Author Topic: Guide to Choosing a Brush Pen for Calligraphy  (Read 11945 times)

Offline Sarah Foutz

• Write on!
    • View Profile
Re: Guide to Choosing a Brush Pen for Calligraphy
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 06:17:36 PM »
Looks like they reformatted the blog - but I found it by looking up blog posts from April.

Here you go:
http://www.jetpens.com/blog/guide-to-choosing-a-brush-pen-for-calligraphy/pt/621

Why thank you!!! For a newbie, this is super duper helpful. So much to learn!!! So many supplies....;)

So which ones do you personally prefer, Linda??
Sarah Pearl Foutz
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You, too? I thought I was the only one!" C.S. Lewis
http://instagram.com/sarahpearlstudio

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 09:14:13 PM »
Sure thing, Sarah!

I haven't tried as many as I'd like, but so far I really like the Tombow Dual Brush, the Pentel Color Brush, and the Pentel Sign Pen.

Offline Lyra Pandy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 02:18:46 AM »
Thanks for sharing this, Linda! This is a great resource.
I like to write words, make stamps, and wrap gifts.
Let's be friends. :)
@lee_lye on Instagram

Offline Julia K-P

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 09:31:06 PM »
*Sees website.... is entranced* my brand new friend! Nostalgic Impressions +! *spends hoers surfing*
I'm a crazy little poet Yeah!

Offline portia_hand

• Freshman Member
  • Believe you can, and you're halfway there.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 09:05:32 PM »
Oh thanks for this, Linda! I just saw this thread and I needed this!  ;)
Portia

IG portia_hand

Offline Judy G

• I can be bribed with cookies and ice cream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 12:49:12 AM »
Thanks for sharing, Linda! I'm really curious to try out brush calligraphy, but don't know where to start. (Actually, there are so many [pen] discoveries lately [thanks to instagram] that it makes me want to  buy every single one them!) *giggles*
Judy G [joo-dee]
food blog | instagram | twitter

Offline MaeAcedo

• Freshman Member
  • Less is More
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 05:53:19 AM »
Thanks Linda! This is very helpful!

Unlike me who chose a brush pen because of the cute bunnies on it!   ;D

Hi, can you give a review about the Sailor Brush pen?? :)

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 12:39:38 AM »
Thanks for sharing, Linda! I'm really curious to try out brush calligraphy, but don't know where to start. (Actually, there are so many [pen] discoveries lately [thanks to instagram] that it makes me want to  buy every single one them!) *giggles*

I find that everyone has their own preferences! If you can go to a stationery shop to try them out, that's the best way to find one that fits your lettering style. Daiso also has cheap (but good quality!) brush pens, I don't feel so bad buying each one to try  ;D

Offline Achaneystudio

• View Profile
    • www.achaneystudio.com
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 03:53:11 PM »
Thank you so much! This is amazing!!! As someone struggling hard with brush lettering, this is some extra motivation to find my pen and get movin!    ;D

Offline bunkie68

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2016, 01:49:31 PM »
How timely that I found this thread!  I want to start experimenting with brush pens, and I'm very glad to have an idea of where to start.  :)

Unlike me who chose a brush pen because of the cute bunnies on it!   ;D

Was the quote you wrote a reference to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, by chance?  :)  And I love the bunnies on your pen!
~*~Lisa~*~

Offline misstinydoodler

• Shiela Ramirez-Sison
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2016, 02:08:35 AM »
Thanks for this info, Linda!!! :)
Shiela Ramirez-Sison
Interior Designer ~ Name and Monogram Designer ~ Calligraphy enthusiast
Here's my Instagram profile!

Offline reneewrites

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2016, 09:26:02 PM »
Looks like they reformatted the blog - but I found it by looking up blog posts from April.

Here you go:
http://www.jetpens.com/blog/guide-to-choosing-a-brush-pen-for-calligraphy/pt/621

thanks, Linda for sharing this! great tips! :)
renee
graphic designer. illustrator. calligraphist.
instagram | facebook

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2016, 12:41:20 PM »
Has anyone actually ordered from Jetpens.com? I placed an order and had it shipped 2 day priority and it's missing in action. So out of courtesy jetpens sent out a replacement and we will see if I get it. I have said it before I can not stand the United States Post Office, I always have trouble out of them. Orders being lost or late. Happens more than you would expect. Anyhow I will never use them again. I will pay more for UPS or FedEx. But back to my question the only thing I do not like about jetpens is the only way to get in touch with them is email. Then it takes half a day or more to get back with you.

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2016, 04:44:17 PM »
My experience with the post office and my discussions with friends who are postal workers as well as friends who have problems with the US postal system is that the quality of the service varies by location. Some areas have a lot of problems, others do not. If you are stuck in an area that has problems, there isn't much you can do about it. There are endless stories about terrible things that happen and then there are heart warming stories about postal workers who go out of their way to help customers and correct errors. It sounds like you are in one of those unfortunate places where the service is not good, so you might UPS and FedEx would be the way to go.

Even though I am in an area with excellent service and I have friends within the system who have helped track lost items - I still recommend to clients that they use only FedEx and UPS for their envelopes. I use a franchise shipping store and in over 10 years, the owner has never had a lost package. A couple times there were significant delays, but the package always showed up. Even thought the USPS offers tracking, they still manage to lose things.

I agree that it would be nicer to speak with a live person in customer service at JetPens, but, I can see how it would be an expense to staff customer service reps. They would have to pass the cost on to the customers which would make the items more expensive and I believe they are trying to keep their prices pretty low. I have never had a problem with them. Most of my orders are for hard to find colors or for trying new products. The free shipping on orders over $25 is pretty attractive.

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2016, 05:29:56 PM »
Thank you Jean, yes my area is definitely a bad one. Funny story I called them the other day when I got home (my local post office) five minutes before they closed. She put me on hold and never came back, of course doing it on purpose. I held for fifteen minutes hung up and called back. No answer because they closed. I have complained before on my postman and the next day I had my City ordinance show up and wrote me up for several "infractions". Keep in mine that no one can see any of this stuff except my postman. I know it sounds like coincidence but the fifteen years I have lived here the City had never bothered me.  He called personally there is no doubt in my mind. In fact the head of that department has been on my property before and said nothing. Long story short I have to grin and bear it.