Author Topic: Soviet Brush pen nibs  (Read 590 times)

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
Soviet Brush pen nibs
« on: March 24, 2017, 12:34:10 PM »
I had fun with my recent project making a big sign for my son's play. For that I used a .5" brass brush pen. That got me thinking about some vintage Soviet "poster nibs" I had been seeing out on eBay for a while. I finally pulled the trigger, and the package came yesterday all the way from The Ukraine.

These are really fun! They're bent metal and there's no inner baffling to store lots of ink, so they run out fairly quickly. (the 2 cm one has to be dipped practically on every stroke), but for the price, they are quite nice. The smaller sizes get a little thick on the thin strokes, but I suspect I can fix that with a tiny bit of judicious metal work. I made up a sheet of 9"x12" cotton comp paper using just some Ancient Copper fountain pen ink. You can see the sizes and the nibs.

I think Igor has 4 more sets for sale. If you want to do some big writing for a cheap price, this might be an opportunity.

Just thought I'd share.

Andrew

edit to add: That is a full sheet of 9"x12" paper, so that should give you some indication of scale. The 2 cm nib makes a line just over 3/4" wide for those from non-metric countries.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 12:36:21 PM by AAAndrew »
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline Christo

• View Profile
Re: Soviet Brush pen nibs
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 04:51:07 PM »
Nice! If I'm not mistaken, I one day read a tip to cut a little piece of foam and insert it in the gap of those poster pens to carry more ink or carry ink longer (empty slower?).  I didn't try it yet but maybe it's worth a shot?