Author Topic: Hello from Northern Calif, SF Bay Area  (Read 1343 times)

Offline garyn

• View Profile
Hello from Northern Calif, SF Bay Area
« on: April 08, 2014, 09:59:23 PM »
I'm just getting into using dip pens.
I am looking forward to doing italic calligraphy using a cartridge calligraphy pen. I'm taking the easy way to start, then move over to a dip pen.

Right now I am trying to get a handle on using a dip pen for general writing, not calligraphy.  I've been using a straight holder, and have an oblique holder that I hope will arrive this week.  Man compared to a fountain pen, a dip pen is HARD to use, especially the pointed tip pens.  I can write and sign my name using an Eagle 830 bowl pen, but I CANNOT even write my name using any of my pointed pens.  The problem is controling the tip from scratching or digging into the paper.  Long learning curve ahead of me.
Gary

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
Re: Hello from Northern Calif, SF Bay Area
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 11:44:34 PM »
Hi Gary!
Welcome! Yes, it does take some practice to get a feel for the pressure and release of a dip pen (too much pressure can cause digs and splats). And then you have to think about how frequently to dip in the ink so you don't run out mid-letter. Then wiping your pen in between words. But once you get the hang of it, you start to develop a rhythm.

Even though you aren't learning calligraphy (yet), you may want to start off with just doing some warm up lines with the dip pen before trying to actually write with it. Then you can get a sense of how much or how little pressure to apply, how the pen flows, etc.

I wish you the best of luck on this new venture. You'll be writing with it in no time!  :)
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 11:50:15 AM »
Welcome, Garyn! If your goal is "normal" writing with a dip pen, maybe the pointed nibs you have are just too pointed and too flexible? There are a number of nibs meant to be used for more everyday writing, like the Brause Cito fein they are not really pointed but a little bit round at the tip, more like a fountain pen. That works just fine with a straight holder, because no flexing is used normally.
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 02:07:03 PM »
Hello Garyn,

Also check out modifying the angle at which the nib hits the paper.  This can be adjusted in the oblique holders with the metal flange.  Making this angle shallower helped me out quite a bit with the paper snags on the upstrokes.  That and using very smooth paper, like the Clairefontaine.

Ellen

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »
Estefa
You are correct.
I normally is a bowl pen/nib (Eagle 830) or a stub (Esterbrook 48 Falcon) for general writing.
It is when I am "trying" to use the pointed pens/nibs that I have trouble.  I was trying to use the pointed nibs for general writing, so I could get more ink time with them, to learn how to use them.  But I guess that is not quite the case.  I may have to dedicate separate writing practice for the pointed pens/nibs.

Ellen,
I have a couple oblique holders in-bound, one with a metal flange which I am pretty sure can be adjusted to put the pen/nib at a lower angle.  I anxiously awaiting the box to arrive.  I also agree about the paper, I need to change to a smoother paper.
Gary

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 02:12:12 PM »
ARGH
My Adjustable Oblique Holder is still on backorder at P&IA.
Apparently there is only one person making them for P&IA, and he must have a backlog of orders, or he is on a break.
So until then, I am stuck with a straight holder.
Gary