Author Topic: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 4  (Read 29808 times)

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
Re: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 4
« Reply #165 on: March 03, 2019, 08:31:44 AM »
Thanks again, Deb.
The blog is a good place to share all the things I have accumulated over the years.
No point in keeping things in files and drawers....

Offline Diane Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 03, 2019, 09:41:05 AM »
@Salman Khattak

I have been practicing the spacing, and after reading Joan's blog tried the method and I feel the spacing in the attempt is better.

I look forward to your input.

Diane

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 03, 2019, 09:44:58 AM »
Oh, Diane. The spacing looks very nice to me. Easily readable. I think you did a great job!

Offline Diane Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 03, 2019, 11:30:08 AM »
Thanks Debi, I am a lot happier with this one, still a lot to fix especially the ascender and defenders.

Your last attempt looks great, you must be please with the progress.

Regards

Diane

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 06, 2019, 05:39:25 PM »
Hi Diane,

Sorry for the lateness of my response!  I think your slant is so consistent, and far, far better than mine. I struggle with that slant constantly, unless I’m using grid paper with lots of slant lines. You are way ahead of me. Keep up the good work!

Debi

Offline KristinT

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 06, 2019, 11:00:20 PM »
Hi folks, I hope you don't mind if I jump in with a comment.  First of all Debi and Diane, I just want to say that it's SO encouraging to watch your progression through these exercises.  It can be easy to be blind to our own progress, so I want you to know that from an outside perspective the improvements you've each made are abundantly evident.  :)  I am learning Copperplate as well and have taken to heart many of the philosophies and techniques from this tutorial.  With that said, I AM still learning, so please know that I don't profess to be at anything higher than an intermediate level (when I'm feeling confident, at that!).

Debi, regarding your slant issues I have an idea.  I know Salman has ideas he's touched on for slant problems as well, like paper position in order to make the right muscle habits.  I've found that helped me a LOT and I don't have to rely on the lines as much.  However, in your case I've noticed several times in your examples the way you interact with the slant lines: your slant often becomes better in conjunction to proximity of the line, unfortunately, your spacing changes.  I don't think the spacing is as much of an issue lately, but it used to be (in my estimations) that you would often crowd yourself in order to accommodate the line; as if it were a hard stop, or a period, that you really wanted to fit your sentence into.  In other words you sometimes start compressing your letters when you're coming up on a slant line.  Have you tried using a lighter slant line in your guidelines?  Maybe just 30% or so to see if that affects any unconscious habits you have.  This is a purely visual change, but we do make adjustments in our everyday writing in order to accommodate the space that we "see" that we have.  Maybe it will be easier to use as the intermittent reference it should be, rather than the law of the letters immediately adjacent to it.  Does that make sense?  I can try explaining another way if you're interested.  At any rate, if you feel I'm speaking out of turn please let me know and disregard this advice, or if you just don't think it applies to your situation.  Again, I really value watching the progress and learning process of other people on the same journey I am, so this idea is intended with utmost respect. 

Happy Practicing,
Kristin

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 07, 2019, 12:27:02 AM »
Hi Kristin!

Thanks So much for jumping in. It’s always great to get another person’s perspective on the problems I’m having, and I appreciate your take on the slant issues. I do realize I start to cramp the letters, but I never noticed that it might be an unconscious thought that the slant line is coming up. Wow! Astute observation!! I’ll give your suggestion a try, and now that I’m aware that I’m doing this, I’ll try to relax more and not let my letters cramp up and become so upright. Great idea, and I thank you so much! Please, don’t hold back your thoughts and comments. There is no ‘them’ and ‘us.’ There is just us, and we’re all trying to learn. When we can reach out and help someone else, that extra set of eyes is a terrific help.

Thank you again!

Debi

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 07, 2019, 02:20:14 AM »
Diane, Thank you for the idea of lighter slant lines, to see it if tricks my brain into relaxing, and not cramping up the letters so closely when I get near the slant. Here’s my try. I made other mistakes, but I think in general, the idea worked well! The slant looks more consistent and a bit more relaxed to me.
Even if other elements are still wonky. *grin*

Thank you again for the great idea!

Debi

Offline Diane Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 08, 2019, 03:20:21 PM »
Sorry Debi, but in the words of Shaggy "it wasn't me"  ;D lol..

The idea of the slant lines came from Kristin, and what a good idea, it seems to have worked for you. 

I tend to turn my page, a tip I got from Salman, I also had a sheet with slant lines every 8 mm which helped, but I didn't want to start relying on it so used it until I was happier with the slant.

Happy penning

Diane

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 08, 2019, 08:47:01 PM »
Dear Diane,

Please label me “DUH!”  That was indeed meant for Kristin. I was just writing while thinking of you and the spacing, and how much your latest practice sheet had improved. Sheesh, I’m such an airhead. I’d like to blame it all on autocorrect, but I can’t. Hah! SORRRRY! 

And Sorry, Kristin!

Scatterbrained Debi in Las Vegas.
It’s all the the neon lights. I’m sure they did it...*grin*

Offline KristinT

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 10, 2019, 04:30:29 PM »
Lol, no worries!  Happy penning, ladies!