Author Topic: Beach Calligraphy Workshops  (Read 321 times)

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
Beach Calligraphy Workshops
« on: April 18, 2023, 01:52:06 PM »
I’ve recently made contact with Andrew van der Merwe, on Instagram: @beachscriber  https://www.instagram.com/beachscriber/

His “Beach Calligraphy” was once the subject of an article in the IAMPETH journal.  I’m fascinated by his techniques, innovation and creation of tools, many from found objects, with which he creates beautiful ephemeral art.  Check out some of his reels and photos – they are mesmerizing and satisfying to watch.

You may have seen some of my own Sandserian efforts in the forum. Really, just playing around, but I recently made a SandPen tool I’d copied from Andrew.

Andrew has sent me a DM me about his beach calligraphy workshops:

“I'm coming to the US to present workshops again. So far we have Chicago, Massachusetts, Miami and South Padre Island on board. I'm still putting out feelers with other societies so if you know any up that way, I'll be keen to make contact.”

He doesn’t know I’m putting this up on the forum, but my admiration and respect for his work compels me to try to do him a favor and reach out to see if there are any calligraphy groups near beaches in the USA that may have interest in his workshops.  I personally live in a very rural area, so there isn’t much of an opportunity here, except for the long expanses of beach. 

« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 02:25:25 PM by Zivio »
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Beach Calligraphy Workshops
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 06:11:24 PM »
AWesome! I will forward this info to the Coastal Calligraphers Guild in Sarasota. It is right next to Siesta Key beach the number one rated beach in the United States many times.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram