Author Topic: How to get my lines straight  (Read 3351 times)

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
How to get my lines straight
« on: October 21, 2015, 06:56:38 PM »
Hello,

I just started calligraphy (today) and I noticed my lines are very . . . uneven. I try to draw a straight line, but it ends up all crooked and shaky -- even when I use the slant lines. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to fix this?

Thank you

Offline HappyHaley

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Haley Ping Arts
Re: How to get my lines straight
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 09:50:32 PM »
Do you mean your guidelines? Or your lettering? If guidelines, I like to use a Linex liner so interliner spacing is perfect and quick. If lettering, it just takes time and practice to get control of your muscles.  ;) 

~Haley

Offline seanlanefuller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 10:42:31 PM »
I've only just begun, but I know the finish, grain, weight, etc. of the paper have a big impact on my lines.  What paper are you using for practice?

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 11:02:04 PM »
If you mean the lines that you're actually drawing with your pen (upstrokes, downstrokes, etc.), you're not alone!  I think a lot of us start off a bit (or, like me, a lot) shaky.  For your first day, that is not unusual.  So, ditto what Haley said about getting the muscle control down.  Hopefully your paper is nice and smooth, because of what Sean mentioned, but really, you're likely to be a little wobbly on even the smoothest sheet on your first day (and beyond).  Keep at it! 

Edit: I should mention that your arm movement and how you're holding your pen will impact your steadiness over time.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 11:04:17 PM by Bianca M »

Offline seanlanefuller

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 11:30:48 PM »
I've only been doing pointed nib calligraphy for a couple of weeks, but I had an epiphany tonight.  I should have realized it to begin with.  It was probably even mentioned in one of the tutorials here, but it probably didn't sink in because I wanted to see how to draw the letters.  I think I was holding the pen wrong.  The nib should be aligned with the slanted guidelines.  You just have to rotate the pen holder to get the oblique nib to align with the guidelines.  It definitely made an improvement for me.

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 01:40:59 AM »
Yes, there is definitely discussion in the forum about how to hold your pen, and posture, etc.  Probably more than one or two.  This one has a great video by Harvest Crittenden of how to position yourself, posted by Kelly/kmedina (see four posts down): http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=3512.0  - really, this is a worthwhile watch for those starting out.

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 09:04:15 AM »
Thanks everyone for all your wonderful suggestions! I'll watch the video, Bianca. And thanks Sean for the suggestion of lining up my nib with the paper.

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 11:32:29 AM »
Carina, don't twist your hand position to align with your guidelines. You should lift your arm—with penholder—above your desk then let it drop naturally down in front of you, centred between your shoulders. Then turn your paper so your guidelines match the angle of your nib. :)

This video by Joe Vitolo explains it well:

https://youtu.be/1CqzUU3wdXs

Also, a lot of the problems with shakes come from writing hesitantly. When you first start your brain doesn't understand the forms you're trying to produce so you can't write confidently and naturally, this leads to shakes because you're trying to think about the stroke and write at the same time. I've had a lot of issues with shaky hands since I started. Don't worry, it'll get better!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 11:36:02 AM by Andrew H »
Andrew

@andrewdh

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 09:59:01 AM »
start with warm up exercises...here's one.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 06:26:10 PM by InkyFingers »

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 10:51:19 AM »
start with warm up exercises...here's one.

Bruh. This is awesome. But I don't have access to a newspaper. Drat. Oh well, there are several books in the library . . . ha. Just kidding. I'll figure something out -- I know!! I'll just print a document and trace the lines like you said. Thank you InkyFingers!

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 09:25:27 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quality-Laser-Edge-Level-Straight-Line-Guide-Leveler-Horizontal-Measure-Tool-/121514658508?hash=item1c4ad68acc:g:r9wAAOSwofxUiTQR

how cheap can it get, to get your lines straight?  Laser Guide Line.  Buy 1 no... buy 10!!  no more pencil marks.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 09:53:23 PM »