Author Topic: A Christmas Themed Flourish.  (Read 1785 times)

Offline RoughDiamond

• View Profile
A Christmas Themed Flourish.
« on: December 02, 2022, 12:30:16 PM »
This was done on Lasercol 80gsm smooth black paper using Dr. Ph, Martin's BP white and a selection of gouache colours. The nib was a hunt 22B.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: A Christmas Themed Flourish.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 12:53:06 PM »
If I may join you in this theme.
Something I did for my Christmas envelopes two years ago. I'm working on this year's just now.
Gillott 604 ef, Strathmore Bristol smooth 100lb, McCaffery's Penman's black ink.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 12:59:21 PM »
It’s fills me with joy to see modern day penmen carrying on the tradition of the masters.  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline RoughDiamond

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 01:34:51 PM »
@AnasaziWrites ...yes of course please do join in. I'm keen to look at and examine fine pieces and I really like your piece. That is now in my study folder :)

@Erica McPhee I'm glad we all spread a little bit of joy here in addition to study material. As far as the subject of study is concerned (and I can only speak for myself of course) I think all of these disciplines are like music and learning music. When I really look into the pieces produced by the American and English writing masters, the actual individual components seem to be simple shapes. They repeat over and over again but in a cohesive way which gives that "Balance and Harmony" that Lupfer so often referred to. Even when we look at complex flourishes, the individual elements are simple......it is putting them together properly which I find very challenging. In addition I think I try to get too much in there and I must learn that "Less is More" in some respects.

With my analogy of music, the fundamentals are simple, you know there are individual notes, scales etc. which build to some of the most beautiful pieces that the human ear can appreciate.

I sometimes think I am trying to execute "The Flight Of The Bumblebee" while my talent level is more "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" I'm sure you know what I mean :)

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 08:49:26 PM »

I sometimes think I am trying to execute "The Flight Of The Bumblebee" while my talent level is more "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" I'm sure you know what I mean :)

I certainly know what you mean!
Lovely Christmas piece you posted above.

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 08:50:24 PM »
AnasaziWrites, very nice! I’m sure people were delighted to receive that amazing piece of art.

Offline RoughDiamond

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 11:47:15 PM »

I certainly know what you mean!
Lovely Christmas piece you posted above.

@tiffany.c.a ...Thank you :)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 10:28:21 AM »
As far as the subject of study is concerned (and I can only speak for myself of course) I think all of these disciplines are like music and learning music. When I really look into the pieces produced by the American and English writing masters, the actual individual components seem to be simple shapes. They repeat over and over again but in a cohesive way which gives that "Balance and Harmony" that Lupfer so often referred to. Even when we look at complex flourishes, the individual elements are simple......it is putting them together properly which I find very challenging. In addition I  think I try to get too much in there and I must learn that "Less is More" in some respects.

Yes! This exactly! I often say it is similar to learning to play a musical instrument or learning to dance. I use this analogy in the book I have been writing on flourishing techniques (word flourishing, not pictorial) which I don’t know if it will ever be finished.

I have seen this in my own work. The first is a snowflake flourish I did in 2014 (akin to middle school band).  Then one I did in 2016 (high school orchestra maybe). Even today I see the one in 2016 and know I could improve upon it. Maybe some day I will get to the symphony level like yours and Mike’s!  :) The delicacy of lines comes with progress and muscle strength. The design comes with careful study and recognition of the individual components you mention. And the final composure comes with putting it all together  ;D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 10:30:46 AM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 11:25:18 AM »
If I relate my flourishes to musical instrument learning, I’m still on 4th grade recorder!
But seriously, great analogy.

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 11:29:26 AM »
Erica, both your posts look “swell” to me. (get it?)

The second one looks straight out of a golden age penman’s journal.

Offline Staracalligraphy

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2022, 03:34:58 PM »
I love these! Thanks so much for sharing  :D

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2023, 07:15:32 AM »
Lovely thread and I have come here a bit late. But I must say all of your work is very interesting. Lovely work @AnasaziWrites and @RoughDiamond . Beautiful

Offline BrightStar

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2023, 10:09:39 AM »
Truly splendid and inspiring work! The attention to detail is remarkable. Must have taken hours to do those.