Author Topic: Hello from Greece  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Christo

• View Profile
Hello from Greece
« on: May 06, 2014, 05:00:33 AM »
Hello all! After coming across a video last week (by chance) of Mr DeCollibus writing Spencerian script, I started reading a little about calligraphy, discovered the IAMPETH site and have become completely hooked (for now anyway). I've been trying out so far with Tombow brush pens, pencil (& even a homemade flexible plastic nib on the end of a pencil!) Surprisingly, I have been quite pleased with the results, so decided to order some flexible nibs which I should hopefully receive one of these days (I can't wait!). This looked like a nice place and I thought I'd join - there can never be too many resources - It's great to see members here whose videos / blogs I've discovered this week !  Hopefully you will all be good with me :D

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
Re: Hello from Greece
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 05:54:40 AM »
Hello Chris! I'm a relative newbie too and I'm finding this forum to be an excellent resource.
I have tried to make a 'cola' pen before... using the tin from a coke can... but it sort of collapsed when I tried to write with it  :) and I have tried writing with bits of wood... these efforts were more successful.
I hope your nibs arrive soon - I hate waiting for nibs and ink that I'm desperate to try!

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 05:58:21 AM »
Hi Chris,

welcome! Isn't Spencerian beautiful?? I am learning it, too while you are waiting for your nibs and ink to arrive, you can start practicing with a regular pencil! That's a good way to get started, as it helps to focus on the letterforms ;).

I hope you have a good time here and with your calligraphy journey,

Stefanie
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Christo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 06:25:25 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome! I made the mistake of clicking on those links at the bottom of your posts and am not sure if it's encouraging or the other way round .. I definitely felt a bit more confident an hour ago !  ;D

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 02:29:17 PM »
This forum is all about encouragement 😉! Just start practicing and soon you'll have a lot of beautiful stuff to show!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 01:53:38 AM »
Welcome, Chris! I've been wondering if calligraphy was popular in the Greek alphabet, because of all of the wonderful Cyrillic calligraphy I've been seeing lately. I did find this blog that has copperplate-like Greek. Very beautiful!

Offline Christo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 05:22:22 AM »
Hi Lori! Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen their work.
I wouldn't say calligraphy is very common at all here anymore although some styles are still seen in religious texts / byzantine paintings, some book covers ..
You don't really see much hand lettering these days, which is a shame. Most would rather save time and money and just type something out on a computer than find someone to write it nicely / uniquely (This also applies to graphics and other things). As in other countries, handwriting is not taught in schools as it was in the past, so on average, handwriting is also much messier than it used to be! Hoping that with the current 'vintage' craze, calligraphy makes its way back here again!

There are some samples with Greek alphabet in these couple of sites I found by current calligraphers:

http://www.calligraphy-illumination.com/en/scriptures/scriptures-samples (scroll down a little & there are arrows to go through the samples)

https://www.facebook.com/CalligraphyByLenaSeptemvri

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 03:14:45 AM »
Thanks for sharing those links, Chris. The calligraphy and illumination are beautiful.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 10:01:33 AM »
Welcome Chris,
It seems you have been bitten by the calligraphy bug.  :) I appreciate your creative approach to learning and think you will do well when you receive your supplies. It's fun to be inventive though and Stefanie is right - you can learn and practice quite well with a pencil first.

I'm happy you found us and we look forward to seeing your work!
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline Christo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 02:19:10 AM »
Thanks Erica! This is a good place to tell you a huge 'Thank you' for the forum & all the work you've already put in for everyone.  (In other news, I'm still waiting for the nibs .. hopefully today ? (as I've been wishing all week  :D))