Author Topic: Inspirational Pieces  (Read 501 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Inspirational Pieces
« on: April 10, 2023, 10:15:52 AM »
What piece(s) of calligraphy inspire you the most? Why this piece (or these pieces) above all others? Has this changed over time? Has this changed the direction of your work? Post a photo/scan of this work if you have one., and any thoughts on it.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Inspirational Pieces
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 10:17:22 AM »
Ornamental Spencerian

This letter from A. D. Taylor is my current inspiration. I say current because my taste has evolved over the years as I have seen more and more works by the masters of the golden age as well as current practitioners. It was penned about 6 months before he died at age 35. To quote Michael Sull in his brief biography of Taylor, "Despite his youth, he is remembered as one of the most highly skilled penman of all time. His writing was phenomenal--it was considered to be the finest and most perfect that could be performed by the human hand." Zaner's comments pretty well sum up why I like this piece as well. Whenever I need a lesson in humility, I attempt to write in this style.
The piece is reproduced in C. P. Zaner's "Lessons in Ornamental Penmanship, c. 1920, revised 1933, (see scan below), and as noted does not do justice to the piece. I'll try to find where the original resides for a better copy (the scan at IAMPETH is also from this book).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 01:33:11 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 07:27:41 PM »
Thanks for posting up that image! I had looked it up, myself, when you'd mentioned it in another post, but the image in my PDF of the book was extremely light and low resolution.  Like you, I'd love to see an ever better representation.
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Mary_M

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 08:37:20 AM »
Those hairlines are remarkable! Looking at this I get the same peace I get walking into a chapel - such quiet beauty and grace. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Vintage_BE

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 01:47:41 PM »
I am focusing on (learning to write) Spencerian, but the roundhand/engrossersí exemplars in the Zanerian Manual (see excerpt below) make me pause (in awe) every time I look at them. The cover of the Spencer Brothersí ď New Standard Practical PenmanshipĒ (with shaded lowercase characters) betrays (to my untrained eye) the close relationship between both hands.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 02:49:24 PM »
I am still thinking of which is my favorite. Itís like choosing a favorite child.  ;D

That letter is remarkable. Let me know if itís in the Scranton archives and I will try to a get a good photo of it when I am there this summer.  ;)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2023, 04:40:23 PM »
My favorite piece of Kurrentschrift is by Thomas Peter Verharne, c. 1821. Kurrentschrift evolved greatly over the 5 or so centuries it was used, and most appealing to my eye are the versions taught in the 19th C. If such a term exists, I'd call this "ornamental Kurrentschrift," which reminds me of ornamental Spencerian. The second piece, also by Verharne, shows a less ornamental treatment, more standard, shall we say.
(These pieces are too large for my scanner, so these are photos)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 05:24:19 PM »
I am still thinking of which is my favorite. Itís like choosing a favorite child.  ;D

That letter is remarkable. Let me know if itís in the Scranton archives and I will try to a get a good photo of it when I am there this summer.  ;)
Thanks.
There are a few Taylor items that are digitized, but not this. I'll inquire further.

Offline Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2023, 05:16:09 AM »
My favorite piece of Kurrentschrift is by Thomas Peter Verharne, c. 1821. Kurrentschrift evolved greatly over the 5 or so centuries it was used, and most appealing to my eye are the versions taught in the 19th C. If such a term exists, I'd call this "ornamental Kurrentschrift," which reminds me of ornamental Spencerian. The second piece, also by Verharne, shows a less ornamental treatment, more standard, shall we say.
(These pieces are too large for my scanner, so these are photos)

Wow! That is beautiful.

Gary
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 04:20:49 PM by Erica McPhee »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2023, 04:22:09 PM »
Ö If such a term exists, I'd call this "ornamental Kurrentschrift," which reminds me of ornamental Spencerian.

And this is the first time I have ever had the desire to learn Kurrentschrift!!! Beautiful!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2023, 10:17:43 AM »
Roundhand. This piece by Gorge Bland appeared in "The Universal Penman," by Bickham, and is the piece that inspired me to take up calligraphy (almost two decades before I started Spencerian). It is somewhat atypical of the pieces in the UP (although there is a similar piece by Champion also), in that it is adds some ornamental loops, and appears to my eye a little less formal. When I saw it, I thought I would like to write letters that way, in that style.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 10:54:30 AM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2023, 10:05:09 AM »
I am going to have to go with CP Zaner letter for Spencerian as my current inspiration.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram