Author Topic: Verve …  (Read 387 times)

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
Verve …
« on: January 04, 2024, 04:11:56 PM »
TL;DR —

I am sharing this recent work of my hand, something I only rarely do on Flourish Forum. I have seen so many splendid and skilled contributions from true calligraphy adepts on this forum since joining … this will not be one of them.

However, it is because of the things about it you CANNOT see, that I decided to post it up.  Let me explain:

My goals, with respect to penmanship, from the start have been to completely rebuild my “everyday handwriting” from scratch, as it were. No special presentation pieces or framable art for me — just handwriting. I greatly admire the charm and simple, wabi-sabi aesthetic of writing from the heart …

... THIS is what I love!

Beautiful handwriting, though, especially that which appears to have been dashed off in a devil-may-care fashion has been particularly appealing! The smoothness of lines and flourishes — true flourishes that are zipped off like the crack of a whip and not laboriously drawn — I’m uncertain whether I actually see this or maybe feel it.  Well, I have seen it in a few of @Erica McPhee’s videos and hear an imaginary and triumphant “Ta Da!” every time I witness her speedy and effortless flourishing technique! …

... THIS is what I’m after.

So last night, my dear younger brother Al came to mind. I pulled out a sheet of copy paper and dashed this off!  I just let ‘er rip, as it were. No planning. No measuring, just handwriting.  And I was pleased! Hard to come by self-congratulations for this typically negativity-biased, self-critical soul... 

... THIS is why I’m sharing.

A few other “behind the scenes” technical details to explain this post:

- I’ve been encouraging myself to try different tools and materials. I just grabbed a Pentel Fude (XFL2L) brush pen, something I don’t practice using and with which I have little experience.  It felt like writing with a soggy piece of linguine, but I did it! 

- Against Michael Sull’s expert and practical advice, I have been confining myself to whole arm/muscular writing technique to avoid falling back into 60+ years of finger-writing muscle memory. In his writings, Sull advises hybrid finger-arm technique due to the difficulty and time required to train those large muscles. He is correct, and neuroplasticity be damned, I think it may be even more challenging for brains of a certain age. But yeah, it can feel most “dashed-offedly” when it works, and after 3+ years of practice it is starting to happen.

- My usual x-height is 2-3 mm … I don’t practice at the size of this piece (this is on 8-1/2 x 11 sheet.)  Wow, I don’t think I’ll ever have to worry about addressing a package in devil-may-care fashion!

- I’d mentioned no measuring or planning, but add to that no guidelines. I very much surprised myself by the layout and slant consistency that happened without trying. Layout could certainly be improved on a second attempt, but I just wasn’t really thinking about it.

For any of you who may have read this TL;DR expose, thanks for listening. It is meant primarily for my own mental health/self-therapy to get out of the defeating habits of disqualifying the positive and withering self-criticism. Writing and journaling has been good medicine for me.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 09:32:39 AM by Erica McPhee »
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Vintage_BE

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Verve …
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 05:11:53 PM »
I’ve told you before and I’ll tell you again: you are a man of many talents.  Simply do it and write, your penmanship is very much worth of sharing. Bravo.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 09:33:13 AM by Erica McPhee »

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 09:02:59 AM »
Arrrekk.. showofff!

Show us some more ;D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 09:33:25 AM by Erica McPhee »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 05:25:17 PM »
I love this post on so many levels! It made me laugh and smile a bunch! And

TADA

Such verve, such style, such laissez-faire! LOVE it!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 09:33:35 AM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2024, 02:45:12 PM »
@Zivio, I’m glad you shared this.
Picking up a pen and writing in a cathartic moment can be truly special. I’ve had this type of moment too, years ago, when I just picked up a brush marker and wrote my parents’ names shortly after my father’s passing (my mother had departed years before him). The letter size of their names was way too big for the brush size, but it wasn’t about that anyway.
Good to see you’re allowing your writing to have a therapeutic side and not only the discipline side of it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 02:47:51 PM by tiffany.c.a »

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 03:30:11 PM »
@ …
Good to see you’re allowing your writing to have a therapeutic side and not only the discipline side of it.

Ah, well stated, dear soul. And thank YOU for sharing your story! My mind immediately seized upon an image of two little cookbooks my late Mom had put together for my younger brother and me, in her own neat handwriting. She lost her mother when but a child of six … and shared the endearment she felt when finding and using recipes written in her own Mom’s hand.

That is the “soul of the writing” I might have been trying to express when I couldn’t decide whether  it is what I see, or rather what I feel when encountering some handwriting.  :-*
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 03:33:38 PM by Zivio »
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace