Author Topic: Day 16 - 2022: FOWL  (Read 529 times)

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
Day 16 - 2022: FOWL
« on: October 16, 2022, 01:01:22 AM »
Halfway through Inktober - congratulations, all!

Moisture content in sand, like in ink is important … as is keeping writing tools away from dogs.  Beach dog found a new toy in my writing stick and would not return it!

Having some fun and challenges playing with new capitals.  I have no illusions here, but @Lucie Y turned me on to Paul Antonio’s “angular confinement” which I believe will help a lot, once I get around to making some special guideline sheets. For now, I'm just happy to get some familiarity with the capitals and playing with the new ideas and shapes.  Seems like a good beginning -- everyone starts somewhere.
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Day 16 - 2022: FOWL
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 01:30:40 AM »
Beautiful Sandserian and Ink! Love those capital F’s. I bet there is a real benefit to whole body movement with writing in the sand let alone whole arm movement!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 03:14:37 PM »
Beautiful examples above.

Zivio - If the dog still has your writing instrument, I hope said dog practices his/her Sandserian regularly.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 03:31:25 PM »
pencil
script:  Chicken Scratch

Any guesses?

(click image to enlarge--you may have to)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 03:33:43 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 04:56:50 PM »

Any guesses?

(click image to enlarge--you may have to)

Julia?
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 07:05:40 PM »
@AnasaziWrites - I concur with @Zivio "Julia" as in "Julia Child" to whom all Americans owe a debt of roast chicken.
* Glad the sumi on broad edge is working out well for you.  Yes - try a few drops of water to thin out the old stuff.  Or open a new bottle.  It's not very expensive, but it does dry out fast.  It sounds like you might have Kuretake?  It's a good starter sumi, but my preferred sumi is "Moon Palace" (they have a terrific vermilion colored sumi too).  I usually decant it into dinky dips to deal with the hydration/consistency problem.  But as @jeanwilson will tell you, the best sumi is sumi sticks.

@Lucie Y - I hope your family's feeling better soon, and that you get some quality R&R in front of that TV.  I really find your copperplate very attractive - well proportioned and delicate.  A great match for your intricate borders!

@Erica McPhee and @Zivio - You're both giving me "F" goals!  (although after their first midterm last week, some my students felt like I shouldn't write so many F's.  They're a good group of students, but for most of them, it was the first upper-division course they've ever had, and alas they did not cover themselves with glory)

But even though I didn't end up drawing a capital F, I was happy to get another chance to draw a colorful bird.  So many beautiful birds, so little time.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2022, 07:17:36 PM »
@K-2 - your best Copperplate yet and wow, that “fowl” jumps right off the page! Beautiful!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2022, 05:08:25 PM »
@AnasaziWrites - I concur with @Zivio "Julia" as in "Julia Child" to whom all Americans owe a debt of roast chicken.

Quite right. And what do you suppose she's cooking in this photo?
* Glad the sumi on broad edge is working out well for you.  Yes - try a few drops of water to thin out the old stuff.  Or open a new bottle.  It's not very expensive, but it does dry out fast.  It sounds like you might have Kuretake?  It's a good starter sumi, but my preferred sumi is "Moon Palace" (they have a terrific vermilion colored sumi too).  I usually decant it into dinky dips to deal with the hydration/consistency problem.  But as @jeanwilson will tell you, the best sumi is sumi sticks.
@K-2

Is this Kuretake? I hope it ages like soy sauce or good wine.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 05:10:13 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2022, 06:01:48 PM »
Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!

Yep, @AnasaziWrites - that's Kuretake sumi.  It's made from the same stuff as ink sticks, and as far as I know, like ink sticks, there's no reason it should ever go bad.  Even if it dries completely (and I've had to pry little pucks of it out of dinky dips), you can just reconstitute it and use it like normal.  On the other hand, I don't really think age improves it like fine wine, soy sauce or marriage, but it won't harm it either.

Thank you for your kind words about my copperplate, @Erica McPhee - That really gave me a little boost today!  I'm glad you liked the chicken too!
--yours, K

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2022, 09:56:29 AM »
Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!
Thank's Guy. You're close.

Yep, @AnasaziWrites - that's Kuretake sumi.  It's made from the same stuff as ink sticks, and as far as I know, like ink sticks, there's no reason it should ever go bad.  Even if it dries completely (and I've had to pry little pucks of it out of dinky dips), you can just reconstitute it and use it like normal.  On the other hand, I don't really think age improves it like fine wine, soy sauce or marriage, but it won't harm it either.
@K-2
Good to know.
That big bottle contains 6 times as much as the small bottle did when it was full. I'll have to move to brush painting to use that up in my lifetime.

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2022, 01:17:46 PM »
Did Julia ever really roast a Turducken?  It doesn't really seem on-brand for her.

That stamp collage definitely wins the clever award though, @AnasaziWrites - I actually have a Thanksgiving speciality that I make every year, based on the Turducken.  But it uses the wild game birds of the Northland, that we hunt up here: Goose, Duck, and Pheasant, as well as Chicken.  We call it the "Go-Phucken"

You can also try brush calligraphy with all that sumi!
--yours, K

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2022, 04:04:28 PM »
Did Julia ever really roast a Turducken?  It doesn't really seem on-brand for her.
@K-2
Probably not. It didn't become popular here until after Julia left us for that big kitchen in the sky, and probably wasn't taught this dish at Le Cordon Bleu anyway.
That stamp collage definitely wins the clever award though, @AnasaziWrites - I actually have a Thanksgiving speciality that I make every year, based on the Turducken.  But it uses the wild game birds of the Northland, that we hunt up here: Goose, Duck, and Pheasant, as well as Chicken.  We call it the "Go-Phucken"

If I weren't a vegetarian, I might like to try something like that. I know the Brits typically use a goose vs. a turkey.

You can also try brush calligraphy with all that sumi!
--yours, K
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 04:06:19 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2022, 12:28:12 AM »

auf Deutsch