Author Topic: Question about fitting nibs to holders  (Read 2303 times)

Offline schun

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Question about fitting nibs to holders
« on: June 06, 2017, 12:51:07 AM »
Hello everyone!

I have a question about how many different obliques some of you own to fit the various nibs you like to use.

I'm a rank beginner, and I've invested in an oblique holder fitted for a Nikko G (which also works with a Hunt 101 or Hunt 22b) and another fitted for a Brause EF66.

For fun, I picked up a tiny Easterbrook 354 nib, thinking it would fit in my Brause holder - nope! It's even tinier than the EF66!

So now I worry - with the wide variety of nibs out there, how many different holders does one need? Are there as many sizes of flanges as there are nibs? Is there any standardization at all for flange sizes???

Your insight would be appreciated!

Offline garyn

• View Profile
Re: Question about fitting nibs to holders
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 05:10:21 PM »
I "think" there are 4 sizes for most nibs.  If you go to John Neil's web site, you can see what nibs fit the same size holders.  They sell pre-sized oblique holders.

The 354 is a crow quill.  Yes a very small nib that needs yet it's own sized holder.
I do not remember, but I think one of the Paper Ink Arts oblqiue can fit a regular nib and a crow quill.  I think it is this one.
http://www.paperinkarts.com/hourgl.html
I have that holder but have not tried to use a crow quill nib in it.
Gary

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 01:09:33 PM »
Get a pair of needle nose pliers, or one of Yoke's flange pliers and adjust the flange accordingly to fit all kinds of nibs. All you need to do is clip the underside of the flange so the nib stays nice and secure.

The smaller crow quill nibs will be tricky, but if you really like it you may need to get a separate holder for smaller nibs.. or keep fixing the flange..
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline schun

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 09:37:24 AM »
Thanks for the info @garyn - I'm going to check out the John Neal website.

@schin , would you recommend the round nose or the flat nose pliers? Or do you recommend I have both in my toolkit? (also, I'm a bit starstruck having you reply to my question...been stalking you on Youtube, IG and the FF... ;D)

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 10:27:29 AM »
I also sometimes adjust the nib to a holder … wrap a tiny bit of washi tape around it, if it's too lose in a holder. Does not work if the nib is too big for the flange, of course ;).
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Tales from the Nib

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 04:17:08 PM »
I used to have a series of inexpensive holders and alter the flange to fit certain nibs, but then after working on which nibs I liked to use, I had a couple of adjustable, and bullock flanges and that solved my problems  :)

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 06:53:10 PM »
On the subject of crowquills, it's particularly easy to make a flange to take them because the business end is just a rolled tube formed around a suitable rod or an old nib.  How tightly it grips can be adjusted by a gentle squeeze with pliers.  The stick and how to fix the flange to it may present more problems, but a little modeller's saw, some epoxy glue and a bit of lateral thinking should sort them out.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 05:19:58 PM »
Wrapping washi tape around a nib is a genius idea.. thanks Estefa!!!
AndyT has the right idea too.
As for which pliers.. why not both? Personally I only use a round nose pliers.. but if you can get the flat for cheap.. why not.. good luck!!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline schun

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 04:04:07 PM »
Thanks for the tips everyone! Some very creative solutions here that would never have occured to me  ;D

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 05:54:08 PM »
Just to say that you only really need the round pliers - the flat ones are useful for shaping the flange before it's fitted to the pen, but are pretty useless afterwards  ;)
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram