN project!

http://www.overnightprints.com/rubberstamps- Overnightprints is a company I have used in the past for photo printing. Their customer service is good. This is for a large self-inking stamp for $14.05. Self-inking is good if you only want to stamp in black for like a return address.

http://www.rubberstampchamp.com/custom.aspx?id=30 Rubberstampchamp.com allows you to make a custom rubber stamp with a handle in a huge range of sizes. They even have round sizes! And they customize with your artwork at no extra charge. Their prices are great - averaging around $15. They also offer free shipping on orders over $10.

You would prepare your artwork like I demonstrated in the "Preparing your calligraphy for printing" tutorial. Then upload it to the site.

I hope that is helpful and if anyone has used a different vendor or has feedback on one of these, please let us know!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 10:24:08 AM »
Thank you Erica!
Love,
Roseann
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline wtienken

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 02:35:33 PM »
I actually sell rubber stamps in my shop on Etsy.  They aren't calligraphy stamps, but nice fonts.  I use simonstamp.com.  They have good pricing (especially wholesale) and great customer service.  I've never had any complaints, and all my customers seem to really like them.  I send them files in .bmp format, but I create everything in Illustrator.

Erica, do you ever vectorize your calligraphy?  I know there are some tutorials out there, but I still have a hard time with mine.

Wendy

Offline Nice Plume

• View Profile
    • Nice Plume
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 04:38:22 PM »
Thanks à lot Erika, it's very helpfull indeed !!! But, I have seen on calligraphers' sites, kind of stamps a bit differents (www.paperfinger.com, for example). Do you think she order on stamps site, or  does she makes it entirely With a special material, maybe ? I would like to create some stamps on clients' request with my calligraphies and illustrations... Thanks, thanks, thanks a lot :-* Nora

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 05:27:55 PM »
Thank you for sharing Wendy! That looks like a GREAT source! UGH ... vectorization - the bane of my existence. I have not yet learned Illustrator. I have tried several times over the past few years. I signed up for Laura Coyle's class. Took a class on skillshare. I just can't do it! Which makes me crazy because I find Photoshop so easy and intuitive and I have extensive computer experience so I don't know why I can't get it. Darn those Bezier curves!  :o

It's on my bucket list for sure! I promised myself 2014 will be my year to learn Illustrator!!!

Nora, the site Wendy shared has that kind of stamp. It is a rubberstamp with wooden handle. The rubberstampchamp site has them, too. It looks like paperfinger used a clear label on top of the wooden stamp (under the handle). CUTE!

Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Nice Plume

• View Profile
    • Nice Plume
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 06:28:37 PM »
MANY  thanks Wendy and Erica, I Will explore the website  :)

Offline wtienken

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 09:29:31 PM »
Any time, Nora!

Erica, I totally get it!  I used to be more comfortable in PS (I used to shoot professionally).  Do you use your mouse or a wacom tablet?  I ask because I pretty much credit Laura's classes for my knowledge, so you're definitely using a good resource (in my opinion).  I use a wacom tablet and can't even imagine doing Illustrator with a mouse.  We will both have to learn how to vectorize our calligraphy together in 2014 :)

W.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 12:12:40 AM »
Sounds like a plan! I was a professional photographer for 10+ years, too!  ;D I've had a Wacom tablet for about 13 years. I couldn't function without it! I'm glad to hear Laura's class was good. I've done some Lynda.com ones too which are great. OK - we're on for Illustrator in 2014!   ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 02:39:39 AM »
Illustrator is a bear - the bezier tool takes some time to master. I don't have a pro photography background but I learned photoshop & illustrator in school and worked as a graphic designer for about 15 yrs. I'm crazy but I use my mouse. I really should get a Wacom tablet!

For stamps, I scan at b&w only, at 1200 dpi and you kind of have to play around with the threshold.  I've used Vista Print and Simon and clients seem to like them. Now is a great time for the stamps because of the holidays! :)

Offline Emily

• View Profile
    • Emily V Fitzpatrick Designs
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »
Linda, I'm a graphic designer as well, and I totally use my mouse for Illustrator, especially for those bezier curves.  :)  But I've just recently purchased an Intuos 5 tablet, and it's great! It even has a separate stylus you can buy with calligraphy attachments - would love to try those!

Thanks so much for all these stamp tips! I want to start an Etsy shop eventually, and it's one of the things I wanted to offer, but had no idea where to start...  ???
instagram  •  website  •  facebook

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• yogini, calligraphiste*
    • View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 12:55:37 AM »
Hey Nora,

When I get home from work tonight, I'll post some pics of a rubber stamp save-the-date that I did in 2012!  I did send away to Simon Stamps in the US to make it.  Not from lack of trying to deal with a French company!! No one answered their emails...   ::)  Hopefully you'll find somebody local...

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• yogini, calligraphiste*
    • View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 11:04:37 AM »
The nice thing is that Simon Stamps will let you send a photoshop file, they don't need a vector!  This one was stamped with embossing powder so the lettering is raised.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 02:09:34 PM »
Oh Joy! This is sooooo beautiful! I hope you don't mind, I resized to share. I am working on a tutorial for that!  :D

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 02:13:41 PM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram