Author Topic: Envelope Organization...ideas?  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Elizabeth O.

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Oxenfeld
Envelope Organization...ideas?
« on: June 21, 2019, 10:32:39 AM »
Hi lovely people!

I have an issue.  My blank envelope drawer floweth over!  And, every time I try to organize it, I start out with neat stacks...that end up blending with one another when I open and close the drawer.

Does anyone have an organization system that works for these?  I feel a little crazy for holding on to so many blank envelopes!
All my best -- Elizabeth O.

Website | Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Envelope Organization...ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 12:06:00 PM »
Looks familiar!  ;D I use ziplock bags. I try to categorize by size. But keeping them in the bags, I can let the air out so they stay flat. I then put them in a bin labeled envelopes. I use them all the time.  ;)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 12:35:16 PM »
Holy smokes, I thought I was looking at a photo of my own set of drawers! Too funny.  I actually keep a box or two for each size - A7, A6, A2 - but still, I have this drawer for the truly miscellaneous. 

Offline Elizabeth O.

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Oxenfeld
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 01:55:41 PM »
I am glad I'm not the only one!!  ;D

I was originally thinking boxes!  I probably have more A7's than anything else.  And then I've definitely got the miscellaneous mish-mash of the 5ish extras I keep from envelope jobs...#10's are huge in Charlotte right now!

I will have to try the ziplock bag idea...and maybe if I can suck most of the air out, I'll be able to get more envelopes in my drawer!  That sounds like a win to me!

Thanks friends!!!  It's always nice to hear how others tackle organization probs!

Website | Instagram

Offline KristinT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 10:53:53 PM »
I have most of mine in old stationery set boxes, which are a great size for keeping miscellaneous envelopes together, but still fits within drawers well.  Short of those, my first thought was to just use some ribbon to tie bundles together.  Rubber bands are tempting to suggest, but the way they dry out and fall apart or snap is pretty unappealing.  You could use binder clips, but they might scar the envelopes.  So... ribbon or string seems like a pretty straightforward and cheap solution. 

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 10:53:09 AM »
I use zip lock bags, like @Erica McPhee.  I label the zip lock bags with a Sharpee marker, so that I know at a glance what size is in the bags.

Janis

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 11:15:04 AM »
There was a time when I used plastic bags - but I switched to strips of paper.
The strips of paper are about an inch wide - and I wrap them around leftovers that are all the same size and brand.
A small piece of tape will hold the band and is adjustable as I use the leftovers.
I write in pencil, on the paper, quantity, brand, and size
If I do not know the brand, I write either *nice* or *cheap* so I know at a glance

example:
13 Paper Source A7
or
15 cheap A6

I have drawers that are deep enough to have all of them standing up, and they are arranged by size.
I write the identifying info on the top edge that I can see when the drawer is open.
I bundle (by size) low quantity leftovers - with a gold elastic band (like you find on some gift boxes) they last longer than rubber bands
I have a gazillion stretchy bands from envelope jobs.
I think you can buy stretchy cord in spools at craft stores.
It's the same as tying with a ribbon - only stretchy.

If your drawers are shallow - and the envelopes will be stacked flat and slide around, the paper strips will hold them together nicely - and it should be easy to find what you need.
It is easy to slip out one envelope and if you only use one, you don't have to tighten the band. If you use a few - it is easy to just adjust the paper strip with the tape.

When I have more than 25 or 30 of one kind - I leave them in envelope boxes - that are on a shelf - labeled (on the outside) so I can see at a glance what's available.
On those, I add the color of the envelope so I don't have to get the box out and look.
Some of those boxes are the full 250 - others may have 2 or 3 different kinds -
as long as I take time to write the size, color and brand - it makes it easy to review what I have on hand

The paper bands are minimalist - and I can pack a lot more envelopes into a given space - and it's easy to grab what I'm after.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 02:16:40 PM by jeanwilson »

Offline Elizabeth O.

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Oxenfeld
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 01:05:16 PM »
Labeled paper strips sounds like an awesome idea!!!  I think I'm going to store all my new envelope acquisitions that way...makes good sense!  I will probably store everything else that I don't really know where it came from in ziplock baggies by size.

I wish I could store vertically...there's a piece of furniture at an antique mall near me that I would LOVE to buy that would let me store vertically...just five house portraits, and it could be mineeee!  (Oh boy...haha!)

Thank you, everyone, for your expertise!!!  I'm loving all of these awesome ideas and methods!

Website | Instagram